Thread: Canucks acquire Jason Spezza (Imagined)

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Canucks acquire Jason Spezza (Imagined)

Wouldn?t this be the perfect fit? The Canucks are trying to sign Bozak, R.Nash, Beagle etc. Which are going to cost big money and probably term. Wouldn?t it be better with our cap space while were still in rebuild mode to go out and take a center on a bad contract from a team who needs cap space?

Dallas has been linked to Tavares and to a lesser degree Karlesson. They have been souring on Spezza for awhile and the Canucks need a place holding center to fill in the gap for the short term. Getting Spezza for a year would be a great fit for both teams. The only problem and it?s a big one is Spezza?s no movement/trade clause and I doubt he would want to come to Vancouver. However it would be a great fit otherwise and if the Canucks are looking for a place holder center they should be trying to acquire one from a team trying to free up cap space for a pick/prospect instead of signing a free agent for term.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,,J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov, C.Giroux, T.Terry
    D: Q. Hughes, A.Pietrangelo, J.Carlson, A.Ekblad, Sanheim
    G:Bobrovsky, Ingram

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Canucks acquire Jason Spezza (Imagined)

I moved this to the appropriate section for you.

I think Dallas would be over the moon if they could move him for anything at this point. They considered buying him out this off-season but decided to hold him instead.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

Spezza isn't the type of vet I would want to bring in for this team. Rebuilders need quality vets who can lead by example. At this point he is a massive underachiever which will not help make anyone else better.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Spezza is done. He's a slow-moving, 6'-3", 35 year old.
    He's ready for beer league.

Remember when the Flyers (& fans) thought signing Lecavalier at age 33 was a good move.
    Or when the LA Kings traded for him at age 35.
    And then he was out of the league before he turned 36.

Ah - the NHL was much slower then.

It's like that...
    Let Horvat & co have their ice time.

Dobber Sports Deity

He's in the last year of his contract and it will be interesting to see how the new coach deploys him this year.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Jedi

on one hand it makes some sense as they could trade out a player - Sutter for Spezza and assets (pick/prospect) to assist Dallas cap crunch. yet is Spezza the personality you want in a locker room with a bunch of rookies? I'm not sure he is. In the past I've heard concerns about his attitude (me, me, me) - and if you watch some previous interviews with him, I think some of those concerns can be confirmed. As good as it sounds to add a big contract to obtain extra assets - it's more important to be confident, those big contract players are going to benefit your kids growth & development. Find a better person on a Spezza contract and bring him in
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    on one hand it makes some sense as they could trade out a player - Sutter for Spezza and assets (pick/prospect) to assist Dallas cap crunch. yet is Spezza the personality you want in a locker room with a bunch of rookies? I'm not sure he is. In the past I've heard concerns about his attitude (me, me, me) - and if you watch some previous interviews with him, I think some of those concerns can be confirmed. As good as it sounds to add a big contract to obtain extra assets - it's more important to be confident, those big contract players are going to benefit your kids growth & development. Find a better person on a Spezza contract and bring him in
    Kind of what I was thinking, just someone on a bad contract that could maybe step in for a couple of years instead of wasting the money on a bad free agent. Use the cap space to get an asset or two.

Dobber Sports Sage

Man if I was a canuck fan I wouldn't want the team to give a bag of pucks for spezza and his contract. If I was canucks management and going to spend money on a declining player like that I'd need a draft pick or prospect accompanying him. I think Dallas would love to pull the wool over someones eyes and unload spezza but I suspect they are stuck with him.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by MZac View Post
    Man if I was a canuck fan I wouldn't want the team to give a bag of pucks for spezza and his contract. If I was canucks management and going to spend money on a declining player like that I'd need a draft pick or prospect accompanying him. I think Dallas would love to pull the wool over someones eyes and unload spezza but I suspect they are stuck with him.
    Yes exactly what I said. Pick/Prospect with him. It would be use just taking him off of Dallas hands.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    Kind of what I was thinking, just someone on a bad contract that could maybe step in for a couple of years instead of wasting the money on a bad free agent. Use the cap space to get an asset or two.
    The Maple Leafs model. I'm actually surprised more teams haven't gone this hard towards it. It expedites the rebuild process - NYR 5 1st round picks the past two years. It really makes a difference. Maybe you trade Sutter for Spezza and buy Spezza out rather than let him into your locker room.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Administrator

There's a lot more at stake than getting a mediocre asset or two for Spezza's contract. The Canucks have to build a future winning team which includes elevating the young players on the roster in 2018-19. Spezza would bring them down while being content with collecting his paycheck. Better to bring in a real center who can help build the confidence of his wingers for future years.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Spezza is done. He's a slow-moving, 6'-3", 35 year old.
    He's ready for beer league.

Remember when the Flyers (& fans) thought signing Lecavalier at age 33 was a good move.
    Or when the LA Kings traded for him at age 35.
    And then he was out of the league before he turned 36.

Ah - the NHL was much slower then.

It's like that...
    Let Horvat & co have their ice time.
    So expect the trade to Montreal soon then...
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch