Thread: Draft Strategy Thoughts?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Draft Strategy Thoughts?

I am looking for advice re: draft strategy. I obviously need to draft only wingers and D men haha...

With a limited Keeper, who do you target with the first round and on? Traditionally, i have targeted the best available players based upon expected production in the next year, I have looked for value in each round and underperforming players that I've expected to turn it around.

I have stayed away from drafting rookies for the most part with my picks. This strategy has worked well for me as I have won my league overall in 2 of the past 3 years and finished 2nd in the other year.

That being said, I'm not getting new top players/prospects to re-fresh my lineup. (I have gotten lucky w/ getting Boeser off the wire). I also drafted Pastrnak in a late round in 2015 but traded him for Andersen - Thus, I am getting value off the wire or in later rounds.

However, at what point should I be looking to really draft for the future? What are thoughts on draft placement of elite prospects? Obviously Dahlin and Svechnikov will go early, but where do you draft Pettersson or other guys that may not perform as well as you would like in the current season when much more helpful players for the current year are available - and will not be there as the draft gets into deeper rounds.

My thoughts are that I'm set to win now so go for the win. I'd like to start gearing up for the future a little bit though as well as my core ages and our keeper pool is expanding to 12 next season.

To the forum: What are your draft strategies with limited keepers that you have thought worked well?
    League: H2H - Keep 15
    Managers: 12
    Rosters: 25 (4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 5BN)

Scoring Categories: G, A, P, +/-, PPG, PPA, SHP, GWG, SOG, FW, BLK, HIT, W, L, GAA, SV, SV%, SO

Projected Keepers in Bold (Rebuild)
    C: Bedard, Suzuki, Cozens, Lundell
    LW: Laine, Raymond, Zegras, Byfield
    RW: Caufield, Jarvis, Perfetti, Kakko, Kaliyev, Marchenko,
    D: Seider, Bouchard, L. Hughes, Sanderson, Korchinski, Romanov, Brodin
    G: Demko, Thompson, Kochetkov
    2023 Picks Rd: (1: 1, 3, 12), (3: 25), (4: 37), (5: 51, 57), (6: 63), 7, 8

Championships: 2016, 2018, 2019

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Draft Strategy Thoughts?

I started always trying to find the next big thing (young and potential) and although I found a few gems, there were alot of misses too. Also, often times you are drafting a young guy HOPING he'll break out; meanwhile a veteran is available that consistently produces the same numbers you are hoping to get from the youngster. I go with proven now when it comes to drafting and look for the gems on the waiver wire, where they are most often found anyways.

I also used to try to plug holes on my roster (I'm in a limited Keeper as well) so for instance reaching for a mediocre goalie when there are great forwards available (simply because there's only a handful of goalies available, or because I needed a goalie). It never works and you get stuck with a Brian Elliot or Scott Darling. Now I take best available regardless of position.

Since I've moved to best available and proven, results have improved dramatically.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

In partial keeper leagues without a "minors" roster, any young player that isn't on an opening NHL roster is likely not worth drafting by a competitive team.
    In H2H leagues, its good to draft those young rookies because they may be solid players by your H2H playoffs (March/April).
    And, its guaranteed you can trade them to bottom-half league teams for a GREAT return of veterans.

I think it is important to have a mix of players.
    Its all about having some trade flexibility.
    If you draft all youth - and all the competing teams want vets... you are screwed.
    If you draft all vets - and the rebuilding teams want youth... you are screwed.
    So draft a bit of both, mostly based on feel of BPA.

As youth goes, wingers (like Svechnikov) are most dynamic early performers in the NHL.
    Put some thought towards those guys.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I would think of it similar to an NHL team and how they make their team. Since your team is strong, I would keep going with what you're doing (bpa) and look to see what you can pick up off FA and later round investments in prospects.

Again, your team is good, so you're always going to have late picks. To keep your team sustainable, you should concentrate on players more in their draft +1 year who may be available and ignore the new picks because you're never going to get them (unless someone drops for no reason).

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Also - something to keep in mind - have a look at previous drafts. How likely is it that your first pick stays on your team the whole year? First 2 picks? And so forth. I use that in my leagues as a way of determining general value of picks and when to take risks.