Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Keeper League - Goalie Choices

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Keeper League - Goalie Choices

Hi all,

It's back to that wonderful time of year.. keeper selections! Appreciate your input on current goalie keeper options (league details and keepers in signature). My league draft is auction style, where we have $300 to draft a team of 10 forwards, 5 dmen, 3 goalies, and 5 bench players of any position. I won my league last year (3 out of 8 years!) and I'm looking to complete the repeat.

My forward keepers are locked at Kucherov for $21, Mackinnon for $13 and Mitch for $16. I'm also a diehard leafs fan. Defense are solid with Doughty for $17 and Krug for $15. I do have an option to keep Werenski at $11 as well.

Goalie keeper is where I would like to hear opinions. I can keep either Freddie A at $27 or Gibson at $16. I will trade one of these guys away for waivers (each GM gets 6 every year to add/drop players, not counting injury replacement). If I choose to keep Fred I'm at $109 spent and $191 available for draft. If I keep Gibson I'm at $98 spent and $202 for draft. Important to note that most keeper totals are around $75-$100. I often run high, but keep the best core possible.

Freddie A can get me 40+ wins, solid sv %, decent gaa, hopefully 5+ shutouts. Annnd I'm a leaf fan and really excited about JT! Gibson has better periphs but less wins given injury bug which is also a pain in the ass.

Let me know your thoughts!
    Keeper Team: $300 Auction draft, 10 F, 5 D, 3 G, 5 Bench
    Keep For Following Year: 3 F, 2 D, 1 G

11 Team, Rotisserie G A PTS +/- PIMS PPG PPA SHP GWG W GAA SV% SO

F: Marner, Eichel, Hughes, Crosby, Kopitar, Rust, O'Reilly, Giroux, Horvat, Palat, Podkolzin, Jenner, Copp*, Colton*
    D:
    Toews, Byram, Letang, Theodore, Hamilton
    G:
    Campbell, Fleury, Knight, Quick
    IR: *Cirelli, *DeBrusk

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Keeper League - Goalie Choices

Gibson has great underlying numbers but can never seem to put together a complete season.

Fred is the safe choice here

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Freddy will get you the wins to be competitive in that caegory.

I would drop Gibson and try to target him early in the draft, or another goalie that will compliment Freddy.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Note that $11 can often buy a player like Hubs, Aho, RyJo, Oshie, etc. Tricky with Auction style because anything can go and everyone is fairly educated in my league. I'm always good to spend more, but need to be better at the table than my peers. Freddy gets me the sure fire wins with Gibbys injury history. Gibson is a strong bet for better gaa and sv%.

F: Marner, Eichel, Hughes, Crosby, Kopitar, Rust, O'Reilly, Giroux, Horvat, Palat, Podkolzin, Jenner, Copp*, Colton*
    D:
    G:

The Magnificent One

I like Gibson. Anderson will be heavy in wins but his peripherals might not be so great - think Fleury over the bulk of his career in Pittsburgh. Gibson does come with inury risk, but he's as close to a lock in GAA and SV% as there is in today's league.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Initiate

Would love a few more opinions - don't be shy! Will absolutely rep for well thought out answers. For what its worth, both guys are under cost at draft day and I will get a return for whoever I dont decide to keep. An elite or high end Tier 1 goalie easily goes for $40-$50 in my league. Low end tier 1 / Tier 2 are in and around $30. Given each team has 3 goalies and we are minimum 10 team, tenders quickly become slim pickings hence the higher cost vs draft money available.

