Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: [SIGNED] Tavares in Toronto

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: [SIGNED] Tavares in Toronto

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Wow on the Tavares. I thought the Leafs could make it work (last year)...
    But I didn't actually think they'd try to pull it off long-term with the system already seeming to be working.

Going forward...
    IMO... I think Toronto is probably going to trade Kadri.
    He has very attractive cap value and he's a definite NHL C2.
    He's wasted if Toronto uses him as a C3.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Leafs move him for a D and picks in the next two months.
    That's my prediction on this impact on the Leafs.

I see Kadri as a more attractive league-wide asset than Nylander.
    (Marner isn't going anywhere.)
    +1 man

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    Does anyone think this may have a bit of a negative effect on Mathews? Probably not but you never know. He goes from the go to guy who was looking for more ice time from Babcock to a 1 1A situation.
    according to Pierre LeBrun, Matthews is "ecstatic" over Tavares joining the Leafs and he even reached out to Tavares trying to get him to join the leafs during the interview period.

Dobber Sports Sage

Wow color my pink. Never in a million years did I think he would sign with the leafs. Never will we hear the end of it. Fords next move will be assigning a parade committee for 2019!
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Pit Bulls View Post
    according to Pierre LeBrun, Matthews is "ecstatic" over Tavares joining the Leafs and he even reached out to Tavares trying to get him to join the leafs during the interview period.
    Did you expect anything else publicly?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ace

I'd think they hold Kadri just because of how much centre depth has become important in the playoffs. So long as he's on his current contract, he's a nice stable piece that means they really don't have as big a drop off after Matthews/Tavares.

The Leafs cap situation is going to be interesting. I think it'll be difficult to sell M&M to take less than JT.

I don't pretend to know what drives Matthews, but I suspect it's money over championships.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Bra View Post
    The Leafs cap situation is going to be interesting. I think it'll be difficult to sell M&M to take less than JT.
    Lou Lamoriello may have been able to but........

Dobber Sports Pro

As an Oilers fan, im glad JT stayed in the East.
    As a Canadian hockey fan, oh god no, why JT why did you ruin hockey coverage for the rest of my life? You all know what im talking about.

Dobber Sports Deity

I really thought Lou coming in, Trotz coming in, new arena down the road happening, that JT would stay in NY. The team has a bright future with or without JT, but he would have made it better.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I really thought Lou coming in, Trotz coming in, new arena down the road happening, that JT would stay in NY. The team has a bright future with or without JT, but he would have made it better.
    5yrs away to being cup favourites. Now, he's right there. On the cusp of being a legend.

Different situation with Stammer, his team were perennial cup favourites already. Why leave?
    2015 Vindaloo Cup Winner

Centre: Tavares, Seguin, Getzlaf
    LW: Kreider, Burakovsky (RW), Ehlers (RW)
    RW: Tarasenko, Silfverberg
    D: Klingberg, Subban, Karlsson
    G: Quick, Domingue

Bn Reinhart

20 Team Auction Draft, Keep 4, 6 forwards, 3 defense, 1 utility, 3 bench.
    Goals 3pts, Assists 2pts, +-.5pts, GAA -.3pts, Goalie wins 5pts, SO 3pts bonus.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Bra View Post
    I don't pretend to know what drives Matthews, but I suspect it's money over championships.
    It may not be terribly difficult.
    Veterans, typically, are considered to have earned their right to be paid more.
    Their salary may be considered for more than just for on-ice play, but they bring experience & leadership & lockerroom maturity.

I do believe that paying the youngest (/flashiest) player the top salary can kill a lockerroom.
    NJ is the primary example - when they signed Kovalchuk to that big payday way back when. That was the end of the NJ strong-era when Parise said, nuh-unh - goodbye.
    STL, for example, made Tarasenko their highest paid player and I think that (could have) alienated some of Oshie, Backes, and Shattenkirk.

If Tavares can keep his scoring within 10pts of Matthews... Matthews may not even try to ask for more than $11m... he may simply ask for exact same.
    I can totally see Matthews asking for an 8yr x $11m contract in summer 2019.
    And, if that's the case, Marner may be somwhere around Draisaitl+, so perhaps Marner will need/ask for 8yr x $9m.

Now... that's a lot of money for 3 guys... but CHI (Toews, Kane, Keith) have shown they can win CUPS with mass-allocation to three.
    And PIT (Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Kessel) has shown they can win CUPS with mass-allocation to four.

It's doable for the Leafs.
    The big key is to patch in ELC-value players to offset the cap hits.

Leafs can do it... though there is always one or two casualties of the main roster (i.e Kadri or Nylander, yes).

Dobber Sports Ninja

Winning will soothe any issues Matthews has with playing a little less. Definitely a Crosby/Malkin type scenario which is massive for the Leafs. Those projected lines, wow! Agreed about working on the D, but with the puck in the offensive zone more often, that should help the back end.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Demi-God

True.
    IIRC, I think CHI and PIT started their first cup wins either on the end of their stars ELC or on their stars bridge-RFA after their ELC.
    Either way, its the value of those ELCs (early RFA) cap hits that open up the cap space to roster the players & depth to win a cup.
    Surely Dubas & Co. was/is aware of that concept.
    Leafs best shot to win a Cup and get the roll going (ala CHI & PIT) will be in the next two years.

Dobber Sports Icon

Am I the only person who thinks this is a terrible signing by the Leafs? Tavares is great and he's one of the 30 best centers in the NHL but he's definitely not in the top 10 anymore. His cap hit is #1 among all forwards in the NHL.

The Leafs did not have any problems scoring goals last season as they were 4th in the league in goals for and Tavares is not going to help them give up less goals.

With that said, I fully expect the Leafs to trade Auston Matthews away for help on the back end.

IMHO Marner is better than Matthews and I can't see him taking less.

That means the top 4 (AM, MM, JT, FA) will make half the cap. Nylander will want a LD type deal. It's a lot of money being tied up. What a forward group!