Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL Mock Draft 2018

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: NFL Mock Draft 2018

I picked Gronk and A.Rodgers early, that is a solid combo even though I usually wait on TE and QB.. But would love to own those two studs!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Padawan

Yeah if Healthy potentially top at their position. I like my first five picks, picking in the middle is horrible too.
    16 Team H2H Dynasty
    G A Pt PIM SoG PPP H+B FOW DZS
    W Svs GAA Sv%

C Scheifele Tavares Dvorack Eller
    LW Domi Aho Ritchie Vrana
    RW Tarasenko J Williams Laine Sheary
    D Klefbom M Rielly Spurgeon Provorov Ellis Dahlin
    R White Kase Schmaltz Thomas Anston-Reese Lindell Theodore

G McEhlinney C Anderson
    R Kuemper

M Bjork Raddysh Kravtsov Ylonen Soderstorm Gilles Gustavsson Point Khakonen Delia Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    I picked Gronk and A.Rodgers early, that is a solid combo even though I usually wait on TE and QB.. But would love to own those two studs!!
    They're both game changers. You want those on your team. Gronk in the second round is value. Rogers falls to the fourth, I'm always tempted...usually pass but very tempted.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Titan

So everyone rips on picking a D early.

I rather have jacksonville D than anyone picked in the 9th round as they will easily outscore anyone that was picked in that round. The point is winning, and JaxD will easily be a top 3, with a high chance at being the top D in the league.

If you don't get the top D or Kicker at the right round, you might as well wait till the last rounds, but the huge benefit of having the top at their position is very beneficial. Especially in leagues with limited adds/week.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

I pretty much stream def based on matchups in redraft formats. Make the playoffs most years.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    I pretty much stream def based on matchups in redraft formats. Make the playoffs most years.
    Yes, but if everyone did that it wouldn't go so smoothly for you.

You really need to react to your league. In my main long standing yearly league (12-man) everyone stockpiles RBs, as is the generally agreed upon best strategy. This inevitably allows top tier picks at other positions to drop in the draft. I'm known for having drafted 3 QBs, or 3 TEs if other people are going to go all out snagging RBs forcing me to reach down the rankings just to draft that position.

The other element as well is the waiver wire, and your waiver/FAAB system. Its a simple fact that you can't stream every position, and if you end up in a snag with QB, TE, DEF, kicker, its going to get harder and harder to make pickups. I prefer to intentionally 'short suit' (to use a common card game colloquialism) myself in a position to simplify who I am looking to pick up. As with hockey you should draft to compliment your management strategy.

Football is a weekly game, and even if you have the best guy it may be a poor matchup on a Thursday in London after a late Sunday night game 4 days before. I like redundancy at key positions.

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    So everyone rips on picking a D early.

I rather have jacksonville D than anyone picked in the 9th round as they will easily outscore anyone that was picked in that round. The point is winning, and JaxD will easily be a top 3, with a high chance at being the top D in the league.

If you don't get the top D or Kicker at the right round, you might as well wait till the last rounds, but the huge benefit of having the top at their position is very beneficial. Especially in leagues with limited adds/week.
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterByte View Post

You really need to react to your league. In my main long standing yearly league (12-man) everyone stockpiles RBs, as is the generally agreed upon best strategy. This inevitably allows top tier picks at other positions to drop in the draft. I'm known for having drafted 3 QBs, or 3 TEs if other people are going to go all out snagging RBs forcing me to reach down the rankings just to draft that position.

The other element as well is the waiver wire, and your waiver/FAAB system. Its a simple fact that you can't stream every position, and if you end up in a snag with QB, TE, DEF, kicker, its going to get harder and harder to make pickups. I prefer to intentionally 'short suit' (to use a common card game colloquialism) myself in a position to simplify who I am looking to pick up. As with hockey you should draft to compliment your management strategy.

Football is a weekly game, and even if you have the best guy it may be a poor matchup on a Thursday in London after a late Sunday night game 4 days before. I like redundancy at key positions.
    The discussion, the analysis... this is why I set up this Mock Draft... getting other people's opinions and comments... Thank you all so very much!!

I am of the outdated way of thinking:

Draft a Defense and Kicker in the final two rounds.
    Draft QB and TE only if there is extreme value at that draft spot and only carry one of each of them.

Last year was the first year ever that I drafted a TE early and I drafted Greg Olsen around his ADP.... and guess what I ended up streaming a TE for the season anyways...

I think the strategy to have a top-end TE and QB works... until they end up injured. I am debating trying to get Kelce in 3rd and Newton in 6th this year in my 10 team standard league... but I am nervous about it.

I?m speaking generally of course, and mostly to league set-ups such as this one which is what my original point was aimed at. You should have a general strategy going into any draft and absolutely know that particular league?s rules. That said, it is equally important to allow the draft to fall to you and be prepared to adjust your strategy accordingly. One redraft league I?m in charges each owner $5 per waiver tran. I avoid streaming in that league.

Dobber Sports Titan

Jacksonville D. 80% chance of being a top 3 in their position. Kerryon Johnson (who I would have picked instead) has prolly a 2% chance. I could have waited for another round or two to take a D, but I wanted the top one where I could focus my pick ups for the next few weeks on other guys. Bye week 9 helps me a ton in just waiting on who I would take to fill the bye week for my D.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Again, generally speaking, league set-up aside, there?s just no value in drafting def early. Draft Jax in the 8th (current adp) at projected 8 pts per, or Saints in the 14th (current adp) at close to 7 pts per? ADP based on 12 team leagues. 2018 projections list Jax as #1 and Saints as #12.

imo the value is with the Saints in the 14th and use rounds 8-13 to load up on depth at the WR and RB positions. Take dart throws at potential breakout players. Maybe an extra TE.

Regardless of how you draft, championship teams are usually won by working over the waiver wire. Depending on the level of your competition.

I shouldn?t say ?no value?. That?s not true. If Jax D fell to round 10/11 in a 12 team league that would still constitute as early relative to total number of rounds. But I would strongly consider drafting them at that point.

Dobber Sports Padawan

One redraft league I?m in charges each owner $5 per waiver tran. I avoid streaming in that league.
    Oh wow! Interesting approach, haven't seen that one before

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    The discussion, the analysis... this is why I set up this Mock Draft... getting other people's opinions and comments... Thank you all so very much!!

I am of the outdated way of thinking:

Draft a Defense and Kicker in the final two rounds.
    Draft QB and TE only if there is extreme value at that draft spot and only carry one of each of them.

Last year was the first year ever that I drafted a TE early and I drafted Greg Olsen around his ADP.... and guess what I ended up streaming a TE for the season anyways...

I think the strategy to have a top-end TE and QB works... until they end up injured. I am debating trying to get Kelce in 3rd and Newton in 6th this year in my 10 team standard league... but I am nervous about it.
    I think I would hold off Newton in the 6th in a 10 team league. As you can see from our mock, you can easily snag a top 10 guy as late as round 10-11. 12man league I would be tempted to draft a QB sooner once a QB run started.
    Nothing wrong with Kelce in the 3rd, the guy is like having an extra WR and he rarely misses games.

Oh wow! Interesting approach, haven't seen that one before
    Lol yeah...found out the hard way after year one when I was streaming kickers and defense all season. That?s why I always stress to read your league rules. I should practice what I preach.

Lol yeah...found out the hard way after year one when I was streaming kickers and defense all season. That?s why I always stress to read your league rules. I should practice what I preach.
    I have seen one where the only entry fee is $3 dollars per waiver transaction.. Then that money is pooled together at the end and 50% is used for the winner and 50% is used to order in pizza and beer for the team to watch the Superbowl.