Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Kovalchuk signs with L.A

The Magnificent One

Default Re: Kovalchuk signs with L.A

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    If he's willing to play fewer minutes in a sheltered role I think he still has something to offer. Showcase his strengths and hide his weaknesses.
    While what you say isn't false, I think he's dunzo in terms of the NHL not just because no one will take a flyer on him but also because I think he probably feels he doesn't need the headache and scrutiny.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I dunno how Jagr belongs in this, he's second all time in points and third all time in goals. I imagine he probably doesn't have much in the way of regrets in his life.
    He belongs because he left the NHL. These guys live to compete. He could be second all time in all three (G, A, PTS) if he hadn’t spent three very productive years in the KHL. He is one of the greatest to play the game but he could have really cemented that by being second only to Gretz.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Administrator

I'm sure Jagr enjoyed traveling the world and playing in different places. Being competitive doesn't mean it must take place in North America.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Titan

Jagr left to make money to pay off gambling debts wasn't that the rumoured reason? I don't think he regrets going to the KHL, might regret sucking at gambling though.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Veteran

I never heard the gambling debts rumour from what I recall. I thought it was to be closer to family (specifically his parents.)

One reason I came back to Europe, my parents sacrificed their life for me. The way I’m saying sacrifice, it’s a different way than parents do it here for their kids today. Some parents say, “Oh, we sacrifice our Sunday to wake up with our kid.” This is not sacrificing like in Czech.
    I decided to go back, but I started missing the NHL—the full arenas, the excitement, the playoffs. You go there, there are some arenas it’s only 3,000. It’s just like, “What the f–k is this, what am I doing here?” [Laughs.] I’m used to a full arena—20,000 people, another million watching on TV when you play finals. There, it’s like 3,000 watching you live and 500 on the Internet, so what am I doing here? So I said, “I’m gonna try to come back.”
    THE STORY OF A HOCKEY SUPERHERO

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Didn't mean to make this a Jagr thread, but I don't think 50 more NHL goals materially changes Jagr's legacy or status.

Dobber Sports Sage

I think it is becoming apparent the Kings' malaise was the key contributor in Kovy's disappearance. He had 14 points in 14 games to begin with the Kings. Then Stevens was fired and the towel was thrown in under Willie. Didnt fit in and was buried. Fast forward, Kovy seems to be playing at a more recoognizable level in MTL and he's not being sheltered. Lots of ATOI. Has personally made the difference in their last few wins. Small sample, but the reports of Mr. Kovalchuk's demise have been greatly exaggerated, thus far.

Administrator

If a coach tries to make a bunch of a rules around Kovalchuk and force him to "buy in" then don't bother. He needs to play to his strengths. He's weak in some areas and he's very good in other areas.

It's best to leave him alone and put him out there in situations to create offense.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    If a coach tries to make a bunch of a rules around Kovalchuk and force him to "buy in" then don't bother. He needs to play to his strengths. He's weak in some areas and he's very good in other areas.

It's best to leave him alone and put him out there in situations to create offense.
    Seems like thats what MTL is doing. I'm not a hockey expert but he has been noticable in the Habs games I have seen recently. That OT 3-on-3 GWG he scored that snapped the losing streak was a pretty exciting way to settle in with a new club.