Thread: Jon Gillies - Sell or Hold?

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Jon Gillies - Sell or Hold?

For the team in my signature.

After building for 3 years my team finally looks primed to compete this season. I've got Jon Gillies and am wondering if I should try to flip him for Sorokin or Markstrom. I might have to add a bit in either case. Opinions on Gillies seem mixed, with some seeing him as a future stud starting goalie and others doubting he'll be much more than a backup.

In my position, would you be holding or looking to sell? Sorokin is an incredible talent but it'll be at least 2 more years until he comes over, if ever. Markstrom would give me the Vancouver handcuff but I'm not sure the talent is there for him to be more than a time-share guy at best.

Thoughts? Rep as always
    16 GM Dynasty
    H2H Points
    Weekly Matchups w/ Starts: 12F/6D/2G
    G(3), A(2), +/-(0.1), Hit(0.1), SOG(0.1), BS(0.1), PPP(1), SHP(1)
    W(4), L(-2), SO(4), Sv(0.2), GA(-1)

F: A. Svechnikov, R. Thomas, N. Suzuki, Pastrnak, Boldy, J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Frost, Tolvanen, Drouin, Heinen, Gallagher, N. Ritchie, Wood, Poehling, Podkolzin

D: Makar, Fox, Dobson, Byram, Dahlin, Ferraro, Michael Stone

G Sorokin, Hart, Georgiev, DeSmith

Farm: Firkus, Kayumov, Heimosalmi, Brennan, Werner, Kvaca, Parik

The Great One

Default Re: Jon Gillies - Sell or Hold?

With Jones/Dell + Raanta, you are not so bad for goalies in a 14 team, start 2. Grubauer has sneaky upside too; if you are lucky he's a starter next year.

I'm not solid on Gillies as a star starter, but also the first to admit I don't follow Calgary super closely. Given your depth, I'm much rather have Sorokin and swing for the fences.

[As for acquiring Markstrom, I'm not exactly sure how that gives you a handcuff; you don't have Nilsson or Demko...so you lost me on that part.]

EDIT: I don't know how I missed Demko on your farm. I like Markstrom more than Gillies, but still less than the home run swing on Sorokin!
    Last edited by als_revenge; June 28, 2018 at 7:01 PM. Reason: I'm blind, apparently

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Jon Gillies - Sell or Hold?

I'd be looking to sell. Not long ago, Markstrom was thought of just as highly as Gillies. You have Demko in your farm, so a tandem would be good. Sorokin is more highly regarded than Gillies ever was, I think, so that's good.

I'm unsure which goalie I'd want, but I'm a little leery of the sheer number of goalies you have.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.