Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Alex Nylander - Move or hold?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Alex Nylander - Move or hold?

Hey guys,

I've acquired Alex Nylander in a pkg of picks/players this off-season and am wondering what I have. I've been offered Anderson-Dolan and an early 2nd rd pick for Nylander. I know that JAD doesn't have the upside that Nylander has but he has more NHL surety, imo. At this point, do you keep Nylander and hope that he breaks out this year? Or, have his first two seasons been foreshadowing of what is to come this year and beyond - a whole lot of mediocre nothing???

Any insight would be appreciated!

Edit: I should mention that I am in full rebuild and have a 1-2 year period where I want to acquire as many good assets as I can before contending
    28 team, pts only, Keep 9 (or 10 if you miss playoffs)

Start 9 fwd, 4D, 1G

F: [B] Kuznetsov, Konecny, Hall, Crosby, Kreider, Couturier, Lindholm, Bergeron, Schmaltz
    D: [B] Hedman, *Girard, Jones, Petry, Doughty
    G: [B] Vasilevskiy

Farm
    Heponiemi, Comtois, Kayumov, Krebs, Abramov, Khovanov, Shalagin, Dineen,

Administrator

Default Re: Alex Nylander - Move or hold?

Use Nylander in a more meaningful trade. Teams constantly overpay for young potential. Make it count.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks Eric,

Rep!

Start 9 fwd, 4D, 1G

F: [B] Kuznetsov, Konecny, Hall, Crosby, Kreider, Couturier, Lindholm, Bergeron, Schmaltz

Farm

Dobber Sports Wizard

I would move him but not for that.

Dobber Sports Deity

Screw that. I'd be holding Nylander and being patient or looking for a much better return.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Jedi

Nylander has NHL games under his belt JAD doesn't, not sure about the NHL surety comment. it's also more likely than not that Nylander starts the year with the Sabres (51% and up).

I would (and have) used him as an add on with a good player to obtain a better player and upgrade your roster. Most prospects are just assets to be used to ensure you get the best player in the deal every time.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Screw that. I'd be holding Nylander and being patient or looking for a much better return.
    Axe stole my reply...
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Foerster, Michkov, Kakko, Toffoli
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Minyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR- Quinn(RW)
    Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I think this is the right advice. Part of the reason for this thread is that I've been shopping him for weeks now and there is zero interest in the league to pay anything more than the return I mentioned at the start.

To hold out for a better return and risk the player fading into SHL obscurity, or to cut-bait and take what I can get now?

The consensus seems to be waiting it out and absorbing that risk in favor of someone stepping up and becoming willing to pay a suitable return.

Thanks guys! I appreciate the feedback. Would welcome any more from people who watched him closely at the end of last year where he seemed to pick up some steam in terms of his assertiveness and willingness to get stuck in. Did you see a real player here?

Start 9 fwd, 4D, 1G

Farm

Dobber Sports Padawan

So the potential outcomes you are betting on are him fading into SHL obscurity, or him becoming a productive NHl fantasy asset in a couple years time? I'd say you are far closer to the ladder happening, and if not, missing out on that return (JAD&2nd) is a fair price to pay in my eyes for a chance at a solid Nylander.

Administrator

There's more than two outcomes here. Prospects can be used in trades to improve the core of the team. Works really well with guys like Nylander who are teetering. Someone will bite and your team will improve as a result. It's called asset management.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Wizard

I would try to get someone else who has lost his shine. Dylan Strome and Jesse Puljujarvi are two names that come to mind. Some people are ready to throw them under the bus but I like both of them much more than A. Nylander.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    I would try to get someone else who has lost his shine. Dylan Strome and Jesse Puljujarvi are two names that come to mind. Some people are ready to throw them under the bus but I like both of them much more than A. Nylander.
    I'd be shocked if Nylander could get either of those guys.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    I'd be shocked if Nylander could get either of those guys.
    Ya, it's pretty tough sledding trying to get value at this point. I've reached out to both owners and neither had any interest in that kind of swap. Because of Nylander's two failed AHL years his value is at a real low arc and moving him for a similarly talented - if flawed - player isn't attractive to other owners. Have to wait it out and hope he has a good pre-season methinks.

Start 9 fwd, 4D, 1G

Farm

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by MasterByte View Post
    So the potential outcomes you are betting on are him fading into SHL obscurity, or him becoming a productive NHl fantasy asset in a couple years time? I'd say you are far closer to the ladder happening, and if not, missing out on that return (JAD&2nd) is a fair price to pay in my eyes for a chance at a solid Nylander.
    It's a good point - a 2nd pp and JAD isn't all that much to miss out on.

Start 9 fwd, 4D, 1G

Farm

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Pantagruelist View Post
    Ya, it's pretty tough sledding trying to get value at this point. I've reached out to both owners and neither had any interest in that kind of swap. Because of Nylander's two failed AHL years his value is at a real low arc and moving him for a similarly talented - if flawed - player isn't attractive to other owners. Have to wait it out and hope he has a good pre-season methinks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pantagruelist View Post
    It's a good point - a 2nd pp and JAD isn't all that much to miss out on.
    Sounds like Nylander's value is way too low in your league, so keeping him is probably your best bet. If he has a good stretch at some point, don't fall in love with him - see if someone is willing to buy then.