Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Where will Pacioretty go?

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Where will Pacioretty go?

So assuming Pacioretty is not staying in Montreal (I think that bridge has been burnt already), where will he go?

A few teams that were probably interested have already found their goal-scoring winger from elsewhere. The Flames signed Neal, the Flyers signed JVR, the Panthers traded for Hoffman, and the Kings signed Kovalchuk.

So who else might go after him? Did the Canadiens wait too long to trade him? Will he get out of Montreal or does he have to wait until he hits UFA?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Where will Pacioretty go?

Destination: Florida 2019.
    I think it's going to be hard for Habs to get value out of Pacioretty.
    He, like Tavares, is coming up on a big UFA summer... and I think teams can sniff where he might want to go.

Both MaxPac and his wife (sister of Maxim Afinogenov) have family in south Florida.
    That, along with the Florida state zero-tax, makes that an attractive spot for him.

So anybody NOT named Florida (or TB) probably realizes he is a one-year rental.
    And... if the Cats can have him for free next summer... why give up anything at all (right now)???

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/c...e-to-panthers/
    http://montrealgazette.com/sports/ho...ummer-of-rehab
    [In article above, note this line of text: Pacioretty and his family call Florida their off-season home, and they don’t have to go far to find company: his parents and those of Katia live in their neighbourhood, meaning two grandchildren are spoiled pretty much every minute of the day. “It’s so nice to spend summers with my family,” Pacioretty said. “Having that family support has made it so much easier on me this summer. Whenever I thought I’d had a bad day or my knee didn’t feel great, it was, ‘Alright, let’s have everyone over for dinner.’"

I think Habs are going to have a really, really tough time getting anything solid for him.
    I think he'll be a trade deadline rental... and may not fetch more than a 2nd rounder.

Dobber Sports Deity

At this point, it wouldn't surprise me if he just re-signs. I think MB overplayed his hand and probably asked for too much and thats why he's still in Montreal. Of course I have no idea if that's what happened but just my observation.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Genius

The Habs waited far too long to address the issue with Patches. Ultimately I think he leaves as a FA though.

They should look at sending him to the Pacific. He'd fit right in with the Ducks or paired up with Stastny in Vegas.

Would also be interesting to see him in Pittsburg or Edmonton but I suppose that could be said about most goal-scoring wingers.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    At this point, it wouldn't surprise me if he just re-signs. I think MB overplayed his hand and probably asked for too much and thats why he's still in Montreal. Of course I have no idea if that's what happened but just my observation.

I think Pacioretty is the type of player that is going to age well. He plays the game like Patrick Marleau did/does. I wouldn't worry to give him a 6-7 year extension. The thing is, he wants to get paid. He got screwed on his last contract. He fired Pat Brisson and went with Allen Walsh two weeks ago.

Can Montreal afford him? Probably. Should they? No.

You're right that Bergevin overplayed his hand.

My bet is that Pacioretty will end up with a team like the Oilers who badly needs scoring and quality wingers.
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Padawan

Vegas?
    16 Team H2H Dynasty
    G A Pt PIM SoG PPP H+B FOW DZS
    W Svs GAA Sv%

C Scheifele Tavares Dvorack Eller
    LW Domi Aho Ritchie Vrana
    RW Tarasenko J Williams Laine Sheary
    D Klefbom M Rielly Spurgeon Provorov Ellis Dahlin
    R White Kase Schmaltz Thomas Anston-Reese Lindell Theodore

G McEhlinney C Anderson
    R Kuemper

M Bjork Raddysh Kravtsov Ylonen Soderstorm Gilles Gustavsson Point Khakonen Delia Hill

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by yougo View Post
    I think Pacioretty is the type of player that is going to age well. He plays the game like Patrick Marleau did/does. I wouldn't worry to give him a 6-7 year extension. The thing is, he wants to get paid. He got screwed on his last contract. He fired Pat Brisson and went with Allen Walsh two weeks ago.

Can Montreal afford him? Probably. Should they? No.

You're right that Bergevin overplayed his hand.

My bet is that Pacioretty will end up with a team like the Oilers who badly needs scoring and quality wingers.
    Unless Montreal is trading Pacioretty straight up for someone like Lucic, he isn't coming to Edmonton. The cap space isn't there for what Pacioretty will be demanding as a UFA unless the Oilers move out a big contract themselves.

