Thread: Looking for rules on a possible style of pool

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Looking for rules on a possible style of pool

I currently run a keeper pool where the top three managers generally stay the same year after year....as of now rosters are set keep 18 of your 28 man roster. I'm thinking of throwing it out to the managers about possibly setting the league up where each players has a value of 1, 2 or 3 years contracts before going into the free agent pool that way the guys that are hording the Kucherov, Stamkos, Crosby's, Mcdavids etc see their rosters change up and the bottom feeders have a chance at getting the elite players.

Has anybody heard of such a league and if so can you send me or direct me to some league rules?

Also been thinking of making the top managers possibly having to drop more players that the bottom half managers. I'm in the top 3 by the way :-)
    straight pts .5 for ppp keeper 10 teams keep 18
    F Marchand Marner P. Kane Nylander Tkachuk Ovechkin Kessel Toews Monahan Couturier Palmieri Kapanen Wilson Ritchie Kovalchuk Heponiemi
    D Carlson Josi Pietrangelo Mcavoy Ristolainen Fowler Gardiner Myers Lindell
    G Jarry Fleury Bobrovsky Varlamov

straight points keep 22
    F Crosby Giroux Kessel Wheeler Marchand Karlsson Toews Couturier Meier Laine Huberdeau Zucker Monahan Konecny Rust
    D Carlson Burns Hedman Schmidt Fowler Faulk Chychrun Gardiner
    G Hellebucyk Jarry Halak Dubnyk

Administrator

Default Re: Looking for rules on a possible style of pool

Salary cap leagues using either NHL salaries or auction style might help. It forces your top teams to make decisions on who to keep and who to dump. But at the end of the day you can't really control who has success in your league. It comes down to their mindset and work ethic. Some people find their way to the top of any league.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Ace

I was going to suggest a salary cap league as well. The contract length idea could work too, but it seems like it would take a lot more tracking and wouldn't really stop the most savvy GMs from managing to maintain the bulk of the elite players. In a salary cap situation, however, good luck hoarding the McDavids, Eichels, and Karlssons.

Dobber Sports Rookie

I am in a league similar to what you are discussing.
    Every year at the draft, every GM has 1 four year contract, 2 three year contracts, 2 two year contracts, and the rest of the players you draft go onto one year contracts. Every year, all the one year players go back into the draft for the following year.
    We also have 9 rounds of draft picks to trade with.
    It's a good league, but takes a decent bit of tracking on a google doc.

The Great One

Salary cap works, but you'd need to make sure GMs are into that kind of thing. Some find it a pain to keep running tabs of salaries.

Easy solution can also be a one-time (or full-time) re-set by lowering the amount of keepers. But as mentioned, if the problem is based on divergent skill levels and work ethic....no format can fix that.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    Easy solution can also be a one-time (or full-time) re-set by lowering the amount of keepers. But as mentioned, if the problem is based on divergent skill levels and work ethic....no format can fix that.
    As a top GM in my league, I would be done with the league if they pushed a one-time reset through. I am not disagreed with als_revenge that it is something that could work, but I would say that you need to tread very lightly if you're going in that direction.

Dobber Sports Pro

What if you made the top GM lose an extra 3 keepers, the 2nd place GM lose 2 extra, and the 3rd place GM lose an extra one? And maybe even add the rule that the following year that the top 3 GM's can't draft the "extras" dropped by the other top GM's. This could help spread things out, without going too hardcore.
    12 Team Keep 6: G/A:1 W/SO:2
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Schiefele
    LW - Draisaitl, Fiala, Meier
    RW - ​​Marner, Barzal, Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey, Dunn, Matheson
    G - Skinner
    B - Marchessault, Caufield, Saros

12 Team Keep 10 (& 5 Minors)
    : G/A/OTL:1 W:2 SO:3
    '24 Picks (16 Rounds) - 1,1,1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,5,5,6,6
    F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, Nylander, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel, Pavelski, Duchene, Nyqvist, Rossi
    D - Bouchard, Dobson, Matheson, Andersson, Letang
    G - Vasilevskiy, Markstrom
    B - Mateychuk
    M - Cooley, Michkov, Perreault, Hutson, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I am starting year 4 in a league I created to try to limit that, get people to trade and add value to the aging players. Kind of a contract. 8 teams, 30 man roster, keep 10 but Players can only be a keeper 2 times(you can have him 3 years if drafted). If you drop a player for the draft, then redraft him, you now have a new contract starting at zero. I keep a spreadsheet of the keepers. If you trade a guy, he goes to zero for the new owner. He comes back to you through trade or FA, the value goes back to what "you" had. As a little twist, I threw in a Franchise player. One player can be named at end of season as your Franchise player. Once that player goes through the draft, you are tied to that player for the year. You cannot drop or trade him. Is it working? Hard to say. There has been some turnaround. One guy did a makeover for this year. He looks strong. One thing for sure ... I will have a new team next year. LOL! Didn't work for me.

Dobber Sports Novice

I'm in a pool that I think works well for your situation. We have a tenure cap per team, and each player's tenure is however long that player has played for that same team. For example, if you drafted McDavid 3 years ago, he counts as 3 years towards your cap. Each team is forced to keep 10 players every year.

I think it works well because this offseason, because of the cap, the top team has to relinquish Hedman, Huberdeau, and Rakell to the draft, and the worst teams have first dibs in the draft to pick them up.
    Keep 10: G, A, PPP, SHP, Wins, Save %

4xC,LW,RW,D 2xG, 3xprospects, no bench

C: Eichel, Tavares, Pettersson, Larkin
    LW: Guentzel, Olofsson, Vrana, Keller
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Bjorkstrand, Zucker
    D: Letang, Werenski, Slavvin, Chychrun
    G: Bobrovsky, Rask
    Prospects: Samsonov, Blackwood, Kakko

Bold: Keepers, Italics: Not eligible to be kept