Thread: Need help with my Goalie situation

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Need help with my Goalie situation

My Goalies were really bad last year and also project to be just as bad this year since 2 of my 4 are UFA's at this time. Team and League in signature. We score W = 2 pts, SO = 2 pts and start 2 goalies weekly.

I would like to try to trade from a position of strength (defence) but it's almost impossible to trade and everyone always needs goalies.

I have 5 picks in our upcoming draft so should I eye up drafting a guy that has a better chance of starting but may not have the best upside?

Thomas Greiss
    Carter Hutton
    Philipp Grubauer
    Tristan Jarry

Or draft a top prospect and hope one of them works out?

Ilya Samsonov
    Thatcher Demko
    Igor Shesterkin
    Ilya Sorokin
    Carter Hart

Or even a little of Column A and a little of Column B?

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated as well.

Thanks!!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8 Team Full Keeper League
    Points only. H2H weekly changes. 40 player roster, dress 12 F, 6 D, 2 G.

Forwards: (G=1, A=1)
    Bergeron, Pominville, Gaudreau, E Lindholm, Teravainen, Saad, MacKinnon, Atkinson, Duclair, Radulov, McDavid,
    Bjugstad, Kaprizov, Gallagher, Dal Colle, Hornqvist, O'Reilly, Hertl, Labanc, Meier, J.T. Miller, Tatar, Connor,

Defence: (G=1, A=1)
    Ristolainen, Brodie, Faulk, Hamilton, Werenski, Matheson, Spurgeon, Josi, Vatanen,
    Pulock, McDonagh, Stralman, Rielly

Goalies: (W=2 + SO=2)
    Raanta, Schneider, Mason, Lehtonen

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: Need help with my Goalie situation

Hard to predicate goalies imo . Will Sorokin/Shesterkin ever come over ? Samsonov maybe a backup for holtby for a while unless they decide to trade him. Hart/Demko are the two goalies that don't really have much competition in front of them as long as the keep playing well. For the others Greiss i'm not a believer in, he will probably backup Lehner for most of next year. Jarry personally i don't think he will be the starter for Pits in the future, it seems like Murray had a lot of personal issues to deal with last year and with his extended off season i think he does well next year. Jarry is a good handcuff though. Hutton will most likely be spilling starts with Ullmark next year, so basically the same situation he was in last year with Allen. Seems like Grub is the guy to go with here if you want someone who is at least proven he can start at the nhl level with no much competition and a great team in front of him .

Dobber Sports Titan

Drop both Mason and Lehtonen, then grab at least two from column A.
    Hutton, Grubauer, Greise, Harry, in that order.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Novice

Thanks very much for your input guys, yes the goalie position is a very tough one to predict indeed which is usually why I try to avoid drafting a prospect goalie too early. I agree with points from both of you and I think I prefer Grub since he has more upside and is younger than Hutton, if I somehow get the chance to draft both I think I may go that route though. Of course I'm still going to try to make a trade but as I mentioned that is very difficult.

Thanks again and if anyone else would like to chime in please feel free to do so.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bergeron, Pominville, Gaudreau, E Lindholm, Teravainen, Saad, MacKinnon, Atkinson, Duclair, Radulov, McDavid,
    Bjugstad, Kaprizov, Gallagher, Dal Colle, Hornqvist, O'Reilly, Hertl, Labanc, Meier, J.T. Miller, Tatar, Connor,

Ristolainen, Brodie, Faulk, Hamilton, Werenski, Matheson, Spurgeon, Josi, Vatanen,

Dobber Sports Ace

Assuming you keep Raanta and Schneider, I would draft Hutton and Hart (Philly and Buffalo headed in the right direction). Might have to wait until 2019-2020 to reap the benefit, but Hart is on his way, and Eichel/Dahlin bring a bright future.
    10 Team H2H Points (Keep 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G, & 1 non-goalie):
    G,A,+/-, PIM, PPG, SHG, GWG, OTG, FOWs, Hits, Blks, Maj, Mis, (bonus scoring for D-men makes them comparable to Wing)
    Wins, Saves, GA, Shutouts

18 Man Roster (3 IR slots) Daily Start: 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G

C: Zibanejad, Thomas, Tavares
    W: Stutzle, Robertson, Connor, Buchnevich, McCann
    D: Makar, McAvoy, Josi, Theodore, Matheson, Harley
    G: Georgiev, Binnington, Kochetkov, Andersen (IR)

Dobber Sports Titan

I put Hutton ahead of Grubauer solely on volume of playing time. If this was a league counting GAA and SV%, I would lean Grubauer over Hutton. League stats dictate.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Great One

i would also target Hutton and Grubs (and drop Mason and Lehtonen). I would also drop a few of your F/D scrubs (Dal Colle, Duclair, Strahlman) and draft Hart, Samsonov and/or Demko. You need to invest a lot more in your goalie situation, imo.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Drop Mason/Lehtonen. Get Hutton/Grubaeur/Demko

Dobber Sports Grand Master

1. Drop Mason & Lehtonen. Never pick up Lehtonen again, he's toast. Mason is useful as an emergency fill-in if he's got a job, but do not rely on him, unless he has a cushy starting gig lined up - meaning everyone of any note on the team, excluding prospects, is hurt or a clear backup. He needs to be the starter and the Jets were a bad fit.

2. As others have said, drop some of your deep depth in skaters to add goalies, and try and fix this roster situation. Clearly some teams are hoarding goalies.It's an 8 team, starting 2, and you going you have Schneider, Raanta, and guys who are at best tandem goalies.

3. You should not be drafting 1 goalie, you need to draft 3 if you can.

2 of Hutton/Jarry/Grubauer/Demko would help. I like Jarry here, as he should have value to a guy who has Murray, and you may be able to get a lower end starter in return. Don't limit yourself to these guys, though. Mrazek fits as a flyer, as well. Basically you are looking for guys who have paths to starting jobs that don't have established goalies or a up and comer on the cusp in front of them. I'm not a fan of Greiss, really.

1 or more of the prospect guys, and that also includes anybody under 25 in the NHL with a good shot at a starting job.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Novice

Thank you guys so much, I really appreciate the suggestions. Yeah my 5 drops will be pretty easy, at first I wasn't keen on dropping Mason and Lehtonen but seeing them still being UFA's is not a great sign. Also we don't have a waiver wire except right after our draft all the drops are available for a few days. Mrazek could be available that way as he's already on a team.

There is still lots of time left to think but as of right now I feel I will try for at least 2 goalies in the draft.

Thanks again everyone!!!