Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [Wishful thinking] Habs keep Pacioretty and sign JVR

The Great One

Default [Wishful thinking] Habs keep Pacioretty and sign JVR

They are good friends and go way back apparently. With our scoring woes he would be a welcome addition. Pacioretty loves playing in Montreal. Re-sign him, give the ?C? to Weber, sign JVR, trade a 3rd rounder to Dallas for Spezza and a pick (and let him walk after next season when Kotkaniemi and Poehling are ready to play). Get rid of Schlemko and Benn, sign De Haan (who would be a discount grab given his season last year). Done. How do I get this to Bergevin?
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: [Wishful thinking] Habs keep Pacioretty and sign JVR

Patches is getting 6 million plus maybe 7 the way he has scored over the last 5 years, do you think Montreal or Bergevin would like to swallow that considering how much they have rode this guy even with one of the best contracts in hockey? Patches is gone for sure. I don't see them adding JVR another high priced winger who will command almost identical what Patches would. I see them overspending on a Stastny or some other fill in center and their young guys won't be ready to take the reigns for at least another 2 to 3 years possible longer. Developmentally Centers take almost as long as D men.

I think Montreal is in some real trouble. They have really screwed themselves down into a bad position. I kind of look at them like the Flames towards Kippers and Ignilas last years with the team. Good enough not to be last but bad enough not to make any noise. They need to embrace a full on rebuild.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,,J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov, C.Giroux, T.Terry
    D: Q. Hughes, A.Pietrangelo, J.Carlson, A.Ekblad, Sanheim
    G:Bobrovsky, Ingram

Dobber Sports Wizard

Centers and defensemen are the most important players on hockey teams, and Habs are lacking in both areas. Adding another winger isn't going to help them. The 2019 draft has a lot of good centers available, so may not be a bad idea to have a bad season. Saying that, I think they're fine long-term with Kotkaniemi and Poehling centering their top lines and either Olofsson or Ikonen centering the 3rd line. But that's still years away from happening.

Their biggest long-term need at this point might just be on defense. Weber isn't getting any younger. Mete is good but they need more. Brook and Juulsen are decent prospects but they need a stud 'D' from somewhere. It's very unlikely any of those three youngsters is going to be that stud who can eventually fill Weber's shoes. And short-term, their defense is in very rough shape.

It's a bit odd way of building a team that they decided to target wingers first but they have those spots pretty much covered already. Drouin, Gallagher, Lehkonen, Domi and Scherbak should be long-term options for them, and I think Ylonen will join that group in a couple of years. But the bad news part is that centers and defensemen require longer development time which is why teams usually start the building process from them.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    Centers and defensemen are the most important players on hockey teams, and Habs are lacking in both areas. Adding another winger isn't going to help them. The 2019 draft has a lot of good centers available, so may not be a bad idea to have a bad season. Saying that, I think they're fine long-term with Kotkaniemi and Poehling centering their top lines and either Olofsson or Ikonen centering the 3rd line. But that's still years away from happening.

Their biggest long-term need at this point might just be on defense. Weber isn't getting any younger. Mete is good but they need more. Brook and Juulsen are decent prospects but they need a stud 'D' from somewhere. It's very unlikely any of those three youngsters is going to be that stud who can eventually fill Weber's shoes. And short-term, their defense is in very rough shape.

It's a bit odd way of building a team that they decided to target wingers first but they have those spots pretty much covered already. Drouin, Gallagher, Lehkonen, Domi and Scherbak should be long-term options for them, and I think Ylonen will join that group in a couple of years. But the bad news part is that centers and defensemen require longer development time which is why teams usually start the building process from them.
    This sounds awful on so many levels. First bold will take years if ever for these prospects to turn into legit top 1-2 centers. Still a big gamble and they are not sure fire bets like Matthews, Eichel or McDavid. 2nd bold. That defence core is awful, just awful. They had a stud Sergchev that they traded for a winger, they need a lot coming back for that to be anywhere near decent. 3rd bold the wingers. This is suppose to be an area of strength? I would argue they might not even have one top line winger in that group closes being Gallagher or Drouin.

The only area they are set in is net with Price. I am willing to give him a mulligan for last year, although his injury history would have me worried.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,,J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov, C.Giroux, T.Terry
    D: Q. Hughes, A.Pietrangelo, J.Carlson, A.Ekblad, Sanheim
    G:Bobrovsky, Ingram

The Great One

So what do we think...Patches for ROR would be a good move? Sign DeHaan. Sign Oullett?
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett

IR:

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    They are good friends and go way back apparently. With our scoring woes he would be a welcome addition. Pacioretty loves playing in Montreal. Re-sign him, give the ?C? to Weber, sign JVR, trade a 3rd rounder to Dallas for Spezza and a pick (and let him walk after next season when Kotkaniemi and Poehling are ready to play). Get rid of Schlemko and Benn, sign De Haan (who would be a discount grab given his season last year). Done. How do I get this to Bergevin?
    I think the best way to get this to Bergevin is by buying a billboard and and putting it on there.

