Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: [SIGNED] Tavares in Toronto

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: [SIGNED] Tavares in Toronto

if they traded nylander , kap , johnsson does that give them enough room to take a shot on Pieterangelo and offer extension to Rielly (when time comes)

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    if they traded nylander , kap , johnsson does that give them enough room to take a shot on Pieterangelo and offer extension to Rielly (when time comes)
    Probably from a $ standpoint. But what are you trading those 3 for?

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Probably from a $ standpoint. But what are you trading those 3 for?
    Ya, three out, one in. You'd need two more players to fill those holes sent out, along with the salaries that comes with those players.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Not sure why people think that Nylander's contract sucks... He's 24, scored 60pts twice and was on pace for 70 this year. I'd say it's a pretty fair contract, maybe slightly over.

We'll never know, but maybe if they dont sign Tavares to $11M, maybe they would have been able to sign Matthews/Marner for a bit less... Matthews clearly wanted to be the highest paid player on the team and Marner wanted something close to that.

Dobber Sports Titan

Yeah I don't see a fit in Pietrangelo. I think someone in the Hanifin mould is much more likely. Maybe now is when Josh Manson can be pried out of Anaheim?

Either way, Tavares isn't moving, and his contract on its own isn't the whole issue, but it does compound things.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Yeah I don't see a fit in Pietrangelo. I think someone in the Hanifin mould is much more likely. Maybe now is when Josh Manson can be pried out of Anaheim?

Either way, Tavares isn't moving, and his contract on its own isn't the whole issue, but it does compound things.
    Buffalo has a few too many Dmen that could help the Leafs. Then again, they didn't really help Buffalo much so maybe they cant help the Leafs LOL!

Friedman was mentioning how Brandon Montour might go unqualified by the Sabres so he might not be a bad option for Toronto. He'd be cheaper and better than Ceci.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Buffalo has a few too many Dmen that could help the Leafs. Then again, they didn't really help Buffalo much so maybe they cant help the Leafs LOL!

Friedman was mentioning how Brandon Montour might go unqualified by the Sabres so he might not be a bad option for Toronto. He'd be cheaper and better than Ceci.
    As long as we don't think Montour is a top pair guy to play 22 minutes a night.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    As long as we don't think Montour is a top pair guy to play 22 minutes a night.
    They use Ceci that way so how bad can it get with Montour LOL!

Brian Burke also mentioned a possible Edmonton/Toronto type deal that would possibly see someone like Adam Larsson go for one of Kapanen or Johnsson. That would help both teams and be a smart hockey trade, but those rarely happen these days LOL!

Dobber Sports Titan

JT's No Movement Clause is the reason why he won't go...After 2 seasons, I can't see someone who struggled as much as he did to just think, "ya I'm out" in an organization like the Leafs. I'm 100% naive on this, but I don't think the Leafs are having any Karlsson/Hoffman issues behind the scenes.

I do think there's the typical hockey locker room stuff that's not ok ("womanizing"/cheating, wouldn't be surprised on drugs) but nothing out of the norm for a locker room.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Padawan

I said it when it happened and my friends all looked at me like I was crazy, but I stand by it. Signing Tavares was a stupid move and done purely for PR. With Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Kadri they had all the young offence they needed, and more than enough in contract demands. Money should have been spent on defense and it's really showing itself now. Even the 80's Oilers had guys like Charlie Huddy and Kevin Lowe.

10th year Keeper League, Fantrax

14 teams, H2H, keep 10, daily starts
    G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PIM (0.1), PPP (1), FOW (0.1), FOL (-0.1), BLK (0.5), HAT (3), W (5), SO (3), SV (0.1), GA (-0.5)

C (3) - Schmaltz (LW, RW), Mercer (RW), Norris (IR), Domi (LW), T. Johnson (RW), Nosek (LW)
    LW (3) - Keller (RW), Hagel, McCann (C), Zacha (LW), Kubalik (RW), N. Foligno (IR)
    RW (3) - Fiala (LW), Vilardi (C), Ehlers (LW), Kakko
    D (4) - Theodore, Orlov, Grzelcyk, T. van Riemsdyk, Clifton, Skjei, Weegar
    Util (1)
    G (1) - Montembault, Allen, Halak

