Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trader's Remorse?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Trader's Remorse?

I might be experiencing some trader's remorse....

In this pool, only newly drafted NHL players are drafted in our entry draft. Shooting from the hip yesterday, I flipped the 6th overall pick in this years draft for Henrik Borgstrom.

After having a better look at the 2018 crop, am starting to wonder if I might have been smarter to use that pick on a guy like Wahlstrom, Dobson, Hughes, Boqvist.

Initially, my thoughts were that Borgstrom is definitely high-end....and two years older than this crop, and therefore NHL-ready. FLA is deep in exciting young talent, and Borgstrom promises to be a part of something good.......but the more I read on Wahlstrom, the more I wonder if he's going to be the better option, based on his eventual plum spot on Barzal/Tavares(?) wing. Hard to ignore the pedigrees of the 3 d-men as well.

Note: I also have the 4th overall pick and intend to take one of Zadina or Tkachuk. I wouldn't expect either of these guys to be available at pick 6.

Should I have held onto the pick, or is Borgstrom a more attractive own?

(pool info in sig block)
    Hanson Bros Fantasy Hockey League
    12 Team Roto (25 player roster w/10 player farm), Goals, Assists, Pts, PPP, BS, Hits, PIM, GAA, Wins, SV%
    Yahoo Pool - 82 GP per spot. Full Keeper
    Reigning Champion - 2013-14, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2016-17 and 2017-18
    F- MacKinnon, Kucherov, Schwartz, Boeser, Pastrnak, E.Kane, Rackell, Dvorak, Lee, Borgstrom, Connor, Johnsson
    D- Karlsson, Ristolainen, Hedman, Edler, Zadorov,
    G- Murray, Kinkaid
    Bench- Greenway, Saros, Jarry, Montour
    Farm: Gaudette, Patrick, Makar, Tolvanen, Hague, Kostin, Shesterkin, Sparks, Stuart Skinner, Colton Point

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Trader's Remorse?

I wouldn't have remorse over that deal. Wouldn't call it the best wouldn't call it the worst. Since it's a pick for prospect only time will tell. Odds are whalstrom won't be there at 6. He'd be my 4 target over Tkachuck. I'd also lean zadina just a hair over Whalstrom. Tkachuk is a clear 5 in my mind. Borgstrom and Whalstrom for picks 4 and 6 isn't bad.
    5.5X Champs
    20 Team Dynasty (Unique Cap) H2H 23 Man roster - 20 Minor
    G,A,SOG,PIM,HIT,BLK,FO%,2G+A,D-pts,STG,GWG+SHP+ShootoutG
    W,SV%,GAA,SO Start 4 C,LW,RW/6D/2G Min 3 start/ 3Bench/6IR

C-Hischier,W.Nylander,
    Benn
    LW-Guentzel,B.Tkachuk
    ,Marchand,Gaudreau
    RW-A.Svechnikov,M.Tkachuk,Duclair,Mantha
    D-Provorov,McAvoy,Gudas,Doughty,Dunn,McDonagh
    G-Hart,Vanecek
    B-
    Brannstrom,Crouse
    Prospects
    Rossi,Berggren,Sillinger,Giv.Smith,Perreault,Kaspe r,Gauthier,Miroshnichenko,R.Johnson
    Perunovich,Salo,Capobianco,Mackey,Woo,Benning,A.Jo hansson,Thrun
    Skinner,Martin,Ingram,Fedotov
    ​Entry Draft 5 Rds [<60gp] '23 2,3,3,5
    Cap 77.82M/82.5M

Twitter @MatsonHockey

Dobber Sports Sage

Congrats- You did very well with the trade. I recently offered the 7th pick for Borgstrom and it was rejected. I didn't really expect it to get accepted.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

The Great One

I think the 6th pick for Borgstrom is good value.

And I'd second the post that I would not take Brady Tkachuk at 4th; I'd slot Svech, Zadina and Wahlstrom ahead of him. Ottawa is in really rough shape and there's no way I put that much weight on dirty stats at the 4 spot.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I actually don't mind that trade for you.. Too much hype gets put on the recently drafted!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks for the thoughts so far guys.

Yeah.....I might just be talked out of taking Tkachuk at 4. Now leaning toward Zadina, and Wahlstrom if Zadina is gone.

Hell.....doesnt Wahlstrom have a physical element?. If so, would he possibly be a consideration over Zadina, given the cats in this pool?
    12 Team Roto (25 player roster w/10 player farm), Goals, Assists, Pts, PPP, BS, Hits, PIM, GAA, Wins, SV%
    F- MacKinnon, Kucherov, Schwartz, Boeser, Pastrnak, E.Kane, Rackell, Dvorak, Lee, Borgstrom, Connor, Johnsson
    G- Murray, Kinkaid
    Farm: Gaudette, Patrick, Makar, Tolvanen, Hague, Kostin, Shesterkin, Sparks, Stuart Skinner, Colton Point

