Thread: Projecting Anders Lee w/o Tavares

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Projecting Anders Lee w/o Tavares

We've all seen what happened to Moulson and Parenteau after they stopped riding shotgun with Tavares. At the same time, neither of them were 40 goal scorers on JT's wing. How are you valuing Lee going into next season?

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Projecting Anders Lee w/o Tavares

I've tried trading him since last year when we all knew John Tavares hadn't signed an extension... no one was interested... everyone was concerned about him if Tavares didn't resign.

I do not have much confidence in him without Tavares and will likely use his position as a streaming option in my dynasty league.

Dobber Sports Stud

27 goals 20 assists I project

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

We are seeing a lot of people throwing out the Moulson and Parenteau comparisons with Lee. Talking about the major drop off without being on a line with a mega elite star. Parenteau was a heavy assist first guy so I am going to throw that comparison out the window as his connection with Tavares is dramatically different than Lee's. Moulson on the other hand was a shoot first player just like Lee, just with arguably better passing skills. The major difference however, is the other guys left to go elsewhere and Lee is staying put. Moulson went to BUF where he was 2nd on the team in points in his first full season, playing without a stud F. The next year they add a whole bunch of puppies and O'Reilly and all of a sudden BUF isn't dependent on him for offence, which quickly ends his NHL career. A big factor in this that people forget is that Moulson didn't just drop from JT to BUF first liners. He dropped from JT to playing with guys like Gionta. Buffalo was in a youth trend and playing a veteran minutes that could go to developing prospects doesn't make sense E.g. Reinhart, Eichel, Risto (pp), Kane, etc

Anyways! Back to Lee.... Lee is very goal heavy. I don't watch any film on him but I imagine a chunk of his goals came from JT rebounds as he is a big and strong forward. The nice thing about JT leaving though, is the NYI will be MORE dependent on him. He WILL play on a line with an ELITE playmaker. If it's Barzal, cool. If its Bailey, cool. Doesn't matter. Whenever you see a goal heavy guy play with someone who is crazy assist heavy, things generally work out. He knows the system and although the quality of players around him has gone down, he will still be playing a significant amount of time with guys like Eberle, Barzal, Bailey, etc. He has cemented himself into a top 6 role.

I didn't ever believe in Lee as a 60pt guy. But playing with a big passer should help him push for 30 goals again. He will lose some "free" assists so I would project him for 31 goals and 20 assists. The trade market for Lee is dead though. The best bet with him is to hold on and pray he starts hot out the gate with Bailey or Barzal. When this happens, sell high. He is so crazy goal heavy that the total points never will come and we saw that last year when he struggled to hit 60pts even on 40 goals. If he comes out of the gate hot, you might be able to flip him for someone more safe like Arvidsson, O'Reilly, Eberle, Zucc, Kadri, Toews, RNH, etc.
    10 Team - Limited Keeper based off Standings
    G (5 points), A (5), STP (1), PIM (0.3), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blks (.2), W (7 points), SO (7), Saves (0.2), GA (-1)

F:Laine, Eichel, Marner, Keller, Landeskog, Schmaltz, Skinner, Palat, Saad, Domi
    D:Karlsson,Fowler, Klefbom
    G:Talbot, Bishop, Schneider, Crawford
    Prospects:Dubios, DeBrincat, Tuch, Girard, Kerfoot

Keep 13 for 2018, For sure keepers in bold - maybe keepers italic
    2nd Overall Pick 2018

Administrator

Funny how it works. Now is clearly NOT the time to sell him for obvious reasons. Most people don't understand much beyond the extremes, meaning they would value Lee as a 40-goal man next to Tavares but without him there Lee might as well be an AHLer. He probably doesn't get to 40 this year but he's still a competent NHL player. If you own him already, hold on. It'll be tough to get anything of value for him in a trade. Otherwise, depending on the league he might be a decent buy-low option (as crazy as that sounds).

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Lee scored 40 goals so that takes talent regardless, still see 25-30 out of him
    14 Team (H2H Points) Dynasty League

C: McDavid, MacKinnon, Eichel, Zibanejad
    LW: E.Kane, Panarin, Huberdeau, Marchand, Landeskog
    RW: Rantanen, Zuccarello
    D: Makar, Dahlin, Chychrun, Drysdale
    G: Shesterkin, Saros, Markstrom
    Prospects: Carlsson, Raty, Berggren, Miroshnichenko, Othmann, Clarke, Gulyayev, Nikishin, Wallstadt, Wolf

16 Team (H2H Points) Dynasty League

C: MacKinnon, Zibanejad, Duchene, Schenn, Johansen, Monahan, Krebs, Pageau
    LW: E.Kane, Pacioretty, Vrana, Hoffman
    RW: Tuch, Stone, Wilson, Batherson, Sprong, Gallagher, Wahlstrom
    D: Dahlin, Hamilton, Letang, Dumba, Kylington, Liljegren
    G: Allen
    Prospects: Byfield, Guenther, Rossi, Perreault, Nikishin