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by The Guvnah View Post
    I said it when it happened and my friends all looked at me like I was crazy, but I stand by it. Signing Tavares was a stupid move and done purely for PR. With Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Kadri they had all the young offence they needed, and more than enough in contract demands. Money should have been spent on defense and it's really showing itself now. Even the 80's Oilers had guys like Charlie Huddy and Kevin Lowe.
    Agree to disagree. Anytime you can add an elite world class Center for only $ you find a way to do it. PR is an obvious by product but Tavares is NOT the problem Here nor was the signing a mistake. I watched this team flounder for years with only 1 true C (Sundin) and then Watched them flounder with only Bozak with all star winger in Kessel. This team with JT and Matthews Down the middle should be what the Leafs build around. Every line has 2 wingers but only 1 C. Dubas folded to W Nylander and did the very same thing to winger Marner. He didn’t learn from the Nylander experience and clearly repeated the same mistake with Mitch. He needed to sit on these guys. Even if it meant them sitting out the year. Earn the respect that Lou has. Now maybe Dubas deserves a mulligan or two given he’s a brand new GM in the NHL. But he better learn and I believe after this season he will start to understand that it’s his job to captain this ship and take a hard stance. He’s likeable but needs to be respected. That’ll come. Next year is the first year that he has HIS TEAM 100% including his coach. It’s sink or swim now. Make the needed moves This off season and push this team forward.

In my opinion, Suggesting signing Tavares is the problem or was a mistake is asinine. This guy has done nothing but produce. He’s the Leafs 2nd best Forward behind Matthews. Nylander should have been signed for $5-6M (based on comparatives) and Marner should have been hard caped at $9. So he’s over paid by $3-4M. But he has room still to play. Barrie out, Cici out a few more FA’s to figure out. A cap team like this needs to find a gem or two in their system. Enter Robertson, Sandin and hopefully Liljegren.

Dubas hasn’t been perfect and the pause and resulting flat cap is going to add complication. But I still think he has room to be creative and having the architect of the salary cap in the system can’t hurt.

The issue IS STILL clear. Blue line. That’s his next move(s). We’ll see if he delivers this off season. But I will never say “signing JT was a mistake and two years later, no one has even come close to changing my mind.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    JT's No Movement Clause is the reason why he won't go...After 2 seasons, I can't see someone who struggled as much as he did to just think, "ya I'm out" in an organization like the Leafs. I'm 100% naive on this, but I don't think the Leafs are having any Karlsson/Hoffman issues behind the scenes.

I do think there's the typical hockey locker room stuff that's not ok ("womanizing"/cheating, wouldn't be surprised on drugs) but nothing out of the norm for a locker room.
    No, JT being the captain and the 2nd most valuable forward is the reason the leafs won’t look to move him. Everyone else NEEDS to be considered in play, other than Reilly. And how did JT struggle in these past two seasons? His first year he put up near career #’s. I don’t understand the conspiracy theory your eluding to hear 2014OG?

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Agree to disagree. Anytime you can add an elite world class Center for only $ you find a way to do it. PR is an obvious by product but Tavares is NOT the problem Here nor was the signing a mistake. I watched this team flounder for years with only 1 true C (Sundin) and then Watched them flounder with only Bozak with all star winger in Kessel. This team with JT and Matthews Down the middle should be what the Leafs build around. Every line has 2 wingers but only 1 C. Dubas folded to W Nylander and did the very same thing to winger Marner. He didn’t learn from the Nylander experience and clearly repeated the same mistake with Mitch. He needed to sit on these guys. Even if it meant them sitting out the year. Earn the respect that Lou has. Now maybe Dubas deserves a mulligan or two given he’s a brand new GM in the NHL. But he better learn and I believe after this season he will start to understand that it’s his job to captain this ship and take a hard stance. He’s likeable but needs to be respected. That’ll come. Next year is the first year that he has HIS TEAM 100% including his coach. It’s sink or swim now. Make the needed moves This off season and push this team forward.

