Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Aunt to Sue Nephew After $1.2M Lotto Win

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Aunt to Sue Nephew After $1.2M Lotto Win

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...orks-1.4745803

What a shame. She put her nephew's name on the ticket, but says she never intended to split the grand prize...only the 50/50 prize. Sigh. Small-minded people are tiring. YOU put the kids name on the ticket, just accept that YOU might have screwed up if you didn't want to split the prize with him. She says she put his name on it for good luck. Now, the family will be lucky to not have a major rift in it. Lawyers will be the only winners here. (sorry LawMan, no disrespect intended! lol)
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Aunt to Sue Nephew After $1.2M Lotto Win

What a ****ing idiot. You put the name on the ticket. Accept that you ****ed up, take your half, and shut up.

It's not that surprising though - there are endless stories of brain-dead lottery winners. I'm sure it has something to do with the types of people that generally buy lottery tickets...

Dobber Sports Icon

...and a lot of them blow it all in the first year, even the bigger ones. I'd like to say I could handle it but who the hell knows?

When I was in my 20's I probably would have ended up dead with that kind of windfall
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I can take half if she would rather me have it!! People helping people!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Deity

Being in NS, this is all over the news down this way. It's comical to be honest. Who says money isn't everything when it comes to someone you considered to be "like a son" to you.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    ...and a lot of them blow it all in the first year, even the bigger ones. I'd like to say I could handle it but who the hell knows?

When I was in my 20's I probably would have ended up dead with that kind of windfall
    I read a stat that said that 40 percent of Canadians who win lotteries of over 5 million dollars, end up declaring bankruptcy at some point later in their lives. Not sure if it's true or not, but it ties into this type of mindset from PD.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Deity

Well ya gotta think in this case, they will be spending more then they should on lawyers.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    I read a stat that said that 40 percent of Canadians who win lotteries of over 5 million dollars, end up declaring bankruptcy at some point later in their lives. Not sure if it's true or not, but it ties into this type of mindset from PD.

Rylant
    I'm sure it is true. I've seen a program on TV about winners that blew it all. One guy in the USA was working at McDonalds when he won about $3 million. He said he was miserable the whole time he had the money and within 4 years I believe, it was gone and was back working at McDonalds. He said he was happy again.

That kind of money just isn't for everyone. Your life changes more ways than one.

Dobber Sports Ninja

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...#comments-area

More details on this pathetically sad story. Can't wait to see how the case turns out in court! lol
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Titan

Who gets the feeling the kid will come out of this with a damaged relationship with his parents, no more aunt, but gets a house, gets a vehicle and lives a good life. But the aunt ends up with $0, and no family now, and lives super bitter.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Veteran

This isn't even about stupidity, it simply just comes down to greed. You put his name on it for good luck, and got lucky. Be content that you won more than a free ticket and split half with a family member. I'd rather have 50% of 1.2M than 100% of nothing.
    16 Team - Keep 5 - H2H Points
    Start: 2C/2LW/2RW/4D/2G - 4Bench
    G/A(1.25) STP(1.5) GWG(3) SOG(0.25) H(0.2) Blks(0.25) +/-(0.25) PIM(0.1) FOW(0.1)

C: Malkin, Kopitar, Hartman, Johansen
    LW: Ovechkin, Pacioretty, Barbashev (C)
    RW: Rust, Mangiapane (LW), Rodrigues (LW)
    D: DeAngelo, Karlsson, Faulk, Morrisey, Myers
    G: A. Forsberg, Price, Reimer, Holtby

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by saucelife90 View Post
    This isn't even about stupidity, it simply just comes down to greed. You put his name on it for good luck, and got lucky. Be content that you won more than a free ticket and split half with a family member. I'd rather have 50% of 1.2M than 100% of nothing.
    The love of money is the root of all evil (and stupidity in this case)

Dobber Sports All-Star

Truly though, the kid should take the $200,000 his aunt offered him and STFU. She obviously purchased the ticket and like she said, he will probably inherit the rest of whats left eventually anyways.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    Truly though, the kid should take the $200,000 his aunt offered him and STFU. She obviously purchased the ticket and like she said, he will probably inherit the rest of whats left eventually anyways.
    If I got the story right, the kid purchased the ticket for the aunt and told him to put his name on the ticket for luck. Unless the aunt told him that she wasn't going to split the grand prize with him, and it's really what SHE can prove, then she should accept the fact she screwed up. I get that if she did have that agreement with the kid, then she feels betrayed, which would explain why she comes across as very angry.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    If I got the story right, the kid purchased the ticket for the aunt and told him to put his name on the ticket for luck. Unless the aunt told him that she wasn't going to split the grand prize with him, and it's really what SHE can prove, then she should accept the fact she screwed up. I get that if she did have that agreement with the kid, then she feels betrayed, which would explain why she comes across as very angry.
    According to your link, she said that she always puts Tyrone's name on her tickets for good luck.

Hey, Tyrone MacInnis is her address. She just forgot to write down her number.

EDIT Also, the aunt emailed her nephew the $100 to buy the ticket.