Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Draft question

Dobber Sports Rookie

Question Draft question

I've got the 2nd overall pick in the draft and I'm wondering who you guys would consider is the 2nd best player behind McDavid.
    I would say MacKinnon with these categories
    Thoughts?
    Also all prospects are available as well

Assists
    Goals
    Penalty Minutes
    Plus/Minus
    Shots on Goal
    Power Play Points
    Hits + Blocks
    Losses
    Saves
    Wins
    Goals Against Average

All 1

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Draft question

As much as I don't like saying it... I think you have to go with Crosby 2nd overall behind McDavid. Even if you add him, you can trade him down for the player you really want and get an upgrade somewhere else.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Auston Matthews for me, in new dynasty/keeper league.

Leafs are going to be really, really good - Matthews, I think, could start doing 100pts yearly starting next year.
    I like Colorado & MacKinnon, but they don't have enough depth and teams are really going to start hard-matching MacK going forward.
    Teams will be less able to do that against a team with a solid line 2, like TOR.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Auston Matthews for me, in new dynasty/keeper league.

Leafs are going to be really, really good - Matthews, I think, could start doing 100pts yearly starting next year.
    I like Colorado & MacKinnon, but they don't have enough depth and teams are really going to start hard-matching MacK going forward.
    Teams will be less able to do that against a team with a solid line 2, like TOR.
    Yes, in a dynasty league I would not go to Crosby. I read that prospects are available, so I guess that would lead it to meant that it is a dynasty. Sorry.

With that in mind I would be looking at Matthews or Laine.

Dobber Sports Veteran

With no FoW i'd say wingers will be at a premium, so maybe Kucherov, Gaudreau or Marchand.

But Crosby is an easy 2nd pick.
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Padawan

As long as Babcock is coaching Matthews is not even going to sniff 100pts, and this is coming from a Leafs fan. Usage is everything and Babs spreads out the offense and ice time too much for any Leaf to see 90pts let alone 100. It would not be surprising at all to see each of the big three on separate lines this coming season and Matthews playing something like 18mins a game with guys like Hyman and Kapanen. Not a recipe for 100pts no matter who you are.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenInferno View Post
    As long as Babcock is coaching Matthews is not even going to sniff 100pts, and this is coming from a Leafs fan. Usage is everything and Babs spreads out the offense and ice time too much for any Leaf to see 90pts let alone 100. It would not be surprising at all to see each of the big three on separate lines this coming season and Matthews playing something like 18mins a game with guys like Hyman and Kapanen. Not a recipe for 100pts no matter who you are.
    Hmm... yes and no. He does spread out the ice time, but I think part of this has to do with the age of this team. He's hesitant to lean on AM disproportionately at 19/20 years old, allowing him to grow into that role.

It's like a stud 21 year old pitcher in baseball. They impose inning limits - per game - per season to protect the arm long term. AM's minutes will increase, will they ever reach Crosby or Barkov levels? probably not, but he should reasonably be getting 18-19:30 per game within the next couple of years. I'm sure the Leafs and their stat dept. have numbers that show when most players are at optimal production levels based on ATOI & when production begins to decrease. Probably broken down by age, years in NHL and position.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Master

fresh league , fresh draft I'd probably build around Matthews if I had 2nd ov.

Dobber Sports Pro

Kucherov. Only 25, prime go-to guy on an offensive powerhouse. Perpetual 30+ PPP, 250+ shots and 100 points every year.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Its a tough call.
    Eichel, Matthews, Karlsson or Laine

Dobber Sports Rookie

Laine or Mathews seems to be the best choices but one underdog to me is Eichel with dahlin coming hes only gonna get better. If they trade oreilly I actually think he will thrive in a bigger role. Stay young though marchand and kucherov 28 and 25 to me is a little old to start a dynasty but kucherov will perform no doubt I would just think of if I was a real GM in the sens that you would want the most years of performance is all. but up to you. Good luck hope it works out for ya. Cheers!
    Strictly points League (Goalies 2 for win extra one for shutout) (22 Keepers)
    Keeper league
    Roster:
    Frowards: Nathan MacKinnon, Aleksander Barkov, Vladimir Tarasenko, Brayden Point, Viktor Arvidsson, Matt Duchene, Mike Hoffman, Nico Hischier, Anthony Mantha, Alex Killorn, Jonathan Drouin, Bo Horvat, Chris Kreider, Richard Panik ,

Charles Hudon

Goalies : Brian Elliott,Cory Schneider, Robin Lehner, Malcolm Subban

Defense : Ryan Ellis, Jaccob Slavin, Dion Phaneuf, Damon Severson, Jan Rutta, Derek Forbort, Shea Theodore, Arron Ekblad, Shayne Gothisbere

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

There's so many similar option... can you already trade picks? It would be interesting to move from 2nd to 5th+late round pick and grab who's still avalaible between Mack, Kuch,Eichel and Matthews
    League 1: 10 teams Points only (Best 9F, 4D and 1G count for the season and best 8 for the playoff). Drop 4 players before a 4 round draft before season. Mini draft during all star week-end (drop one pick one available).

F: MacKinnon, Pettersson, Eichel, Barkov, Stone, Ehlers, Necas, Huberdeau, Zacha, Boldy, , Lafreniere, Cozens, Vilardi
    D: Dobson, Ekblad, DeAngelo, Seider, Bouchard, Matheson, Clarke
    G: Vasilievski, Sorokin

League 2: 14 teams, same setting.

F: Rantanen, Kyrou, Barkov, Raymond, Perfetti, Jarvis, Lundell, Lafreniere, Byfield, Holtz, Norris, Reichel, Rossi
    D: Dahlin, McAvoy, Addison, Krug, Lundkvist, Clarke
    G: Sorokin, Demko

Dobber Sports Monster

MacKinnon for me. 22 years old and just finished the season with 97 points in 74 games. 39 goals and shoots 250+ times a year.

Dobber Sports Pro

I'm stunned that there is so little love for Kucherov. For me it's either him or MacKinnon. Is it a heavy Leafs bias accounting for all the Matthews votes?

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Shift Disturber View Post
    I'm stunned that there is so little love for Kucherov. For me it's either him or MacKinnon. Is it a heavy Leafs bias accounting for all the Matthews votes?
    I came here expecting to agree with a lot more people. With the #2 pick in a new league, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be building around a player rolling right through the middle of his prime, who's on a fantastic team. Kucherov all day long for me, and honestly I'd be just as happy with Crosby at number 3. With such an early pick, I just can't justify effectively starting in a rebuild.