Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why are people so hyped with FIFA 2018?

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default Why are people so hyped with FIFA 2018?

Is it just me or people are so hyped because of the world cup? What?s so special about it anyway? I mean I understand it?s a 4-year thing and that it?s a global event but if you think about it, it?s still just football. I met these Colombian women on the local pub. They asked me why I wasn?t cheering for Russia (they were playing that time) like the rest. I answered honestly that I?m not really into the game and they looked at me like I grew two heads. Seriously, why so giddy about it? Please can somebody explain this to me. Also, I don?t even know why they are asking me about supporting ?Russia? ? I am white, but I don?t think I look Russian at all. (?)

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Why are people so hyped with FIFA 2018?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisv66 View Post
    Is it just me or people are so hyped because of the world cup? What?s so special about it anyway? I mean I understand it?s a 4-year thing and that it?s a global event but if you think about it, it?s still just football. I met these Colombian women on the local pub. They asked me why I wasn?t cheering for Russia (they were playing that time) like the rest. I answered honestly that I?m not really into the game and they looked at me like I grew two heads. Seriously, why so giddy about it? Please can somebody explain this to me. Also, I don?t even know why they are asking me about supporting ?Russia? ? I am white, but I don?t think I look Russian at all. (?)
    FIFA 18 is a video game, you're asking about the World Cup.

It's soccers tournament. Countries take it more seriously than the Olympics. If you win the Olympics, ok you're good, you win the Euro Cup you're good, you win the World Cup you're the best.

It's literally a tournament that is held to see who is the best soccer country in the world. And soccer is a big thing in these countries. It's like Team Canada (hockey) in the winter Olympics.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by chrisv66 View Post

I'll bite. Probably because soccer is the most popular game in the world.

Dobber Sports Master

Just think of it like the Superbowl, except with more than 3 times the viewers.... none of whom are there for the ads or halftime show.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Administrator

Has question about FIFA...

Posts question on hockey forum...

(to answer the question, it's the most popular sport in the world by far)

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Has question about FIFA...

Posts question on hockey forum...

(to answer the question, it's the most popular sport in the world by far)

I use the term "sport" loosely when talking about soccer (football)
    16 Team - Keep 5 - H2H Points
    Start: 2C/2LW/2RW/4D/2G - 4Bench
    G/A(1.25) STP(1.5) GWG(3) SOG(0.25) H(0.2) Blks(0.25) +/-(0.25) PIM(0.1) FOW(0.1)

C: Malkin, Kopitar, Hartman, Johansen
    LW: Ovechkin, Pacioretty, Barbashev (C)
    RW: Rust, Mangiapane (LW), Rodrigues (LW)
    D: DeAngelo, Karlsson, Faulk, Morrisey, Myers
    G: A. Forsberg, Price, Reimer, Holtby

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

My soccer buddy tells me FIFA stands for Futbol is F_______ Awesome.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    I'll bite. Probably because soccer is the most popular game in the world.
    This. And despite being an enormous hockey fan the only thing that tops the World Cup for me as a sporting event is/was Olympic hockey (when the NHL allowed their players to go). It's an amazing event.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by saucelife90 View Post
    I use the term "sport" loosely when talking about soccer (football)
    You don't know a sport then. Soccer is a sport, and a tough one to be a professional at.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    You don't know a sport then. Soccer is a sport, and a tough one to be a professional at.
    Sorry "men's" Soccer. If I wanted to watch people fake getting injured I'd attend a Broadway play.

Woman's Soccer on the other hand I would agree with you. It sure looks like a tough competitive sport.
    G/A(1.25) STP(1.5) GWG(3) SOG(0.25) H(0.2) Blks(0.25) +/-(0.25) PIM(0.1) FOW(0.1)

Dobber Sports Titan

Sorry "men's" Soccer. If I wanted to watch people fake getting injured I'd attend a Broadway play.

Woman's Soccer on the other hand I would agree with you. It sure looks like a tough competitive sport.
    Please refrain from talking down to a sport you seemingly haven't played. Soccer is a surprisingly physical sport to play. You can say you don't like watching it due to 2 flops a game, but to say it's not a sport, or to insult the people who play it by putting men in quotations is low-brow and lazy thinking.

