Thread: RIP Vinnie Paul...

Dobber Sports Star

Default RIP Vinnie Paul...

So sad. I remember when Dime passed away. Pantera will always be one of my favourite bands, despite the bands inner turmoil. I was lucky enough to see them live a couple of times. One of the greatest live bands I have ever seen. Phil was always gooned either drunk or stoned or both, yet always killed the vocals.

And the music world grows a little darker. RIP big man, and give your brother a hug.

Rylant

Big Daddy

Default Re: RIP Vinnie Paul...

Goddamn, how did I miss this!?! Pantera was my favourite band when I was a kid. They were the first band I really fell in love with, I've never heard anything like them when I first heard Vulgar Display of Power. Very sad news. I haven't been able to find any details on his death online. I really hope this isn't another suicide or drug overdose. Check back to this page for updates: http://loudwire.com/pantera-vinnie-paul-dead/
    PAT QUINN MEMORIAL CUP
    Clouds of Blood
    12 Team Head-to-Head
    G-A-PPP-SOG-FW-HIT-BLK / W-GAA-SV%-SV
    24 Man Roster
    Keep: 6 Forwards, 4 Defencemen, 1 Goaltender & 1 Prospect
    Keepers:
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Aho
    LW - Panarin
    RW - Pastrnak
    D - Hedman, Hamilton, Doughty, Burns
    G - Markström
    P - Cayden Primeau

Dobber Sports Wizard

I just listened through Cowboys from Hell and Vulgar Display of Power on my way back home from the summer cottage. I don't see either of those albums ever being removed from my music collection, no matter how much new music is released.

Obviously his brother Darrell was the more creative one and the bigger reason that made Pantera so damn good but Vinnie Paul was one of my favorite drummers in the world. I kept waiting for him to release something great again but everything he did after Darrell died was just OK, not at the level fans of Pantera were expecting. It's sad his career was cut short like this, I think he still could have released something great.

If I was given a chance to go back in time, I would go see Pantera playing a live show. I've seen lots of great bands - Metallica, Motorhead, Iron Maiden, Guns N' Roses, AC/DC, Slayer, Megadeth etc. - but Pantera is that one band I never got to see.

Dobber Sports Veteran

That time Vinnie Paul dented the Stanley Cup

It was Guy Carbonneau but Vinnie probably definitely poured whisky down his throat. A really great quote

The Cup keeper, the guy you see on the commercial, he says, 'You cannot do that - that's the Stanley Cup!' and we're like, 'We just ****ing did it dude!' It was pretty awesome man."
    Also, from Mike Modano

"We spent a lot of time at Vinnie Paul?s house, he was one of the members of Pantera, for about four days straight. That took a little bit of wind out of our sails for a bit. We showed up about an hour late for our parade so it didn?t go over too well with the city and the police that were waiting for us."

Dobber Sports Padawan

King of the triplet double-bass. Cowboys From Hell is still one of the greatest and most original metal albums ever. I'm not the biggest Pantera fan, but they had their moments and Vin was an excellent drummer. RIP.

10th year Keeper League, Fantrax

14 teams, H2H, keep 10, daily starts
    G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PIM (0.1), PPP (1), FOW (0.1), FOL (-0.1), BLK (0.5), HAT (3), W (5), SO (3), SV (0.1), GA (-0.5)

C (3) - Schmaltz (LW, RW), Mercer (RW), Norris (IR), Domi (LW), T. Johnson (RW), Nosek (LW)
    LW (3) - Keller (RW), Hagel, McCann (C), Zacha (LW), Kubalik (RW), N. Foligno (IR)
    RW (3) - Fiala (LW), Vilardi (C), Ehlers (LW), Kakko
    D (4) - Theodore, Orlov, Grzelcyk, T. van Riemsdyk, Clifton, Skjei, Weegar
    Util (1)
    G (1) - Montembault, Allen, Halak

Big Daddy

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    That time Vinnie Paul dented the Stanley Cup

It was Guy Carbonneau but Vinnie probably definitely poured whisky down his throat. A really great quote

Also, from Mike Modano
    Don't forget about Pantera's Dallas Stars theme song!

PAT QUINN MEMORIAL CUP
    Clouds of Blood
    12 Team Head-to-Head
    G-A-PPP-SOG-FW-HIT-BLK / W-GAA-SV%-SV
    24 Man Roster
    Keep: 6 Forwards, 4 Defencemen, 1 Goaltender & 1 Prospect
    Keepers:
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Aho
    LW - Panarin
    RW - Pastrnak
    D - Hedman, Hamilton, Doughty, Burns
    G - Markström