Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Lehner Island

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Lehner Island

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    I dropped him on November 21 in my keeper league. Good times.
    Thats understandable. He had some injury issues earlier and Greiss was lights out as well. It wasnt looking too good in late November. A lot of people dropped him.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Lehner is having a great season obviously and I'm happy he's been able to deal with addiction and anxiety etc. - but is everyone sold on all this talk on Lehner for Vezina?

Also, I'm not nearly as convinced as others seem to be that Lehner is even the hands down #1 in NYI... It may not be looking good for Greiss lately as Lehner has been getting more starts but then when you consider Trotz has rolled Greiss out there against Tampa and Washington in the past week while giving Lehner New Jersey and St. Louis you get a more accurate story. Greiss has allowed only 1 goal to those two teams and has a .983 sv%. So it looks like a - Lehner has had a higher skew of starts lately, but Greiss is getting the harder competition in the standings against the teams the Isles are competing with for a playoff spot. It wasn't too long ago that Greiss was reciving the higher start load as well.

As for Vezina consideration for Lehner - the guy hasn't carried this team or even been given the workload of starts. Great bounce back but not sure how Lehner fits ahead of the workhorse goalies in the NHL this year.

I'm just saying, yes, Lehner is a good story but it's hardly yet determined what is happening here -- too small of a sample size? Or am I wrong?

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by FFleming5 View Post
    Lehner is having a great season obviously and I'm happy he's been able to deal with addiction and anxiety etc. - but is everyone sold on all this talk on Lehner for Vezina?

Also, I'm not nearly as convinced as others seem to be that Lehner is even the hands down #1 in NYI... It may not be looking good for Greiss lately as Lehner has been getting more starts but then when you consider Trotz has rolled Greiss out there against Tampa and Washington in the past week while giving Lehner New Jersey and St. Louis you get a more accurate story. Greiss has allowed only 1 goal to those two teams and has a .983 sv%. So it looks like a - Lehner has had a higher skew of starts lately, but Greiss is getting the harder competition in the standings against the teams the Isles are competing with for a playoff spot. It wasn't too long ago that Greiss was reciving the higher start load as well.

As for Vezina consideration for Lehner - the guy hasn't carried this team or even been given the workload of starts. Great bounce back but not sure how Lehner fits ahead of the workhorse goalies in the NHL this year.

I'm just saying, yes, Lehner is a good story but it's hardly yet determined what is happening here -- too small of a sample size? Or am I wrong?
    No you are not wrong. He's been on a great stretch here but I don't think it's Vezina worthy yet because, as mentioned, the games played will be significantly less than other goalies. Plus, there's still 30+ games left. Is anyone actually thinking the Islanders can keep this up?

Dobber Sports Sage

Yes I agree its most unlikely he is a Vezina finalist. The Jennings is looking pretty good for the Isles though if they keep this up.

Dobber Sports Stud

im just glad i have them both.. its going to be real difficult choosing between the 2 at the end of the year as I can only keep 1

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by GinFizz View Post
    im just glad i have them both.. its going to be real difficult choosing between the 2 at the end of the year as I can only keep 1
    Can you decide after the contract situations are sorted out? Greiss has the contract already and will remain on that team next year for certain. As for Lehner, he may be the odd man out depending on what his contract demands are - do the Isles want security at a higher cost, or does Greiss's good play also show that they could get by with another cheaper option at a salary similar to Lehner's current value - I'm sure there are other goalie reclamation projects looking for a shot to jump start their career at a discount with Korn as their goalie coach.

Dobber Sports Sage

First Star of the Week.

I wonder if the Koskinen re-signing will move the needle for a contract extension for Lehner. His agent must think so. Dude is going to get paid.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Glatt View Post
    First Star of the Week.

I wonder if the Koskinen re-signing will move the needle for a contract extension for Lehner. His agent must think so. Dude is going to get paid.
    I think there's a general understanding across the league that Edm. contracts aren't defined as bar-setters. Pretty sure even the players, when quoting them in contract negotiations can't keep a straight face.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    I think there's a general understanding across the league that Edm. contracts aren't defined as bar-setters. Pretty sure even the players, when quoting them in contract negotiations can't keep a straight face.
    I think that this move signals what is to happen with Talbot. Does signing Koskinen at $4.5 all but eliminate signing Talbot? I can’t see them giving Talbot less money than Koskinen and I also don’t see them inking both holding $9M in cap space for goaltending on a team facing a cap crunch. This move is truly perplexing. It looks to me as though Talbot is done in Edmonton with an expiring deal at 4.2m.

Dobber Sports Sage

Vezina finalist

He has a shot with Vas failing out in Round 1.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Glatt View Post
    Vezina finalist

He has a shot with Vas failing out in Round 1.
    I’ll Give you full credit. You stuck with this guy and it’s paid off. I’m not confident it gets him the trophy but still, how often has a Vezina finalist, let alone winner ever been a Free Agent? Wow!

Dobber Sports Pro

I don't want to be one of those nit pickers that harasses Dobber for his rankings, but I'm baffled as to what it would take for Lehner to rise in the goalie rankings even though Lehner has continued his strong play into the playoffs and is now the clear #1 on the island. Dobber has Binnington at #11, who with much less of a track record than Lehner and is (I think) one prolonged slump away from losing the starter's gig. Both Rinne and Saros are ahead of Lehner, even though only one can start and if they split the goaltending then that significantly diminishes their value. Demko is ahead of him too...I mean what does it take for some respect for Lehner?

Administrator

Aren't the rankings based on wins? Lehner just had a dream season that produced... 25 wins and 46 games. That's tied for 18th in the league. Not saying he's ranked perfectly but you can't point out flaws in other goalies while putting Lehner on a pedestal. He's had both a positive and negative history which cannot be ignored.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Aren't the rankings based on wins? Lehner just had a dream season that produced... 25 wins and 46 games. That's tied for 18th in the league. Not saying he's ranked perfectly but you can't point out flaws in other goalies while putting Lehner on a pedestal. He's had both a positive and negative history which cannot be ignored.
    Interesting...I didn't know the rankings are based on wins. Even so, while I'd hardly say I have him on a pedestal, I still like Lehner over the four I mentioned...at least until Nashville figures out who's their starter.

Administrator

I'd take Lehner over Hutton for sure, and maybe Demko/Saros. After that it's a coin flip considering goaltending these days.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust