Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Kovalchuk signs with L.A

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Kovalchuk signs with L.A

Kovy finally gives the Kings a legit winger for Kopitar or Carter depending on where they line him up. It definitely makes them better immediately. I do think LA got him because they offered 3 years. This is basically LA's window, unless Doughty leaves after 1, then the window closes quickly. 3 - 70pt seasons shouldn't shot anyone, even moving into age 38. He's not a heavy impact player so he should age well, given how well he still got around the larger rinks. I don't know if this is enough to make LA a contender in the West, but I'll take them as a top 3 finishing team this year with SJ & VGK
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
    Again, I think your comparisons are of. You are trying to compare the sad-sack Leafs, GM Bergeron and Jagr to Kovalchuk. We?ll see I guess.
    With his age, and the fact the KHL plays 26 less games than the NHL, I can't see how he can last playing as a LW1 and PP time. It would be short sighted to not have him play LW2/3 minutes to have him last.

Either he'll burn out and his 2nd half will be bad, or he'll play LW2 minutes and now the Kings don't have that first line LW they have apparently needed all these years according to what some have said in this thread.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Kovy finally gives the Kings a legit winger for Kopitar or Carter depending on where they line him up. It definitely makes them better immediately. I do think LA got him because they offered 3 years. This is basically LA's window, unless Doughty leaves after 1, then the window closes quickly. 3 - 70pt seasons shouldn't shot anyone, even moving into age 38. He's not a heavy impact player so he should age well, given how well he still got around the larger rinks. I don't know if this is enough to make LA a contender in the West, but I'll take them as a top 3 finishing team this year with SJ & VGK
    Crazy what 1yr does. Who would have said that part this time last yr.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Crazy what 1yr does. Who would have said that part this time last yr.
    right? but - you can't count them out... and you can't really count anyone else in that division in, at least not over them
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Glatt View Post
    Kovalchuk led the KHL in scoring this year and was MVP of the Olympics. This is not a player in decline.
    Well yea, but that's equivalent to winning MVP of your beer league cause you're a former D1 player skating with first timers.

Kovy is great add for LA-- fills a big hole no doubt. But if you're expecting more than 25-30 goals and 25-30 assists you're going to be disappointed.

I think it's slightly too much money and a year too long but we knew that he'd be overpaid regardless of where. Pretty good signing IMO.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    With his age, and the fact the KHL plays 26 less games than the NHL, I can't see how he can last playing as a LW1 and PP time. It would be short sighted to not have him play LW2/3 minutes to have him last.

Either he'll burn out and his 2nd half will be bad, or he'll play LW2 minutes and now the Kings don't have that first line LW they have apparently needed all these years according to what some have said in this thread.
    Playing Kovy on the 2nd line with Carter and Toffoli while leave Iaffalo on the 1st would still go a heck of a long way towards making a huge improvement to LAs scoring potential.

I wonder how much ice time he was getting per game in the KHL, it was probably up in the 20s like when he was last playing in the NHL. Even knocking him down to 18 per night would go a long way to reducing wear and tear over the season while still providing enough minutes to be plenty productive.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

LA will miss the playoffs in 2019!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    LA will miss the playoffs in 2019!!
    We made the playoffs even though Jeff Carter missed 80 percent of the season. And now we have added Kovy
    Blake might not be done. So I disagree.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by hockeymanG23 View Post
    Playing Kovy on the 2nd line with Carter and Toffoli while leave Iaffalo on the 1st would still go a heck of a long way towards making a huge improvement to LAs scoring potential.

I wonder how much ice time he was getting per game in the KHL, it was probably up in the 20s like when he was last playing in the NHL. Even knocking him down to 18 per night would go a long way to reducing wear and tear over the season while still providing enough minutes to be plenty productive.
    People were talking like he's fixing all of LAK scoring issues from the last few yrs. He's not. I think he's a alright 2nd line, or a good 3rd line scoring winger. If they manage him right, he's going to do well, but in my eyes the way to play him is not a 6millx3yrs guy.

Personally if he gets 18min I think that's even too much. I'm thinking 16.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

BUMP of the day.
    A reminder to us all to never be the lone-wolf, multiple times over, in same thread.
    (When everybody else is counter... one post is probably enough. ps. I love you Doug!!!)

-36 in 81gp w/LA.
    That's the Kovy I know and remember from Atlanta.
    13 NHL seasons... one PLUS season.

Dobber Sports Sage

Yes, it was disappointing. It looked like he was going into a good situation playing with Kopitar but alas, it was not to be. Now that he is gone it will be interesting to hear the details that emerge concerning why he failed.

Occasionally you miss one. I was counter to everyone on guys like Yakupov and Lehner but I ended up being right. Oh well.

Administrator

If he's willing to play fewer minutes in a sheltered role I think he still has something to offer. Showcase his strengths and hide his weaknesses.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    If he's willing to play fewer minutes in a sheltered role I think he still has something to offer. Showcase his strengths and hide his weaknesses.
    Like Iginla at the end of his career. I wonder if guys like Kovalchuk and Jagr who chose playing in Russia over staying and cementing their legacy in the best league in the world regret their decisions.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Deity

https://twitter.com/SWhyno/status/1206648013789245446

Here's what
    @CraigJButton
    said the DAY the Kings signed Ilya Kovalchuk.
    EL7f2cSWkB8Zl73.png
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Like Iginla at the end of his career. I wonder if guys like Kovalchuk and Jagr who chose playing in Russia over staying and cementing their legacy in the best league in the world regret their decisions.
    I dunno how Jagr belongs in this, he's second all time in points and third all time in goals. I imagine he probably doesn't have much in the way of regrets in his life.