Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Charges laid in fatal Humboldt Broncos bus crash

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Charges laid in fatal Humboldt Broncos bus crash

https://globalnews.ca/news/4317170/h...-crash-arrest/

Charges have been laid in the deadly Humboldt Broncos bus crash that killed 16 people and injured 13 others.
    RCMP said an arrest was made Friday morning in relation to their investigation into the fatal collision. Police have released no other details at this time, including the nature of the charges. A press conference is being held at 1 p.m. CT at which time RCMP will provide further information. During an update last month, RCMP said they would be consulting with the Crown on possible charges once the investigation was complete. The team was heading to Nipawin for a playoff game on April 6 when their bus and a semi collided in eastern Saskatchewan.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Charges laid in fatal Humboldt Broncos bus crash

RCMP announce arrest of truck driver involved with Humboldt bus crash. He faces 16 counts of dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing death,13 counts of dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing bodily harm. The news comes exactly three months after the crash.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    RCMP announce arrest of truck driver involved with Humboldt bus crash. He faces 16 counts of dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing death,13 counts of dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing bodily harm. The news comes exactly three months after the crash.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...rges-1.4736826
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports All-Star

I'm surprised it took this long to charge him. He went through a stop sign 3 months ago. I guess it was to give people time to grieve.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    I'm surprised it took this long to charge him. He went through a stop sign 3 months ago. I guess it was to give people time to grieve.
    Likely wanted to make sure that the evidence was solid before charging. The truck driver is having a hard time with this as well. I know some won't give a shit because his actions led directly to the deaths of 16 people and changed the lives of a lot of people. If I lost a son or daughter to this type of action, I don't know how I'd feel; would I want the guy punished or would I forgive and hope he finds peace with what he's done. Difficult times for everyone involved.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    Likely wanted to make sure that the evidence was solid before charging. The truck driver is having a hard time with this as well. I know some won't give a shit because his actions led directly to the deaths of 16 people and changed the lives of a lot of people. If I lost a son or daughter to this type of action, I don't know how I'd feel; would I want the guy punished or would I forgive and hope he finds peace with what he's done. Difficult times for everyone involved.
    No doubt. Something he will have to live with. Has to be tough but, he was neglegant here and will have to suffer the consequences. I think the best thing to do here is for him to just plead guilty and not prolong the anguish for the families any longer. I think he can be forgiven if he does. It was a terrible and unfortunate accident.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    No doubt. Something he will have to live with. Has to be tough but, he was neglegant here and will have to suffer the consequences. I think the best thing to do here is for him to just plead guilty and not prolong the anguish for the families any longer. I think he can be forgiven if he does. It was a terrible and unfortunate accident.
    Yeah, I'm usually the vengeful type, but the guy made a very bad mistake that had horrific consequences and he'll have to live with this forever. He will face judgement and like you said, he should probably plead guilty and accept his fate.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

The Great One

So the driver pleaded guilty to all charges and now is awaiting sentence. I think I read somewhere that he could get up to 14 years in prison (don't quote me on that because I could be wrong).

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...ncos-1.4969739

I haven't heard exactly what the driver did to be charged with dangerous driving, other than going through the stop sign. I'm not judging the fairness of the charges, but I'm wondering if there is more to the story that has been made public. Was the driver speeding? Was he impaired at the time of the crash, or sleep deprived? Was he texting while driving? I'm just wondering if any more information has been made public.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    So the driver pleaded guilty to all charges and now is awaiting sentence. I think I read somewhere that he could get up to 14 years in prison (don't quote me on that because I could be wrong).

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...ncos-1.4969739

I haven't heard exactly what the driver did to be charged with dangerous driving, other than going through the stop sign. I'm not judging the fairness of the charges, but I'm wondering if there is more to the story that has been made public. Was the driver speeding? Was he impaired at the time of the crash, or sleep deprived? Was he texting while driving? I'm just wondering if any more information has been made public.
    If they could prove the speeding or impairment he would have been charged with it.

The seriousness of the charge and potential serious sentence is a direct result of the deaths and injuries of the accident, not the offense itself.

Society does this all the time, the injury results matter. It's the same as how when nhl players get suspended it's often longer if the player they hit illegally skates away fine or is carried off on a stretcher. The consequences are directly related to the seriousness of the injured party. Some dont agree with it but it's the reality.

Edit: Alot of people in society have blown a stop sign in their driving career. The vast majority were fortunate enough not to take out a bus full of kids. If a police officer saw you do it you'd get a $200ish fine and be on your way. At the end of the day the offense is the same, it's the result of the action that differed.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Titan

100% because his actions caused several people to die.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by MZac View Post
    If they could prove the speeding or impairment he would have been charged with it.

The seriousness of the charge and potential serious sentence is a direct result of the deaths and injuries of the accident, not the offense itself.

Society does this all the time, the injury results matter. It's the same as how when nhl players get suspended it's often longer if the player they hit illegally skates away fine or is carried off on a stretcher. The consequences are directly related to the seriousness of the injured party. Some dont agree with it but it's the reality.