In my opinion, Suggesting signing Tavares is the problem or was a mistake is asinine. This guy has done nothing but produce. He’s the Leafs 2nd best Forward behind Matthews. Nylander should have been signed for $5-6M (based on comparatives) and Marner should have been hard caped at $9. So he’s over paid by $3-4M. But he has room still to play. Barrie out, Cici out a few more FA’s to figure out. A cap team like this needs to find a gem or two in their system. Enter Robertson, Sandin and hopefully Liljegren.

Dubas hasn’t been perfect and the pause and resulting flat cap is going to add complication. But I still think he has room to be creative and having the architect of the salary cap in the system can’t hurt.

The issue IS STILL clear. Blue line. That’s his next move(s). We’ll see if he delivers this off season. But I will never say “signing JT was a mistake and two years later, no one has even come close to changing my mind.
    Agree to disagree? Or what I suggested was asinine? Which one?

Lol... anyway, the Leafs had enough to build around with Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Kadri and Rielly. It's proving itself now. The Leafs already had all the firepower they needed. What they needed, and still need is defense. I believe bringing Tavares in actually hurt the development of Matthews. I believe naming Tavares captain also hurt that. This was supposed to be Matthews' team. Instead, it's the team of a guy who has won one NHL playoff series in his life.

10th year Keeper League, Fantrax

14 teams, H2H, keep 10, daily starts
    G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PIM (0.1), PPP (1), FOW (0.1), FOL (-0.1), BLK (0.5), HAT (3), W (5), SO (3), SV (0.1), GA (-0.5)

C (3) - Schmaltz (LW, RW), Mercer (RW), Norris (IR), Domi (LW), T. Johnson (RW), Nosek (LW)
    LW (3) - Keller (RW), Hagel, McCann (C), Zacha (LW), Kubalik (RW), N. Foligno (IR)
    RW (3) - Fiala (LW), Vilardi (C), Ehlers (LW), Kakko
    D (4) - Theodore, Orlov, Grzelcyk, T. van Riemsdyk, Clifton, Skjei, Weegar
    Util (1)
    G (1) - Montembault, Allen, Halak

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by The Guvnah View Post
    Agree to disagree? Or what I suggested was asinine? Which one?

Lol... anyway, the Leafs had enough to build around with Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Kadri and Rielly. It's proving itself now. The Leafs already had all the firepower they needed. What they needed, and still need is defense. I believe bringing Tavares in actually hurt the development of Matthews. I believe naming Tavares captain also hurt that. This was supposed to be Matthews' team. Instead, it's the team of a guy who has won one NHL playoff series in his life.
    This is Matthews team. JT having the C just let’s Matthews focus on hockey. Thereby advancing his development. So I again disagree. How’s the captaincy in Buffalo going for that young captain. How’s McDavid fairing with his team. Lots of cups? Lots of cup finals? Lots of conference finals? (I can keep going here). Matthews doesn’t need the C. And Kadri proved that he can’t be counted on as A C2 when it mattered. C3? Absolutely. But this team has a better foundation with 2 world class C’s. I don’t see how you can argue that. Dubas needs to be more aggressive. He needs to anticipate a hold out and address it ahead of time. That will come with experience. But I’ll take Matthews/JT (to help guide the way) and Rielly as the back bone, the lettermen of this team. Now Dubas... you have assets. Manage them Accordingly. Yeah you can suggest that this team minus JT but with two guys who held out only to come back and play “meh” would have made this team better but you have the benefit in that we’ll never know. The two best forwards by far over the past couple seasons have been Matthews and JT. It’s THEIR team. And I still stand by that. “JT signing was a mistake”... is an asinine statement IMO. Matthews, JT And Rielly need to be the foundation. The Central nervous system. If Dubas figures out how to build around these guys. THEN... then we’ll see this team evolve. Wingers are a dime a dozen on the leafs. Seriously. Whoever they flank JT and AM34 with will be borderline all stars. Not the other way around. That’s a lot of money he could clear out and adjust where the money is spent.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    They use Ceci that way so how bad can it get with Montour LOL!

Brian Burke also mentioned a possible Edmonton/Toronto type deal that would possibly see someone like Adam Larsson go for one of Kapanen or Johnsson. That would help both teams and be a smart hockey trade, but those rarely happen these days LOL!
    Man, that would be a hard pill to swallow for EDM... Hall for Larsson, then Larsson for Kapanen or Johnsson.