Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [Rumour] Oilers have a deal in place for Lucic?

Dobber Sports Deity

Default [Rumour] Oilers have a deal in place for Lucic?

Let the rumour wheels start turning. Queue the haters....

https://oilersnation.com/2018/06/28/...r-milan-lucic/
    According to Andy Stickland from Fox Sports, there are rumblings circling that the Oilers could have a deal in place for Milan Lucic. This rumour comes only a week after his agent, Gerry Johansson, appeared on Oilers Now to calm things down a little bit so the timing is pretty funny overall. Which side is right? Let?s break this down.

After the season ended, there has been a seemingly endless supply of rumours surrounding the Oilers and Milan Lucic. Guys like Gregor, Friedman, and Seravalli have all talked about Lucic?s willingness to accept a trade out of Edmonton and how the Oilers are working to make it happen, but that?s kinda where things have stopped. The rumours were coming in hot and heavy for a while, but have calmed down considerably over the past couple 10 days or so.

I?m guessing that the if Strickland is right and the Oilers do actually have a deal in place that will move Lucic out of town, that it will only come after the Oilers pay out his $3.5 million bonus on July 1st. If that?s the case, you would hope that paying out his bonus means that the return would get bumped up considering the Oilers would be taking care of a fair chunk of what?s left in actual dollars owed. According to NHL Numbers, Lucic is still owed $26 million on his contract, and having the Oilers take care of his July 1st bonus would leave whoever picks him up on the line for the remaining $22.5 million (if they retained the full value of his contract, of course). It?s still a lot of cake to be certain, but it?s also significantly less than the $30 million in cap space that he?ll take up over the five remaining years on his deal.

Could there be a budget team out there that needs to add to the cap while also wanting to save some cash while they?re at it? It?s possible. Is it more likely that whatever the return would be is another similar cap hit type of contract (read: older overpaid player)? Probably.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

Default Re: [Rumour] Oilers have a deal in place for Lucic?

If we're talking dollars owed vs cap hit (and reaching the cap floor) being a factor then this smells like Ottawa

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Wizard

Remember when everyone was saying it was a bad contract the moment it was signed? Turns out everyone was right.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    Remember when everyone was saying it was a bad contract the moment it was signed? Turns out everyone was right.
    #culturechange

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

That would be huge for the Oilers to be able to move him out.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    That would be huge for the Oilers to be able to move him out.
    Let's wait and see what crappy contract they are taking back first before we make any determinations. That being said, if the Oilers pick up that bonus on July 1st, that will help on the return side of things (hopefully). Oilers fans don't have a lot of faith in Chiarelli when it comes to trading bigger named players.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sage

Soilers fans can rest easy knowing Burrows has already been bought out.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I'm just happy that some teams/GMs are finally realizing that there doesn't NEED to be a bit of goonery on a top line.
    Just put some guys out there that can skate & move the puck.

So the bigger question is... which team/GM even wants Lucic?
    Florida, perhaps!

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I'm just happy that some teams/GMs are finally realizing that there doesn't NEED to be a bit of goonery on a top line.
    Just put some guys out there that can skate & move the puck.

So the bigger question is... which team/GM even wants Lucic?
    Florida, perhaps!

A buddy of mine (who's a Sens fan) who read this report as well mentioned maybe a deal with Ottawa for Bobby Ryan. The Oilers pay a bit more on the cap (roughly $1M per season) but get out of the deal a year earlier.

Dobber Sports Titan

I like Eric's idea, and I'll take that one step further. Lucic for Bobby Ryan.
    Ryan has a backloaded contract in terms of dollars paid, while Lucic's was front loaded. Lucic has 5 years left, while Ryan has four. Maybe there's a pick/prospect to balance that out, but I think Ottawa caves for it either way. Plus EDM would be countering by taking on the larger cap hit (unless Ottawa retains some). Lucic gets some better deployment, will play against the Bruins, and generally needs some new scenery. Ryan just massively needs a change of scenery.
    Both just past the age of 30.

*Just another musing, what would the Oilers have to add to get Karlsson for a year, since they're hypothetically taking Ryan anyways.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    A buddy of mine (who's a Sens fan) who read this report as well mentioned maybe a deal with Ottawa for Bobby Ryan. The Oilers pay a bit more on the cap (roughly $1M per season) but get out of the deal a year earlier.
    Glad I'm not the only one with the idea.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Deity

I wonder how much of this comes into play when negotiating. One has to think it's important to both sides in regard to the return:

Well, about that. This summer represents a bit of an opportunity for a team who wants to buy Lucic’s service for the lowest possible real dollar amount on average. The way Milan’s contract was structured with its combination of signing bonuses and base salaries, the former Bruin power forward will have been paid almost half of his entire contract by July 1st 2018.

That mega-deal he signed was for $42,000,000 over the course of seven seasons, but he was paid $16,000,000 in actual dollars over years one and two, and then on July 1st he receives another $3,500,000 in bonus money. In real dollars, after July 1st 2018 he will have just $22,500,000 remaining on his deal over these next five seasons of hockey.

So what?

What that means is that Milan Lucic will only be paid an average of $4,500,000 per season by his new club for the remainder of his contract despite taking up $6,000,000 on the cap. To a club that wants to be at the cap limit that’s not overly valuable, but to a team who wants to be at the cap floor, it’s a bargain. The Islanders, Knights, Coyotes, and Hurricanes may all be interested in saving real dollars while staying compliant with the lower limit of $58.8M on the Cap.

Trading for Milan Lucic this summer gives potential teams the most likelihood of seeing Lucic regain some kind of value by bouncing back while also paying less for his services than he takes up on the Cap. For a Cap Floor team looking to get maximum value for the risk they take trading for him, now is the time to act. And by now, I mean after the cheque from the Oilers clears on July 1st.

Milan Lucic’s deal is not entirely undesirable, even if the market might be limited. As the tweet from the top of this article reminds us, there is hope. There are teams that just want to pay the least for a complete hockey team and somehow it might be possible to convince another human being that Lucic can help that cause.

What question remains will be how much is saving $1.5M in real dollars spent (compared to the cap hit) worth to another GM? Is that enough that the Oilers take back only a moderately poor player with a survivable contract? Lucic was unlikely to provide $6M dollars of value for the length of his deal, that was known already. However, he might only be an overpay of $2M for a couple more years.

Keep in mind, Lucic still has to agree to any trade before it happens. Will he even want to go to Ottawa or any other bottom feeding team.

Administrator

Personally I would find another way to get to the cap floor but I'm not surprised a GM would be interested in a deal like this.

Dobber Sports Sage

I imagine the Soilers will be retaining a sizeable portion of salary.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Glatt View Post
    I imagine the Soilers will be retaining a sizeable portion of salary.
    I'd imagine it would depend on who was coming back if a deal is happening.

Dobber Sports Titan

Lucic agent said they haven't approached him about a trade. Of course he'd say that, it's right out of the Agents Handbook
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll