Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Matthews/Karlsson

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: Matthews/Karlsson

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    That is exactly 4 of each, like I said. The guys calling it 12 F & 4 D have it wrong.
    It's not wrong, it's 4 each position, sure, but it is still 12F vs 4D. With all the multiple position eligibilities out there (hockey is the worst for this) it doesn't make sense to sort by position, as so many guys overlap. I would group all of the forwards together to get a true representation of replacement level value, and naturally you give a slight boost to guys you can slot at wing.

Assuming you roster 5D (4 starters, one bench) that's 65 defensemen. 66 is your replacement level D.
    Assuming you roster 15F (12 starters, 3 bench) that's 225 forwards. 226 is your replacement level F.

The 226 F is approximately 28 points. The 66 D is approximately 26 points. So yes, you need Matthews to outscore Karlsson, and I bet that will be the case 90% of the time moving forward. Matthews is the hold here.

Even if we go with the 66 C, my metric has that coming in at 36 points, with the 61st at 38 (likely differing from yours due to position eligibility variation). I still bet that Matthews can outscore Karlsson by 10 points on a regular basis moving forward.

Plus Matthews is 8 years younger.

To me the logic and math says hold Matthews.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    That is exactly 4 of each, like I said. The guys calling it 12 F & 4 D have it wrong.
    Fair enough. But it's the result the same? The replacement C would be better than the replacement D?
    10 TEAM FANTRAX LEAGUE (Salary Cap)
    23 Man Roster (Keep 16) + 12 Minors

G, A, PIM, SOG, STP, HIT, BLK, TK, FOW
    W, SV%, GAA, SO

C: Tavares, Pettersson, Bergeron, Dubois, Trocheck, Gaudette
    RW: J. Anderson, Coleman, Garland, Puljujarvi, Hoglander
    LW: Tkachuck, Miller, Goodrow, Mangiapane
    D: McAvoy, DeAngelo, Krug, Borowiecki, Gustafsson, Lindgren
    G: Shesterkin, Samsonov

Minors: Kahkonen, Sandin, Jarvis, Rasmussen, Elvenes, Abramov, Morin, Brisson, Clague, Gilbert, Hoglander, Timmins
    IR: Kucherov

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Tfan5211 View Post
    Would you trade Matthews for Karlsson?
    As muddy as this debate has gotten, it shows one thing for sure... reasonable people can disagree over which of these players with best help your team. Which tells me that they are not too far off. Trust your gut, it'd be hard to get this one wrong.
    10 TEAM FANTRAX LEAGUE (Salary Cap)
    23 Man Roster (Keep 16) + 12 Minors

G, A, PIM, SOG, STP, HIT, BLK, TK, FOW
    W, SV%, GAA, SO

C: Tavares, Pettersson, Bergeron, Dubois, Trocheck, Gaudette
    RW: J. Anderson, Coleman, Garland, Puljujarvi, Hoglander
    LW: Tkachuck, Miller, Goodrow, Mangiapane
    D: McAvoy, DeAngelo, Krug, Borowiecki, Gustafsson, Lindgren
    G: Shesterkin, Samsonov

Minors: Kahkonen, Sandin, Jarvis, Rasmussen, Elvenes, Abramov, Morin, Brisson, Clague, Gilbert, Hoglander, Timmins
    IR: Kucherov

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by deanyoungblood79 View Post
    As muddy as this debate has gotten, it shows one thing for sure... reasonable people can disagree over which of these players with best help your team. Which tells me that they are not too far off. Trust your gut, it'd be hard to get this one wrong.
    That's true. I would never count bench players when figuring replacement, I'm looking for the last starter, but I can see the logic.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.