Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Charges laid in fatal Humboldt Broncos bus crash

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Charges laid in fatal Humboldt Broncos bus crash

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    Not to start a controversy, nor downplay the tragedy in any way, but something else that really upsets me with this story is that there were apparently other accidents at this very intersection prior to the bus crash, including at least one that resulted in multiple fatalities, but no authority did much to prevent further accidents. Now as a result of this major tragedy, numerous safeguards are being recommended. It is a real shame that these safeguards were not considered and implemented a long time ago.
    This was in the article I read as well. It said there was some obstruction on private property that could have affected the vision of the driver.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    This was in the article I read as well. It said there was some obstruction on private property that could have affected the vision of the driver.
    Obstruction of the stop sign?

Dobber Sports Jedi

The obstruction, as far as I know was the crop of trees to the left, where the bus was coming from - limits view until closer to the stop sign. Doesn't remove the requirement to stop, but does really limit drivers sight lines.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

The Great One

I was looking at an overhead picture of the intersection and the trees would have blocked the view of both the bus driver and the truck driver from each other. If either driver could have seen the other vehicle approaching the intersection, perhaps one of them at least could have done something to avoid or minimize the accident. Unfortunately the trees made it impossible for either vehicle to see each other until it was too late. Again, this doesn't mean the truck driver shouldn't have stopped at the intersection.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    I was looking at an overhead picture of the intersection and the trees would have blocked the view of both the bus driver and the truck driver from each other. If either driver could have seen the other vehicle approaching the intersection, perhaps one of them at least could have done something to avoid or minimize the accident. Unfortunately the trees made it impossible for either vehicle to see each other until it was too late. Again, this doesn't mean the truck driver shouldn't have stopped at the intersection.
    I don't know about anyone else... but when I am driving in the backroads of northern Sask or Manitoba, I usually pay extra attention at such corners that have these trees or buildings at the corner.

It was taught to us as 'defensive driving'. Basically considering the conditions around you and thinking about what other drivers potential actions as well. Just because you do not have the stop sign, does not mean that the other driver is going to stop at their stop sign.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    I don't know about anyone else... but when I am driving in the backroads of northern Sask or Manitoba, I usually pay extra attention at such corners that have these trees or buildings at the corner.

It was taught to us as 'defensive driving'. Basically considering the conditions around you and thinking about what other drivers potential actions as well. Just because you do not have the stop sign, does not mean that the other driver is going to stop at their stop sign.
    I completely agree with you. I do that at all intersections and will teach my kids to do this. I try to get my wife to do that also, but she thinks I'm just complaining about her driving. I try to explain to her that you can't always assume the other cars will stop just because they have a stop sign or red light. I ALWAYS look both ways when entering an intersection and many times in my life I have had to brake hard because someone else blew the stop sign/red light.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Star

As horrible as this whole thing is, I think it is extremely commendable the way the driver is handling the situation. A lot of people will say that this would never happen to them because they are always driving defensively, but I think it is really something that could have happened to anybody. Are you driving perfectly 100 percent of the time? I know that I am not. I blew through a stop sign just a couple of weeks ago; thankfully, the woman who was stopped crossing the intersection saw that I wasn't going to stop and she didn't proceed. I realized what I had done while I was driving through the stop sign.

Back to the driver though; as Seadawg said, he has plead guilty to all charges. He apparently has also told his lawyer that he will accept no plea bargain and will face 100 percent of the consequences. He said "I know that I can't make this situation better now, but I certainly don't want to make it worse. I accept full responsibility for my actions." Of course, I feel horrible for the victims and the families, but I also can't imagine what he is going through. I feel as though this could have happened to just about anybody.

Rylant

The Great One

I completely agree, Rylant. Such a sad situation all around. I don't want the victims' families to suffer any more, but I admit that I hope the truck driver doesn't get too harsh a sentence. I know as a society there are two reasons we put people in prison: to punish them for their actions and to protect society from a repeat offense. In this case, there is no real danger of a repeat offense and the driver will live with this grief his whole life, will no longer be a truck driver, and will likely have a hard time getting another job to support his family. I know this does not compare to the suffering of the victims and their families but I certainly feel for the driver as well.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

The Great One

https://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/humb...iver-1.4972428

"According to a preliminary statement of facts, Sidhu was not speeding, intoxicated or distracted at the time of the collision. The intersection where his semi crashed into the junior hockey team's bus was unobstructed and the stop sign where he should have yielded was clearly visible. But, for whatever reason, Sidhu missed it. Perhaps he was tired, or zoned out. Either way, it was a mistake — a horrific and deadly one — but one any one of us could have easily made.

On Tuesday, Sidhu pleaded guilty to 16 counts of dangerous driving causing death and 13 counts of dangerous driving causing bodily harm — a choice that will spare the Broncos families the anguish of a trial. And the plea was indeed very much a choice: Sidhu could have challenged the charges against him, thereby forcing the Crown to prove that his conduct constituted a "marked departure" from normal driving. The Supreme Court of Canada has established that a momentary lapse of attention alone is not enough to establish actus reus or mens rea (guilty act or mind) of the offence of dangerous driving.

There's a chance the Crown could have secured a conviction had Sidhu gone to trial, but from what we know of the details of the collision, it certainly would have been a challenge."

Dobber Sports Superstar

Jaskirat Sidhu was sentenced today to 8 years in prison.

Further, as he is a permanent resident (Indian citizen) and not a citizen of Canada, my understanding is that once he serves his term he will be be automatically deported back to India.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...idhu-1.5066842
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports All-Star

Probably best for everyone that he got 8 years and will be deported following his term.

It doesn't make sense to me that he gets 8 years for every death and 5 years for every injured person but will serve them concurrent. I imagine he will serve his time at a faciltiy far away from Saskatchewan.