I mean it worked for Islanders fans...

Dobber Sports Deity

So what do we think...Patches for ROR would be a good move? Sign DeHaan. Sign Oullett?
    If the stories are true, this isn't the return that Buffalo wants for ROR. De haan would be an upgrade for the blueline but Oullet is just another bottom feeding Dman and they already have lots of them on their roster. Oullet is a wasted signing unless you want AHL depth and just another French name on your books.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    This sounds awful on so many levels. First bold will take years if ever for these prospects to turn into legit top 1-2 centers. Still a big gamble and they are not sure fire bets like Matthews, Eichel or McDavid. 2nd bold. That defence core is awful, just awful. They had a stud Sergchev that they traded for a winger, they need a lot coming back for that to be anywhere near decent. 3rd bold the wingers. This is suppose to be an area of strength? I would argue they might not even have one top line winger in that group closes being Gallagher or Drouin.

The only area they are set in is net with Price. I am willing to give him a mulligan for last year, although his injury history would have me worried.
    Drouin is a legit top-line winger once someone figures out that's where he needs to play. But I guess my point was more about teams not actually needing high-end wingers because that position is not that important. Any of those five names I mentioned can play on the top line if they have a good center who can carry that line. That's the important part.

Not going to disagree about the state of that team. It's not good.

The Great One

I really would not mind Pacioretty and JVR $6-7mil per for 4 or 5. But I know it won’t work that way and a contending team will offer more $$ to JVR for more term than they should and deal with the latter part of the contract later. I really don’t think Pacioretty wants to leave and if Bergevin were smart (HA) he’d leverage that into a more reasonable deal. A bridge center like Spezza or Thornton for a year would be helpful for now. No over-commitment on term and, particularly in Thornton’s case, a little gas left in the tank but more to show some of these kids how a consummate pro does business. Kind of like Jagr but 10 years younger.

I like the billboard idea but it’d be tough to fit the contents of this thread in one...
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max

IR:

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

IT's really a shame Bergevin likely screwed the Habs chances at luring in Tavares. Not that they actually had a chance... but he could have solved a HUGE issue for them. Instead... they get the Heisman maneuver. I think Bergevin needs to go just as bad as Snow needed to.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    IT's really a shame Bergevin likely screwed the Habs chances at luring in Tavares. Not that they actually had a chance... but he could have solved a HUGE issue for them. Instead... they get the Heisman maneuver. I think Bergevin needs to go just as bad as Snow needed to.
    I think Bergevin has been MUCH worse for the Habs than Snow was for the Isels. The Islanders have drafted and developed some really good players and not just one or two...not so for Montreal. And I don’t recall Snow actively using the media to drive down the value of his assets the way Bergevin has.
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max

IR:

Dobber Sports Ninja

If I were a Habs fan I'd simply want them to blow it up and rebuild. They can land 3 JVRs and still wouldn't be a playoff team next season they way they are shaping up...

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    If I were a Habs fan I'd simply want them to blow it up and rebuild. They can land 3 JVRs and still wouldn't be a playoff team next season they way they are shaping up...
    I don’t know what that would look like. They have a $10mil a year goalie in his prime and one of the best D men in the league just leaving his at $7.8mil. Neither of those contracts can be traded. They have some decent wingers (including Pacioretty) and some decent D prospects. It’s not a blow it up situation because they are stuck. What they need is a culture change and they need to fire Bergevin. I’m not so sure about Julien at this point either. I’m wondering if he’s part of the development issues. I don’t know how many of the young skilled Bruins (Seguin, Hamilton) who were traded away from Boston for a used puck bag happened while he was there, but I have to think there may be correlation there. Curmudgeon old school coach plus idiot GM equals clown show...
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max

IR:

Dobber Sports Deity

I don’t know what that would look like. They have a $10mil a year goalie in his prime and one of the best D men in the league just leaving his at $7.8mil. Neither of those contracts can be traded. They have some decent wingers (including Pacioretty) and some decent D prospects. It’s not a blow it up situation because they are stuck. What they need is a culture change and they need to fire Bergevin. I’m not so sure about Julien at this point either. I’m wondering if he’s part of the development issues. I don’t know how many of the young skilled Bruins (Seguin, Hamilton) who were traded away from Boston for a used puck bag happened while he was there, but I have to think there may be correlation there. Curmudgeon old school coach plus idiot GM equals clown show...
    If they are as good as you say/think they are, then they are tradeable.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

They are good but not that good. If Price is back in form this year (much less likely if the Habs suck again) he is tradeable. I don’t think Weber is because he is aging out of his prime. And a lot remains to be seen with that foot of his. I tend to believe no one would be willing to take on that contract.
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max

IR: