Thread: Willing to share your rules/CBAs?

Dobber Sports Newbie

Default Willing to share your rules/CBAs?

hi all,

I've been a commish of a few non-salary cap leagues for a few years and I'm looking to try setting one up myself for this season.

I have played in one but never set one up for scratch.

If anyone would be willing to share their rules/CBAs or be willing to chat a bit via PM or email I'd really appreciate it.

I know there's growing pains with new leagues too so any early pitfall advice would be great too.

I've read Capped a fair amount and looked at a few leagues here but still am trying to cover my bases before I set something up.

Would be a cap hit league on Fantrax with minors/draft. Fairly standard GM semi-real sim. Thanks.

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Willing to share your rules/CBAs?

bump...

I hope a bump gets you some of the answers you are looking for.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Not sure if this is what you are looking for.... This is our rule setup on Fantrax

Page 1.jpeg

Page 2.jpeg

Page 3.jpeg
    10 Teams
    Keeper max 18 of 23 + 5 minors
    NHL Cap Hit
    G, A, SOG, HITS, BLKS, STP, FOW, Takeaways
    W, GAA, SV%, SO

C
    Eichel, Beniers, Trocheck, Fantilli, Staal, Glendening, Mittlestadt, Bjugstad

W
    B. Tkachuk, Pastrnak,
    Perfetti, Giroux, Byfield, Reinhart, Svechnikov, Quinn

D
    Lauzon, Schenn, Englund, Hakanpaa, Korchinski

G
    Sorokin, Ersson

Minors
    Wallstedt, Wolf, Jiricek

The Great One

I'm not in any cap leagues, but I used to play in one. They have their rules on proboards: http://iffhl.proboards.com/thread/3/iffhl-rules

Dobber Sports Genius

ADVICE: Do not use the actual NHL cap unless the league has 31 teams.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    This is great advice for any sport, honestly. You don't want to use the actual league cap unless you have a number of franchises that exceed 80% of the number of franchises in the actual league.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

We have 12 teams (minimum of 20 active players and a max of 25) and find using the actual NHL cap to be fantastic.
    10 Teams
    NHL Cap Hit
    W, GAA, SV%, SO

C

W
    B. Tkachuk, Pastrnak,

D

G
    Sorokin, Ersson

Minors
    Wallstedt, Wolf, Jiricek

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Starvin Marvin View Post
    We have 12 teams (minimum of 20 active players and a max of 25) and find using the actual NHL cap to be fantastic.
    I agree with this.. Use the real cap.

There is a tipping point between inflated caps and having no cap at all, and the closer you navigate toward that point, the less of a cap league you become. Use the real cap, and make the GMs sweat their RFA and UFA situations every summer.

The downside, of course, is that some very popular and serviceable players may not get rostered, but that just means that it's time to expand.

Quote Originally Posted by tobias View Post
    I agree with this.. Use the real cap.

There is a tipping point between inflated caps and having no cap at all, and the closer you navigate toward that point, the less of a cap league you become. Use the real cap, and make the GMs sweat their RFA and UFA situations every summer.

The downside, of course, is that some very popular and serviceable players may not get rostered, but that just means that it's time to expand.
    Exactly! I'm currently waiting on the new contracts for Pulock and Hanifin. I might be over cap at that point, which will cause me to make a trade or swap one for a cheaper defender. The league changes organically each year due to the cap. Also, most team have about 2-3 expensive stars, then its a spread of cheap peripherals, rookies and guys on really good contracts.
    10 Teams
    NHL Cap Hit
    W, GAA, SV%, SO

C

W
    B. Tkachuk, Pastrnak,

D

G
    Sorokin, Ersson

Minors
    Wallstedt, Wolf, Jiricek

Dobber Sports Prodigy

To be fair... it's a different kind of league when you use the NHL cap and have less than 31 teams. We are at 12 teams with 25 man rosters, and yes, some players in excess of 10m don't get signed... but the excitement in our league comes from finding value. A few years ago, the guy who owned Kucherov lost his mind when he signed a bridge deal for 4.7m. It's a blast. I feel like crappy version of Dubas (with food stains on his shirt)... because I'm seriously looking at Tyler Ennis and the cap-saving value he brings.

We are hoping to expand to 14 teams next year. Which would be great. Personally, I think 16 would be the real sweet spot. Not _quite_ realistic, but constantly entertaining.