Right now, I think the Oilers are happy to sit back and let kids like Benson and McLeod develop into a scoring type of winger on the left side. On the right side they are waiting for kids like Puljujarvi and Yamamoto to develop. It's not like they have any other choice really considering their cap situation. Yes, I know McLeod was drafted as a center but he plays wing as well. That's why you draft these kids; to develop into quality NHL players. It's not like McDavid or Draisaitl are even close to their prime years so they can afford to be patient right now.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Destination: Florida 2019.
    I think it's going to be hard for Habs to get value out of Pacioretty.
    He, like Tavares, is coming up on a big UFA summer... and I think teams can sniff where he might want to go.

Both MaxPac and his wife (sister of Maxim Afinogenov) have family in south Florida.
    That, along with the Florida state zero-tax, makes that an attractive spot for him.

So anybody NOT named Florida (or TB) probably realizes he is a one-year rental.
    And... if the Cats can have him for free next summer... why give up anything at all (right now)???

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/c...e-to-panthers/
    http://montrealgazette.com/sports/ho...ummer-of-rehab
    [In article above, note this line of text: Pacioretty and his family call Florida their off-season home, and they don’t have to go far to find company: his parents and those of Katia live in their neighbourhood, meaning two grandchildren are spoiled pretty much every minute of the day. “It’s so nice to spend summers with my family,” Pacioretty said. “Having that family support has made it so much easier on me this summer. Whenever I thought I’d had a bad day or my knee didn’t feel great, it was, ‘Alright, let’s have everyone over for dinner.’"

I think Habs are going to have a really, really tough time getting anything solid for him.
    I think he'll be a trade deadline rental... and may not fetch more than a 2nd rounder.
    Did not know that. Thanks for the info. You could be right - a trade and sign may not happen. But I do think they'd get a bit more even as a rental. Didn't Rick Nash get a 1st round pick?

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I just don't see Pacioretty re-signing with the Canadiens anymore. Is he really happy that they've been shopping him forever without finding a trade partner? Waking up every morning and just waiting for the news that you've been traded.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    Did not know that. Thanks for the info. You could be right - a trade and sign may not happen. But I do think they'd get a bit more even as a rental. Didn't Rick Nash get a 1st round pick?

I just don't see Pacioretty re-signing with the Canadiens anymore. Is he really happy that they've been shopping him forever without finding a trade partner? Waking up every morning and just waiting for the news that you've been traded.
    Very little surprises me when it comes to Marc Bergevin decisions. I think Pacioretty would be more then happy to re-sign with the Habs but who knows at this point. These guys say one thing to the media and could be thinking a totally different thing all together.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    1st round pick. Yes, sort of.
    There are GMs that will overpay for it... always a GM out there with his ass on the line, gotta show he will make a play to get better or be axed.
    That may continue (Heck, MIN paid a 1st rounder for Martin Hanzal a couple years ago!!!)

Hard to gauge that trade because Spooner (decent asset) was involved...
    But Boston also got NYR to take (half) the Beleskey contract/cap hit.

NYR won several playoff series with Rick Nash during his five years. (63playoff games in 5 straight playoffs)
    That's not something that Max Pacioretty can necessarily show on his resume. (just 6 playoff GP last 3 seasons... perhaps not his fault, but still doesn't help his case.)

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    1st round pick. Yes, sort of.
    There are GMs that will overpay for it... always a GM out there with his ass on the line, gotta show he will make a play to get better or be axed.

Hard to gauge that trade because Spooner (decent asset) was involved...
    But Boston also got NYR to take the Beleskey contract/cap hit.

NYR won several playoff series with Rick Nash during his five years. (63playoff games in 5 straight playoffs)
    That's not something that Max Pacioretty can necessarily show on his resume. (just 6 playoff GP last 3 seasons... perhaps not his fault, but still doesn't help his case.)
    Yeah, I'm not saying anyone would be smart to pay that kind of price for a rental, just saying that NHL GMs seem to be willing to do it.

Just looked over some other trades from the deadline. The Rangers got a 2nd round pick and a decent prospect (Rykov) for Grabner.

The Canadiens got a 2nd round pick and two depth prospects (Rychel and Valiev) for Plekanec.

The Blues got a 1st round pick and a good prospect (Foley) for Stastny.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I concede.
    You are right.
    He's good enough to get a (late) 1st back from a playoff contender.

(Sometimes... my comments aren't well thought out enough. Fair point!)

The Great One

Also keep in mind that most of MaxPac's salary will be paid by the deadline, so even teams tight to the cap can usually afford to find some room to make an add for a playoff run. That said, there really isn't much of a history of impactful players moving at the deadline ending up on Stanley Cup winning teams....

The Great One

I think he re-signs with the Habs.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Genius

Some chatter out of Montreal radio this afternoon is that Montreal is chatting with the penguins in regards to M.P.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.