It would be like a soccer fan to a hockey fan, "How does a goalie not stop 99% of the penalty shots/breakaways, he's so big and the nets so small". You'd find it idiotic for the soccer fan to insult a professional athlete who is one of the best in the world at the sport.

I was once you, and I started to play and watch soccer and found it surprisingly physical. The big thing is if you're not expecting the physical play, then you end up getting hurt more. Same goes in any sport. You get hurt more if you don't expect the hit. Soccer is the same way for the most parts. And I quickly changed my tune about getting stepped on in cleats once it happened.

I tried to be political with my response. I think the biggest annoyance of your judgement is you're saying that it's not a sport and you don't like it. But in fact it's just a sport you don't like.

Dobber Sports Icon

I'm not a soccer fan at all and haven't watched a second of it, but to each their own.

It's a sport that anyone can play, all you need is a ball (or something that functions as one). Sports like hockey and football require lots of equipment and in hockey's case access to expensive facilities (financially restrictive), and are culturally/geographically separated from large parts of the world.

Soccer is probably the only game that the entire world plays and has access to. (I find it boring as hell, but whatever. I have hockey).
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Veteran

Please refrain from talking down to a sport you seemingly haven't played. Soccer is a surprisingly physical sport to play. You can say you don't like watching it due to 2 flops a game, but to say it's not a sport, or to insult the people who play it by putting men in quotations is low-brow and lazy thinking.

It would be like a soccer fan to a hockey fan, "How does a goalie not stop 99% of the penalty shots/breakaways, he's so big and the nets so small". You'd find it idiotic for the soccer fan to insult a professional athlete who is one of the best in the world at the sport.

I was once you, and I started to play and watch soccer and found it surprisingly physical. The big thing is if you're not expecting the physical play, then you end up getting hurt more. Same goes in any sport. You get hurt more if you don't expect the hit. Soccer is the same way for the most parts. And I quickly changed my tune about getting stepped on in cleats once it happened.

I tried to be political with my response. I think the biggest annoyance of your judgement is you're saying that it's not a sport and you don't like it. But in fact it's just a sport you don't like.
    I'll put it this way, the game would be much more enjoyable to watch without the constant flops (I witnessed 2 alone in less than a minute in the Portugal vs Spain game).

Dobber Sports Titan

I'll put it this way, the game would be much more enjoyable to watch without the constant flops (I witnessed 2 alone in less than a minute in the Portugal vs Spain game).
    As I can't see what you see, nor do I remember the whole game, I'd be curious if they were actual flops. When these guys run full sleep and get their feet caught up, you go down a lot easier than you think.

I understand it's not everyone's cup of tea, and the Neymar flops taint the sport for sure, I think the North American crowd definitely sees soccer players going down easy because the comparison of sports is hockey (who do end up on their knees a fair amount) and American Football.

I get you may see it as a tough sport to watch because of 30s out of 90min there's flopping. I get that and I was the same way. I just didn't like how you didn't call one of the more cerebral, and technical sports, not a sport.

Dobber Sports Titan

As I can't see what you see, nor do I remember the whole game, I'd be curious if they were actual flops. When these guys run full sleep and get their feet caught up, you go down a lot easier than you think.

I understand it's not everyone's cup of tea, and the Neymar flops taint the sport for sure, I think the North American crowd definitely sees soccer players going down easy because the comparison of sports is hockey (who do end up on their knees a fair amount) and American Football.

I get you may see it as a tough sport to watch because of 30s out of 90min there's flopping. I get that and I was the same way. I just didn't like how you didn't call one of the more cerebral, and technical sports, not a sport.
    I think meeting in the middle and saying:
    There aren't too many flops due to the surprising physicality - fair.
    Do soccer players act out their injuries more than other sports in order to get the call - also fair.

Before this World Cup I was closer to the camp of the ones being annoyed at soccer and people grimacing and rolling around to get the call, so I didn't watch any. Joined an office pool and actually watched quite a few games this year, and with something to cheer for, actually got into it and quite enjoyed it. There's points to be said for both, but in the end, to each their own
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)