Edit: Alot of people in society have blown a stop sign in their driving career. The vast majority were fortunate enough not to take out a bus full of kids. If a police officer saw you do it you'd get a $200ish fine and be on your way. At the end of the day the offense is the same, it's the result of the action that differed.
    yeap, I hear you, and I don't really know what is fair. Should the driver be forgiven for a momentary lapse of judgement which many of us have made in our own lives, but didn't result in any harm? Or should the driver be punished to the fullest extent of the law because so many people died? I really can't say.

To relate a personal story that I think about often, around 30 years ago I was in a serious car accident. Fortunately, no one was injured, but I was doing something very stupid (which a lot of teenagers do). Not long after my accident, my girlfriend's (at the time) brother got into a similar accident doing a similarly stupid thing and unfortunately his accident resulted in four people getting killed. He was charged and found guilty and spent 25 years in jail. Over the last 25-30 years, he spent most of his time in prison while I went to University, got a job, raised two kids, etc. The only difference was the result of the stupid mistake we each made as bone-head teenagers. My kids will be learning to drive soon and it scares the crap out of me. One stupid, momentary lapse of judgement could literally ruin your life, and the life of others.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

The Great One

Not to start a controversy, nor downplay the tragedy in any way, but something else that really upsets me with this story is that there were apparently other accidents at this very intersection prior to the bus crash, including at least one that resulted in multiple fatalities, but no authority did much to prevent further accidents. Now as a result of this major tragedy, numerous safeguards are being recommended. It is a real shame that these safeguards were not considered and implemented a long time ago.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    yeap, I hear you, and I don't really know what is fair. Should the driver be forgiven for a momentary lapse of judgement which many of us have made in our own lives, but didn't result in any harm? Or should the driver be punished to the fullest extent of the law because so many people died? I really can't say.

To relate a personal story that I think about often, around 30 years ago I was in a serious car accident. Fortunately, no one was injured, but I was doing something very stupid (which a lot of teenagers do). Not long after my accident, my girlfriend's (at the time) brother got into a similar accident doing a similarly stupid thing and unfortunately his accident resulted in four people getting killed. He was charged and found guilty and spent 25 years in jail. Over the last 25-30 years, he spent most of his time in prison while I went to University, got a job, raised two kids, etc. The only difference was the result of the stupid mistake we each made as bone-head teenagers. My kids will be learning to drive soon and it scares the crap out of me. One stupid, momentary lapse of judgement could literally ruin your life, and the life of others.
    Its sad any way you look at it. 25 years seems harsh but we dont know what the stupid thing was. If there was a risk taken, then the punishment would fit the crime. Its like anything else in life i guess. Sometimes we're lucky and sometimes we're not.

In this case, when you go through a stop sign and dont kill anyone, consider it your lucky day.

Dobber Sports Pro

For what it's worth, "Dangerous Driving" and "Dangerous Driving Causing Death" are completely different charges. Obviously he was charged with the latter-- 16 times. So he's not being charged with going through a stop sign, he's being charged with going through a stop sign and killing people in the process.

Another note: the max sentence is 14 years in prison for each charge... so theoretically he could be sentenced to 224 years in prison for the Causing Death charges (14 x 16). He's also charged with causing Bodily Injury to the other individuals on the bus (another 13 charges). Oftentimes sentences run concurrently, but either way, he could be looking at life in prison. Really depends on how they approach it.

Just a heart-wrenching story for all involved, no matter how he's punished.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by rtstr View Post
    For what it's worth, "Dangerous Driving" and "Dangerous Driving Causing Death" are completely different charges. Obviously he was charged with the latter-- 16 times. So he's not being charged with going through a stop sign, he's being charged with going through a stop sign and killing people in the process.

Another note: the max sentence is 14 years in prison for each charge... so theoretically he could be sentenced to 224 years in prison for the Causing Death charges (14 x 16). He's also charged with causing Bodily Injury to the other individuals on the bus (another 13 charges). Oftentimes sentences run concurrently, but either way, he could be looking at life in prison. Really depends on how they approach it.

Just a heart-wrenching story for all involved, no matter how he's punished.
    If this were the US, then theoretically would most likely be reality. I haven't looked up similar cases or anything, but I would expect (even though Canada can lay sentences/convictions end to end now) that these charges will run concurrent with each other - all overlap. Him pleading guilty, will be considered in the decision (expect months away)

I'm thinking he gets 10-12 years for this. If it's 10 years - it will count the time served - 1 year (by the time this is done) and likely another 4-6 before released on parole for the remainder of his sentence. Parole is considered part of serving his sentence - not abbreviating it. I expect, he'll get parole when it comes up as this isn't the type of offence anyone expects a re-offense to occur.

I'll just add **this is my opinion on what will happen - not my opinion on what I think should or should not happen.

if you're expecting a 25+yr jail term out of this, I suspect you'll be disappointed.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4