D:
    G:

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Freddie for me. Safer (hate getting G injuries) and on better team going forward. With the better offense, maybe peripheral numbers get better.
    Kesler and Getz aging. Or look to make an upgrade trade.
    DYNASTY Cap(127M) 12 Team
    G, A, PIM(.1), positive +/- D only, W(2), SO(2), OTL(1)
    23 + 4 IR + 7 prospects (locked in for season if under 200 GP)
    Start: 11F, 5D, 2G - 82 games each slot

F: Crosby, Malkin, Aho, Rantanen, Batherson, Boldy, Kempe, Pavelski, Duchene, Hagel, Frost [Duclair, Farabee, Jenner]
    D: Fox, Karlsson, Hamilton, Letang, Montour
    IR:
    G: Sorokin, Kuemper[Husso, Kochetkov]

P: Stankoven, Tomasino, Vilardi, Sanderson, York, Zellweger, Wahlstrom
    Roster Cap Breakdown

DYNASTY Cap (110M) 12 Team 2
    G, A, PIM(.1), Positive +/- D only(0.5), Hattie(3), W(2), SO(3), OTL(1)
    League & Roster Info

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I'd take Andersen. He provides good peripherals, and is less likely to be hurt. With you needing to use waiver moves to replace players, and those being limited, I'd prefer his stronger health track record.

Gibson has really good peripherals, but if you don't get a season like last year, where he was pretty healthy, things can go south fast. I like him alot, but your league setup really exposes his health issues.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Ninja

The right answer is to shop them both and take the best return...however, Andersen is the right choice for you. You'll enjoy cheering heartily for the Leafs AND Andersen, plus as others have already pointed out, Gibson has had some issues playing a full season.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    The right answer is to shop them both and take the best return...however, Andersen is the right choice for you. You'll enjoy cheering heartily for the Leafs AND Andersen, plus as others have already pointed out, Gibson has had some issues playing a full season.
    I have already locked down a return for both guys, so will not lose one without gaining waiver picks back. I think you've nailed perhaps the most important part in this decision (bolded above). While we want to make savvy moves in fantasy, there is nothing better than owning some of the better players on the team you are cheering for. With most top tenders likely to be kept, pickings become slim quickly. If Fred improves to 40+ wins which is absolutely doable, the only other piece I'd like to see is an improvement from 2.81 gaa to 2.60 vicinity and maintain his sv % of 0.918. Not unreasonable considering he did achieve 2.67 year before last.

D:
    G:

Dobber Sports Initiate

I'm surprised I only got 1 Gibson answer. The guy has great peripherals, better than most, is $11 cheaper, and is likely to hit at least 30 wins injury or not. While we know Freddie is the favourite between the two, does he best Gibson in GAA or sv%? Likely not. So is a decrease in these stats worth paying an extra $11 for 10 more wins?

Dobber Sports Titan

If the trade return for both is the same, I would go Gibson. However, I agree with what Comish said, and if the return isn't even, then take the package with the better return.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Initiate

Resurrecting this thread. I read, albeit through rotoworld, that Gibson has been working hard on the injury that plagued him last season.

My heart is still with Andersen here. But is Gibson the best choice? $11 savings to go him over Andersen.

Dobber has Andersen as an elite tender. I agree considering win potential alongside a likely repeat of 0.918 SV %.

Gibson had a career year and that was with injuries. One of the best peripheral goalies with liklihood for 30 wins at least.

Who you got now?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BranDOOM View Post
    Resurrecting this thread. I read, albeit through rotoworld, that Gibson has been working hard on the injury that plagued him last season.

My heart is still with Andersen here. But is Gibson the best choice? $11 savings to go him over Andersen.

Dobber has Andersen as an elite tender. I agree considering win potential alongside a likely repeat of 0.918 SV %.

Gibson had a career year and that was with injuries. One of the best peripheral goalies with liklihood for 30 wins at least.

Who you got now?
    I still have Andersen. I feel that Gibson injury's issues are essentially priced into that cost. While you will net some injury coverage with some extra waiver moves if you keep Gibson, I'm leery of keeping him in a limited moves league. Plus, you might just prefer to root for Andersen, which is worth a few bucks of auction value.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Icon

I would go with Gibson. He's the better goalie and he's cheaper. I also believe that Toronto is going to be significantly worse this year than last. Their 3rd best dman is a 37 year old Ron Hainsey.