Thread: Future of Penguins Goaltenders

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Future of Penguins Goaltenders

As a Murray owner (signature out of date), I'm somewhat unsettled about what the future of the Penguins holds in between the pipes.

Murray obviously came onto the scene hot in the playoff 2 years ago, winning the cup and then rolling into the next season putting up a solid stat line over 49 games before winning yet another cup.

However this year, along with battling the death of his father and concussion-related injuries, he put up a .907 save percentage, good for around 40th in the league for goalies.

In looking at his high-danger save percentage, I noted that in both of the past two seasons he posted around a 75% High-danger save percentage, which seems rather low, and is concerning given the amount of high-danger chances the penguins seem to give up.

So with that being said, the Penguins have both Jarry and De Smith waiting in the wings, with both seeing time in the past season during Murray's absences.

In terms of next season, as well as into the future, how safe is Murray's role as starter?

Thanks in advance for any input provided, will rep where possible.
    10T H2H Weekly-20 man keep + farm
    Scoring: G(3), A(2), PPP/SHP(+1), GWG(+1Pt), SOG(0.2), Blk(0.2), Hit(0.1)
    9F/4D/2G Starting Format
    Roster Size: 20 man main/6 man farm(player<24yr+waivers at beginning of each season)
    Main Roster:
    F(15): Arvidsson, Barzal, Dubois, Ehlers, Marner, Sprong, Palmieri, Point, Larkin, Matthews, Tuch, Hischier, Eberle, Forsberg, Keller
    D(5): Ekblad, Mcavoy, Dumba, Sergachev, Theodore
    G(4): Hutton, Jones, Crawford, Murray

Farm Roster:
    F(2): Jordan Kyrou, Kailer Yamamoto,
    D(4): Thomas Chabot, Juuso Valimaki, Sam Steel, Jakub Chychrun

Administrator

Default Re: Future of Penguins Goaltenders

I'm not worried about Murray long-term, we know he is prone to injury but he's their main guy

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Deity

I personally think Jarry is the better goalie between he and Murray but Murray has the lock on the job when he's healthy.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

They all suck! haha

Just kidding. I think Murray is a good goalie when he is healthy... I mean what is he 16 years old and he has 2 Stanley Cups. And the Defense that Pittsburgh had for those two cups...

And when people mention injury concern... they are legit concerns... but I always think of Ian Kinsler

Those guys had a couple years of 'injury concern' then when they got over those injuries and played, they were huge fantasy assets.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Murray, and so far Jarry, are a lot like Fleury. Good goalies on great offensive teams that don't care a lot about defense. Good to own if you are riding them for ever start, but prone to horrible games when the defense in front of them stinks, so spot starts can be risky.

I simply view both Murray & Jarry as "Goalie, Pittsburgh". You are going to get what you get from them, and they both seem to be NHL starter quality.

The one non-injury worry I'd have is if Jarry does to Murray what Murray did to Fleury when expansion rolls around.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

The Great One

I'm not worried about Murray being a starting goalie (when healthy). As for Jarry, he might have to find another team at some point to get a starting gig. [Unless, of course, Murray prices himself out of Pittsburgh].

Dobber Sports Novice

I drafted Murray in the 3rd round in my dynasty league last season, and as a result, I had to acquire both Jarry and DeSmith. I suggest you do the same just in case. You should get DeSmith for a song, but you'll probably have to pay for Jarry, depending on who owns him.