Thread: "rebuild"

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default "rebuild"

Can someone explain to me how "rebuilding" a team has become a thing in fantasy? I can't see it ever being apart of my motto. I go for the win every year. I am extremely active in trades and claims so that I'm always competitive. Is "rebuild" just an excuse for poor management?
    10 Teams
    Keeper max 18 of 23 + 5 minors
    NHL Cap Hit
    G, A, SOG, HITS, BLKS, STP, FOW, Takeaways
    W, GAA, SV%, SO

C
    Eichel, Beniers, Trocheck, Fantilli, Staal, Glendening, Mittlestadt, Bjugstad

W
    B. Tkachuk, Pastrnak,
    Perfetti, Giroux, Byfield, Reinhart, Svechnikov, Quinn

D
    Lauzon, Schenn, Englund, Hakanpaa, Korchinski

G
    Sorokin, Ersson

Minors
    Wallstedt, Wolf, Jiricek

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: "rebuild"

In Soviet Russia, team rebuilds you.
    10 TEAM FANTRAX LEAGUE (Salary Cap)
    23 Man Roster (Keep 16) + 12 Minors

G, A, PIM, SOG, STP, HIT, BLK, TK, FOW
    W, SV%, GAA, SO

C: Tavares, Pettersson, Bergeron, Dubois, Trocheck, Gaudette
    RW: J. Anderson, Coleman, Garland, Puljujarvi, Hoglander
    LW: Tkachuck, Miller, Goodrow, Mangiapane
    D: McAvoy, DeAngelo, Krug, Borowiecki, Gustafsson, Lindgren
    G: Shesterkin, Samsonov

Minors: Kahkonen, Sandin, Jarvis, Rasmussen, Elvenes, Abramov, Morin, Brisson, Clague, Gilbert, Hoglander, Timmins
    IR: Kucherov

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Seriously though, I think it's a mistake to focus entirely on short or long term goals. I try and acquire contracts that will maintain value over several years (like Scheifele) and keep the prospect cupboard as full as I can without putting a lock on it. If I have to dip in to the cupboard to help me win this year, I do it and worry about restocking later. For example, I traded Liljegren + a future draft pick for a one year "rental" of Erik Karlsson while he is still at 6.5m. I will make that trade every time.

Managers in perpetual rebuild boggle the mind.

W, SV%, GAA, SO

Minors: Kahkonen, Sandin, Jarvis, Rasmussen, Elvenes, Abramov, Morin, Brisson, Clague, Gilbert, Hoglander, Timmins

Dobber Sports Deity

For some people, especially in free leagues, rebuilding is a way for them to be more active. They now have a reason to wheel and deal. If you are a top team, chances are you have a strong team and not looking to move a lot of your key pieces because you dont want to go backwards. If you are "rebuilding" then you have more of an excuse to make deals. Plus some people just like trading for favorite players or guys on their favorite teams so it's more of a heart then a head thing. That's the way I see it anyway.

Some leagues I have a strong team and it's harder for me to trade away key pieces. Some leagues my team isn't as good so I can feel a bit better about moving out older guys for younger guys and having fun with it.

As I say, everyone is in fantasy hockey for various reasons. I dont criticize those who play it for whatever reason they play it. I just enjoy it for what it is. To each their own.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    For some people, especially in free leagues, rebuilding is a way for them to be more active. They now have a reason to wheel and deal. If you are a top team, chances are you have a strong team and not looking to move a lot of your key pieces because you dont want to go backwards. If you are "rebuilding" then you have more of an excuse to make deals. Plus some people just like trading for favorite players or guys on their favorite teams so it's more of a heart then a head thing. That's the way I see it anyway.

Some leagues I have a strong team and it's harder for me to trade away key pieces. Some leagues my team isn't as good so I can feel a bit better about moving out older guys for younger guys and having fun with it.

As I say, everyone is in fantasy hockey for various reasons. I dont criticize those who play it for whatever reason they play it. I just enjoy it for what it is. To each their own.
    I agree. People play fantasy for whatever reason. But I don't see why people would be in a rebuild mode unless its a 30 team dynasty league where you enherited a very bad team.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Starvin Marvin View Post
    I agree. People play fantasy for whatever reason. But I don't see why people would be in a rebuild mode unless its a 30 team dynasty league where you enherited a very bad team.
    Again, different strokes for different folks.

In a huge league like that, I would be willing to bet that only a couple of the teams are really strong and the rest of mingling the middle and a few just flat out stink. If you are near the bottom 25% of the league, how else do you think they will get better? Thats assuming the even want to get better.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Starvin Marvin View Post
    This is definitely the case a lot of the time. It's a challenge to take over a bottom-feeder team that's been driven into the dirt and turn it into a top-tier team. I've done it more than once You get to put your prospect-evaluation to the test.

Also sometimes you'll see a team loaded with deteriorating veterans decide to sell them off and go into rebuild mode as they can see the writing on the wall. Personally in this situation I go for more of a re-tooling than a full-rebuild, staying in the upper-half of the league but bringing in some youngsters on the cusp.

(I'm referring to deep dynasty league setups - in a limited keeper it's a different approach).
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    Also sometimes you'll see a team loaded with deteriorating veterans decide to sell them off and go into rebuild mode as they can see the writing on the wall. Personally in this situation I go for more of a re-tooling than a full-rebuild, staying in the upper-half of the league but bringing in some youngsters on the cusp.
    A lot of times those are good decisions in terms of asset management. The problem comes when people focus on the rebuild and forget to try to win their trades. So they take a loss every time at the trade table because OMG I NEED PROSPECTS AND DRAFT PICKS!!! Meanwhile that person's deficiencies in the art of trading will still be present on the other side of the rebuild when it's time to load up for the win.

Don't rebuild, just build.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Fixing a bottom feeder team that needs work sounds like a fun project. And 100% about the different motivations for different managers. I guess it's more accurate to say that a "perpetual" rebuild doesn't make sense according to my personal preferences. Personally, I like philosophical plasticity... I may be restocking one minute, then change gears and accept a win-now offer when it presents itself.

W, SV%, GAA, SO

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post

Don't rebuild, just build.
    raw.png

W, SV%, GAA, SO

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by deanyoungblood79 View Post
    I may be restocking one minute, then change gears and accept a win-now offer when it presents itself.
    Very good strategy when the opportunity presents itself. Sometimes you can sell off some prospects you acquired in your "rebuild" for young star players (from teams in the perpetual rebuild rut) and really accelerate the process. Timing and patience are key.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

"re-tool" hits it on the head. Some weak teams will always have assets. Keep them. Build on the categories you need. That's why I favour banger leagues with FOW. You can win weeks just on peripherals

Dobber Sports Ace

This really depends on the league setup as much as the managers sometimes. Some leagues you can retool. Other leagues I think a full rebuild CAN be a necessity sometimes.

I've seen leagues where GM's are content to finish in the bottom middle year in an year out and barely make any trades/ fa pickups/don't promote minors guys that could be helpful etc. To me that's way worse than a rebuilding team. I would never want to suck(and not be pushing to be better next year) or at best mediocre and just sit there with my hands tied.

I think you should always be looking to get better and that could mean distancing yourself from the second place team down to getting worse by gathering up and coming assets when your team.is dismal.