Thread: Bidding War for my Provorov

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Bidding War for my Provorov

Hi Everyone,

All of the sudden today I have received 2 offers from separate gms for Provorov. I will be entering the 2nd year in a keeper league after coming in as an expansion team this last season. Obviously he is the crown jewel of my defense, and I was counting on him being a cornerstone of my team for years to come.

The first offer: OEL, Trouba, and a 2nd Rounder for Provorov and N. Patrick. My initial reaction is to decline this.
    The seconde offer: Seth Jones for Provorov straight up.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!
    9 Team Dynasty Pool. 30 Players, 20 Active (12 F, 6 D, 2 G). 10 Reserves. 20 Roster moves allowed per season.
    Forwards Points Only, D Points, Hits, Blocks, Goalies Wins and Shutouts.
    Drop 10 players in the offseason for free agent draft before season.

Forwards: Barzal, Forsberg, Guentzl, Buchnevic, Barkov, W. Nylander, P. Kane, Crosby, Fiala, Zibanejad, Vrana, Zuccarello, Pavelski, Tarasenko, Kreider, B. Schenn
    Defence: Fox, Sergachev, Pietrangelo, Letang, Karlsson, Hamilton, Spurgeon, Sandin, Boqvist, Matheson

Goal: Hellebuyck, Campbell, Skinner, Murray

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Bidding War for my Provorov

1st offer is not good, due to Patrick. Provorov is atier ahead of OEL for me in your setup, but Provorov is much younger.

2nd offer is somewhat tempting, because Jones seems likely to outpoint Provorov, but Provorov is actually outscoring Jones in same-age seasons.

I'd tell them both that you have multiple offers, and none of the offers are good enough right now.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Stud

Beware that when you are a new owner in an already established league, other owners might try to take advantage of you at the beginning. So if all of a sudden you get multiple offers for your best D player, tread carefully.
    that being said, jones for provorov is not a bad offer (the first one is, as mentioned above, due to Patrick's involvement). however, in leagues that count hits and blocks, provorov is very close to becoming elite. jones had an awesome season, but long term, provorov might be a step ahead. I would see what else I could get along with jones for provorov, and then consider it, as it is close enough that another piece coming your way might make it worth it.

GET WELL SOON, DOBBER.

Dobber Sports Deity

Is your league a H2H format or is it simply a points format (get a certain amount of points for Dpoints, points for hits, points for blocks, etc). Your sig is kind of vague on your league setup (but good for having that info that you have in there ).

I am just curious how important the hits and blocks are and how they determine the value.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks guys! Yeah I figured the first offer was a non-starter. He is definitely trying to rook me.

The second offer is tempting at face value, but I am leaning towards keeping Provorov.
    9 Team Dynasty Pool. 30 Players, 20 Active (12 F, 6 D, 2 G). 10 Reserves. 20 Roster moves allowed per season.

Forwards: Barzal, Forsberg, Guentzl, Buchnevic, Barkov, W. Nylander, P. Kane, Crosby, Fiala, Zibanejad, Vrana, Zuccarello, Pavelski, Tarasenko, Kreider, B. Schenn
    Defence: Fox, Sergachev, Pietrangelo, Letang, Karlsson, Hamilton, Spurgeon, Sandin, Boqvist, Matheson

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Is your league a H2H format or is it simply a points format (get a certain amount of points for Dpoints, points for hits, points for blocks, etc). Your sig is kind of vague on your league setup (but good for having that info that you have in there ).

I am just curious how important the hits and blocks are and how they determine the value.
    Thanks for the reply Axeman. Points format. Dmen get 1 point for a goal or assist, and .1 for blocks, and .05 for hits. Doesn't seem like much, but it did add another 25 points to Provorov's total.

I think I will keep Provorov just because of the age difference, and I am at least a couple of seasons away from challenging.

Thanks again.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I think the Jones owner is concerned that Werenski is going to have a bounceback year and steal crucial time.

Last year Provorov had that season ad the 2nd inline for most of the offensive opportunities. He did get some time as #1 option on PP when Ghost was hurt.

So if he can put those numbers up as the 2nd option I would keep him over Jones.

As for the first offer... that looks like an offer I would send to a new owner since I am a Flyers fan...haha

The Magnificent One

Jones is a monster. He had 21 points in his final 19 games and was seeing time on 64% of Columbus' PP shifts. Once this coming season is over, he will be a consensus top 5 fantasy d-man, IMO. Now maybe Provorov gets to that point down the road, but if I'm able to get Jones for him I snatch up that chance.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by buddha71 View Post
    Thanks for the reply Axeman. Points format. Dmen get 1 point for a goal or assist, and .1 for blocks, and .05 for hits. Doesn't seem like much, but it did add another 25 points to Provorov's total.

I think I will keep Provorov just because of the age difference, and I am at least a couple of seasons away from challenging.

Thanks again.
    This is important info to add to your posts.

I would do the 2nd deal for Jones, but if you are more comfortable keeping Provorov, no one would blame you either. Both Jones and Provorov are going to be beasts in your league for years.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Stud

Going to go against the grain here. I own Provorov and as much as I love the guy I'd swap him for Jones who I think has a higher offensive ceiling. If you can get Jones + I'd be all over it.

I don't put too much stock in the age difference or the fact that Jones was producing less than Provorov at the same age because Jones was stuck behind a log jam of elite Dmen in Nashville. I don't think Jones had the same opportunities as Provorov did at the same age nor do I think Werenski is in the same class as Ghost.
    16 GM Dynasty
    H2H Points
    Weekly Matchups w/ Starts: 12F/6D/2G
    G(3), A(2), +/-(0.1), Hit(0.1), SOG(0.1), BS(0.1), PPP(1), SHP(1)
    W(4), L(-2), SO(4), Sv(0.2), GA(-1)

F: A. Svechnikov, R. Thomas, N. Suzuki, Pastrnak, Boldy, J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Frost, Tolvanen, Drouin, Heinen, Gallagher, N. Ritchie, Wood, Poehling, Podkolzin

D: Makar, Fox, Dobson, Byram, Dahlin, Ferraro, Michael Stone

G Sorokin, Hart, Georgiev, DeSmith

Farm: Firkus, Kayumov, Heimosalmi, Brennan, Werner, Kvaca, Parik

The Great One

I'd want Jones.

Get the other guy to sweeten the deal a bit and then accept. Maybe throw in a draft pick or something.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Legend

I would take Jones for Provorov straight up. The other GM is banking on Panarin leaving the Jackets and Jones & Co. taking a big dip in production because of it. Could be, but I see Jones as a borderline-elite 55-65 point defenseman from this point out and Provorov as a steady, (better in real life) 45-50 point option. As long as Ghost is running the main PP in Philly, Provorov won't put up juggernaut numbers.

Dobber Sports Genius

I would do the Jones deal straight up.

Running some numbers from last year:

Jones 57 points + 4.6 pts for hits + 12.4 points for blocks = 74 points

Provorov 41 points + 7.4 pts for hits + 16.9 points for blocks = 65 points

Provorov's peripheral's close the gap a little, but I think Jones is the better own here if you can land him. He is still just a baby. Top 10 in D scoring, 42% of his points on the power play - huge end to the season.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Well, after much deliberation, I decided to accept the offer. Now to see if I can persuade this same gm to trade me Pierre Luc-Dubois.

Thanks again for all the input.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Good move, a bird in the hand...