Dobber Sports Sage

Are you talking about the league in your signature? Tkachuk's stock goes up if it is a league with hits and PIMS. I would strongly consider him at 4.
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I'm in a similar format and Z still holds an edge aleibit a small one for me. His slide was due to teams going positional not a knock on his talent. It's 3a 3b situation for me. A couple GM's I highly respect would go Whalstrom over Z. I just can't do it and hence the 3b. Had zadina went to Ottawa, Z woulda been 3b. I like his outlook in Detroit. As for whalstroms physical element I wouldn't bank on it.
    5.5X Champs
    20 Team Dynasty (Unique Cap) H2H 23 Man roster - 20 Minor
    G,A,SOG,PIM,HIT,BLK,FO%,2G+A,D-pts,STG,GWG+SHP+ShootoutG
    W,SV%,GAA,SO Start 4 C,LW,RW/6D/2G Min 3 start/ 3Bench/6IR

C-Hischier,W.Nylander,
    Benn
    LW-Guentzel,B.Tkachuk
    ,Marchand,Gaudreau
    RW-A.Svechnikov,M.Tkachuk,Duclair,Mantha
    D-Provorov,McAvoy,Gudas,Doughty,Dunn,McDonagh
    G-Hart,Vanecek
    B-
    Brannstrom,Crouse
    Prospects
    Rossi,Berggren,Sillinger,Giv.Smith,Perreault,Kaspe r,Gauthier,Miroshnichenko,R.Johnson
    Perunovich,Salo,Capobianco,Mackey,Woo,Benning,A.Jo hansson,Thrun
    Skinner,Martin,Ingram,Fedotov
    ​Entry Draft 5 Rds [<60gp] '23 2,3,3,5
    Cap 77.82M/82.5M

Twitter @MatsonHockey

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    Are you talking about the league in your signature? Tkachuk's stock goes up if it is a league with hits and PIMS. I would strongly consider him at 4.
    I don't like Tkachuk's landing spot; I'm worried about his ability to put up points in that gong show in Ottawa. That franchise is such a mess. If Tkachuk had gone somewhere else, I might have given more consideration for him at 4 with hits and PIMs.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

The Hockey News has Borgstrom ranked pretty highly in their Future Watch edition (#10), and has him peniciled in as 2019/20 debut. My only worry is that Florida's top 6 is pretty stacked, but maybe they move someone out to make room for him.

I like Zadina at 4 if you can get him. I think he could be a monster pairing with Dylan Larkin feeding him. I agree with als_revenge on Tkachuk. That could be a rough time there.
    9 Team Dynasty Pool. 30 Players, 20 Active (12 F, 6 D, 2 G). 10 Reserves. 20 Roster moves allowed per season.
    Forwards Points Only, D Points, Hits, Blocks, Goalies Wins and Shutouts.
    Drop 10 players in the offseason for free agent draft before season.

Forwards: Barzal, Forsberg, Guentzl, Buchnevic, Barkov, W. Nylander, P. Kane, Crosby, Fiala, Zibanejad, Vrana, Zuccarello, Pavelski, Tarasenko, Kreider, B. Schenn
    Defence: Fox, Sergachev, Pietrangelo, Letang, Karlsson, Hamilton, Spurgeon, Sandin, Boqvist, Matheson

Goal: Hellebuyck, Campbell, Skinner, Murray

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by buddha71 View Post
    The Hockey News has Borgstrom ranked pretty highly in their Future Watch edition (#10), and has him peniciled in as 2019/20 debut. My only worry is that Florida's top 6 is pretty stacked, but maybe they move someone out to make room for him.

I like Zadina at 4 if you can get him. I think he could be a monster pairing with Dylan Larkin feeding him. I agree with als_revenge on Tkachuk. That could be a rough time there.
    I'm good with parking Borgstrom on the farm if hes not gonna be playing. Would be nice if one of him or whomever I snag at 4 is playing though.
    G- Murray, Kinkaid

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    I don't like Tkachuk's landing spot; I'm worried about his ability to put up points in that gong show in Ottawa. That franchise is such a mess. If Tkachuk had gone somewhere else, I might have given more consideration for him at 4 with hits and PIMs.
    I agree about wanting no part of Ottawa.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

It's really hard to have remorse with deals like this. It's not like you gave up pick #6 for #8 & #12, and somebody fell to #6 that you coveted., so you feel bad. You got a really good prospect, and you gave a pick that should get a really good prospect. Pretty much even, although there's a challenge trade element.

Don't have remorse about not getting something, becuase it may lead you to acquire it later, and have remorse over getting it. I have a buddy who has this issue with cars - that's reasonably common, and one with houses - that is not common at all. He missed out on he thought was a great house for him. It ended up back on the market a year later when the buyer had to move suddenly, and he got it for less than it went the first time. Now he wants to sel it, because the location isn't what he wants, looking to move elsewhere within his county.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Deity

I think it's a fair deal for both. Borgstrom looks like an excellent prospect in his own right.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    I agree about wanting no part of Ottawa.
    When everyone is running from the fire I tend to run into the fire albeit cheaply. Someone has to shoot, score, PIM as well as HB.
    16 Team H2H Dynasty
    G A Pt PIM SoG PPP H+B FOW DZS
    W Svs GAA Sv%

C Scheifele Tavares Dvorack Eller
    LW Domi Aho Ritchie Vrana
    RW Tarasenko J Williams Laine Sheary
    D Klefbom M Rielly Spurgeon Provorov Ellis Dahlin
    R White Kase Schmaltz Thomas Anston-Reese Lindell Theodore

G McEhlinney C Anderson
    R Kuemper

M Bjork Raddysh Kravtsov Ylonen Soderstorm Gilles Gustavsson Point Khakonen Delia Hill