On the flip side, I have read about some leagues using the NHL cap with 10 teams (or even less). For me, this would be too much. It's about finding a balance that is right for you and your managers.
    10 TEAM FANTRAX LEAGUE (Salary Cap)
    23 Man Roster (Keep 16) + 12 Minors

G, A, PIM, SOG, STP, HIT, BLK, TK, FOW
    W, SV%, GAA, SO

C: Tavares, Pettersson, Bergeron, Dubois, Trocheck, Gaudette
    RW: J. Anderson, Coleman, Garland, Puljujarvi, Hoglander
    LW: Tkachuck, Miller, Goodrow, Mangiapane
    D: McAvoy, DeAngelo, Krug, Borowiecki, Gustafsson, Lindgren
    G: Shesterkin, Samsonov

Minors: Kahkonen, Sandin, Jarvis, Rasmussen, Elvenes, Abramov, Morin, Brisson, Clague, Gilbert, Hoglander, Timmins
    IR: Kucherov

Dobber Sports Newbie

This has all been super helpful for me so far guys I really appreciate the responses.

Dobber Sports Genius

Let me expand on this while I have more time and a real keyboard.

I have been involved in a half a dozen (or so) dynasty cap leagues over the last five years. Finding the cap sweet spot for your league set up is important. It the cap is too low then some great players who make some big dollars are not rostered. There was a thread here a few weeks back about Tavares (right before he signed) in a cap league and the owner found him untradeable and was trying to decide whether he was outright dropable. That same thread mentioned that the McDavid owner in that league was questioning holding on to him. The cap that league was using was too resptrictive. On the flip side if the cap is too high there is no point in having a cap as it doesn't really factor into player decisions.

There are comments in this thread about a 12 team league with 20-25 man rosters using the NHL cap and it working great. This surprises me, but I am open to the idea that it works. I wonder what kind of players are on the waiver wire (free agents) under this set up. I think (gathering info from other threads) that Kopitar is/was on the waiver wire in this league. If so, the WW must be littered with star players. If this is true, then 3rd/4th line tweeners can be more valuable to GMs than actual 'franchise' players. When creating a new league I don't think I would want to be institutionally/structuarally setting the parameters so that this takes place before the first game is even played.

One league I am in has 16 GMs and rosters 28 players and 22 farm players. The cap is set to 120% of the NHL cap. This set up has the WW full of $4M defensemen - good ones and bad ones. I'm not arguing the cap is set properly, I'm just reporting of what parameters do to the waiver wire. Teams that are successful in this league use the WW well and stay away from trading young assets for older established players as these established players could (with a bit of patience) be had for free.

Another league I was in used the actual cap for 20 GMs with a 25 player roster and 15 player farm. Any player that was productive on an entry-level contract was gold, more so that a top scorer in the league. This league was doomed as no one would, or could, make a trade. Every team was always capped out and good replacement players could be found on the WW if you were willing to pay the cap hit. The only players you wanted to trade for were $925k players on ELC's and the only asset(s) that would even interest a GM (whose team had to be no where close to a contender) were high end draft picks. Catch-22 as good teams didn't own high-end draft picks.

Yet another cap league I am in seems to have the cap right. I guess the best way to quantify why, is that the WW is mostly full of players you don't want. Even players that are paid too much are still rostered, but rostering those players come at a cost as you need to balance their salary out with a valuable contract to own. This league has 20 GMs with 25 player rosters and 25 player farm teams and is designed to mirror the NHL (50 team contracts). The cap is $133% of the NHL cap. Basically the league uses the same amount of total dollars the NHL allocates to players but the league only rosters 66% of the player pool (loose math). Valueable contracts are still king but expensive players are still held and rostered. As for the other 33% of the player who weren't on teams - who really wants to cheer for the Chris Wagner's and Scottie Upshall's of the world. I like following the better players in the NHL, not the cheapest ones.

One more league cap I was in had no IR spots. It was a one year weekly H2H league with a shallow bench. If you wanted to hold a player who was hurt he had to sit on your roster/bench. Trades didn't happen in this league much but the WW was crazy active. Everyone was jockeying to have the best roster possible for the week the playoffs started. The cap aspect of the league made the WW interesting. Do you try to build a deep team or a good team? Do you hold injured 'X' player with 'a' cap hit over healthy 'Y' player with 'b' cap hit based on what your team would need in a month? I don't rememeber the exact parameters but the bench size vs cap vs WW claims were process weekly made it interesting.

@moses. Damn, you're in some deep leagues! The deepest I've been in is 14 haha If you ever need managers, let me know! I'm always looking for deeper leagues

In my league we have just been going with the actual cap since day one (3 seasons ago) because we figured it would be a nice starting point and would adjust accordingy We found that it just works for whatever reason. There's a good mix of superstars and cheap talent on every team.

Attached are the best available players currently on the Free Agency.

Screen Shot 2018-07-10 at 9.43.59 PM.png
    10 Teams
    NHL Cap Hit
    W, GAA, SV%, SO

C

W
    B. Tkachuk, Pastrnak,

D

G
    Sorokin, Ersson

Minors
    Wallstedt, Wolf, Jiricek