Thread: VERSUS vs. ESPN - as far as the NHL is concerned

I...am your father.

Default VERSUS vs. ESPN - as far as the NHL is concerned

I\'m probably in the minority (right now) when I believe that the NHL is right to stick with VERSUS over attempting to go back to ESPN. Granted, it has hurt in terms of ESPN\'s sports center coverage (badly), but there is bound to be some growing pains.

It will be a few years before we\'ll see for sure, but judging by the growth of ratings for VERSUS last year compared to the season prior, I think things are on the right track. As a part of this channel, the NHL is clearly No.1 (with ESPN the NHL would be No.9 just behind the dog shows) and the league gets the respect and hype it so richly deserves.

I don\'t think anyone can dispute that coverage is solid - in terms of camera angles, analysis and play-by-play. The only complaints really stem from lack of coverage in terms of American homes. That is improving and will continue to improve over time and the league was right to get in on the ground floor with this company.

Anyway, I bring all this up because I just received a press release from them and since I see that they have bought ad space via my ad network, I looked it over. Anyway, as part of continuing to make the NHL a priority, they are looking to try some new things - a puck-tracking system, for one. No, not like Fox did just over a decade ago. This will be used strictly for between period analysis, which is probably where it belongs. Taking a page from the NFL hype-machine, VERSUS is also bringing in Def Leppard and Alanis Morissette for the opening day celebrations. Opening night for VERSUS , if you haven\'t seen the ad on this site, is October 9 with a double header starting at 6:30 ET. My two cents on the NHL television situation.

I linked the TV schedule in the above as an FYI.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Guru

i kind of agree... then again, i did not have NHL coverage yanked from my home and put on a channel that I can\'t get.

i know ESPN is very special to a lot of people, and I never watched hockey on that channel even when they had it, but I find their style in sports like football and basketball to be too aggressive for my tastes. lots of talking heads yelling at each other, trying to prove that they\'re alpha males, or something.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Versus needs to bring back the rail cam, that was sweet!

I only saw it used in one game.. what a shame.

here\'s a really washed out version of what i\'m referring to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnLUR...eature=related
    8 Teams 10 Keepers H2H
    g - a - pts - (+/-) - ppp - shp - fw - sv% - .gaa - so
    3C-3RW-3LW-4D-1UTL-2G - 4Bench

Keepers:
    C - Crosby, Thornton, Toews, Tavares
    LW - Kovalchuk, Nash
    RW - Kane
    G - Price, Fleury

Banned

The term \'solid\' is a we bit of a stretch Dobber but you\'re right, they were pretty pathetic when they started and they\'ve since become the best coverage we have available here in the states IMO.

The analysis is improving too but I still shed a tear of joy each time I come back to Canada and get to watch a game televised on CBC, TSN or even my favorite RDS I think I like Brian Engblom best of that crew because he\'s the only one who actually comes up with some astute analysis of the game on his own...that and the mullet...jonesy just reads (poorly) whatever they put on the teleprompter for him and never looks convinced of what he\'s saying, I have the distinct feeling while watching him that someone is sitting under the desk controlling him like a puppet. Bill Clement is the very definition of the word \'tool\', I hate him, this is a man who played in the early 70s for the Flyers but who is quoted as saying that \'fighting has no place in the game of hockey\'...**** you Bill, you\'re a sellout. They had a bunch of other guys on for a game or two last year (former players) and that was kinda cool so overall they\'re on the right track I think. Plus they hosted a post-all-star game party they invited us to last year with free booze and eats so its hard to not like em a little

Dobber Sports Novice

I agree dobber. For the long run, versus is definitely the way to go. ESPN is a whore for baseball, football, and basketball. I remember when espn had a spelling bee on one year instead of a hockey game.

A SPELLING BEE!!!

anyways... I think that this is one of the few things that the NHL has done right in the last few years... whether they are just too proud to go back to ESPN or what, I don\'t know... but I think this is the right choice.

I\'m watch a channel with ultimate fighting, professional bull riding, and NHL over a channel with baseball, football, basketball, and spelling bees any day.
    Dynasty League
    C- Getzlaf, Arnott, Filppula, Grabovski, Hensick, Little
    W - Brown, Gaborik, Hartnell, Kovalev, Parise, Hemsky, Franzen
    D - Lidstrom, Rafalski, EJ, Pietrangelo, Rivet, Bieksa, Lee
    G- Lundqvist, Ward, Leclaire, Budaj

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Sorry to chime in a little late but I was having a discussion about this with a friend of mine the other day who is an absolute sports fanatic. He\'s never been a big hockey guy but he\'s been getting into it a little more over the past couple of years. He really believes that the NHL\'s largest opportunity for growth includes getting air time on ESPN and I tend to agree with him. Only a certain demographic will actually seek out a hockey game on VS beyond that the NHL will not get new viewers being on VS where ESPN or even ESPN 2 will draw more viewership from the casual fan and possibly expand the fan base.

I had a couple of questions though and I don\'t know if Dobber or anyone else can answer this but; #1 - is ESPN and TSN is some way shape or form affiliated? I don\'t know where I got the idea that they were but I thought I remembered hearing something about that and #2 - Why couldn\'t VS remain the \"home\" of the NHL while still getting a game or two a week aired on ESPN? Much like TNT does with the NBA, that seems like the ideal situation to me.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

the NHL needs to get on a channel that people watch in order to get their fan base back and then some. after the want for hockey is there again they can move to a different channel. Youre not going to grow with a channel not largely carried or known in the States.
    C - Roy, Spezza, B. Richards
    RW - Hemsky, Doan (LW)
    LW - Ray Whitney, D. Sedin, Marleau (C), Kostitsyn
    D - Spacek, Weber, S. Niedermayer, Suter
    G - Nabokov, Khabibulin , Turco
    IR Selanne