Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: CFL Fan Levelled by Lions Player

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: CFL Fan Levelled by Lions Player

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    I thought he was banned for a full season.
    But he wasn't charged, and didn't get put in the stadium jail at all. He was outside the stadium within like 30minutes of the streaking incident.

He could have been charged, fined, or even a night in jail if they wanted to.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Administrator

Security is so inept here. If they were at least somewhat doing their jobs the players wouldn't be in a position to have to make a decision. I believe hitting the guy with a helmet like that is excessive but it's about what I expect if football players in uniform have to play the role of arena security.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    But he wasn't charged, and didn't get put in the stadium jail at all. He was outside the stadium within like 30minutes of the streaking incident.

Heck, from what I understand streaking at the SkyDome gets you tossed in the drunk tank, banned from all MLB events for life, and a pretty hefty fine. If he got off without any of that, he's damn lucky. The ridiculousness of suing someone because you got hurt while breaking the law (which is what happened regardless of how he got hurt) is too much for me. He was just as likely (if not more) to get tackled and manhandled by security. He made a choice, it was a stupid one, he shouldn't be in a position to benefit from it.

And no, I don't think long term injuries to this idiot are justified, but it's not like he's on the hook monetarily for his healthcare. In fact, other BC residents are now. If he was just looking to have his care paid for, that would be fine with me. But since that's already covered by the government, clearly all he's after is money for money's sake, after he was the one who made the terrible decision.

If it comes down to the argument of "the player shouldn't have touched him," then press criminal charges. If this idiot feels that he needs Justice for being hit, then that's the reasonable solution in my mind, not trying to get ludicrous sums of money.

Dobber Sports All-Star

did you see the security that did make it on the field? They were gassed just getting halfway from sideline to sideline.
    lol No kidding. I think they should encourage streaking if not just to get the security staff some exercise.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ingolo View Post
    banned from all MLB events for life
    I have often wondered how this would be monitored. Not that I am contemplating streaking at the any major sporting event.

If someone banned for life really wanted to go to an MLB game... wouldn't they just get someone to buy a ticket for them.. and then they would get it? Security guards are not going to be able to pick out a banned for life guy. And if you were really concerned... wear a bit of a disguise or an all out costume.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    I have often wondered how this would be monitored. Not that I am contemplating streaking at the any major sporting event.

If someone banned for life really wanted to go to an MLB game... wouldn't they just get someone to buy a ticket for them.. and then they would get it? Security guards are not going to be able to pick out a banned for life guy. And if you were really concerned... wear a bit of a disguise or an all out costume.
    Yeah I think it's more of a symbolic thing. No way they could possibly monitor it at all of the gates at all of the parks. More of a PR move, but also like probation: if you're already banned and you get caught doing something again, imagine how hard they'd throw the book at you.

- - - Updated - - -

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ingolo View Post
    Yeah I think it's more of a symbolic thing. No way they could possibly monitor it at all of the gates at all of the parks. More of a PR move, but also like probation: if you're already banned and you get caught doing something again, imagine how hard they'd throw the book at you.
    Oh yeah, they definitely would that's for sure. I just find it hard to believe that they would ever catch one doing it, unless you made an idiot of yourself again, then they might.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Oh yeah, they definitely would that's for sure. I just find it hard to believe that they would ever catch one doing it, unless you made an idiot of yourself again, then they might.
    Honestly, there's like an outside chance that a fan who does something REALLY dumb might get recognized in the future; and I mean extra dumb, like a guy who leans out to catch a foul ball during the World Series. Other than something that would get airtime on Misplays of the Month or whatever though, you're definitely right that it'd be next to impossible to ever get caught.

Dobber Sports Master

As far as the lawsuit goes, all things like this get judged in the "voluntarily accepted level of risk and harm"... While attending a sporting event, you can expect to be hit by errand balls or bats, have players jump into the stands or fall into you in the course of a play, etc." and you can't sue for that. Those disclaimers are regularly printed on tickets and posted in arenas, stadiums etc. This case goes further and has to deal with a fan who drunkenly and yes, intentionally, puts himself in a restricted area on the field of play. Sure, it's a stoppage of play, but everything that happens on the field in a sport is governed by the rules of that sport. If buddy puts himself in a place where he is trespassing, he is arguably putting himself in a place where he has no right to be and where he is outside of the protection of the stands (or netting, or boards/glass etc.). That is his own choice and exposes him to significant risks, one of which is getting hit by a player.

Now, his lawyer will argue (and the tape supports) that the player did not have to hit him. He could have let security handle it. Yes, security was inept, but it's not the player's job to interfere. There will be some precedent argued with tape evidence of other football players clocking fans who run onto the field, assisting security. I bet no lawsuit ever came from those.. But this one, you can see the player takes a few moments to decide to hit him, lines him up and clocks him. It will be argued that this idiot fan could have expected to get taken down by security, but not necessarily to have gotten hit like this, by this player. He could argue he didn't consent to that, in getting on the field during a stoppage...

As a sports fan and human being, I will say he was absolutely justified in smacking this chump. Idiots like this were eaten by dinosaurs in acts stupidity that led to natural selection. The analogy almost fits perfectly here. What will likely win the day is that dude knew the rules and decided to break them. Dude got drunk (which you're not allowed to be at these events, quote unquote, or security can toss you out) and put himself in a place that is outside the confines of the safety provided for by fans. It's like jumping off the railings of stands for a foul ball or a free tennis ball. You accept the consequences that come with it. In this case, he should likely be made to accept the consequences of getting on a field where a contact sport is being played and where he doesn't belong.

I am not so sure this one doesn't get settled though, for the tape evidence of the player clearly lining the guy up and making a conscious choice to take the matter in his own hands and work him.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Jedi

it's not worth the police to charge him - he kept his underwear on, so avoided any indecent exposure charges. Police have bigger fish to fry than doing paperwork on someone for being a stupid dumbass. But the Lions can ban him from BC Place regardless.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Administrator

If you want precedence look no further than pro wrestling. It probably happens at least once per event.

My only issue here is it's not a good idea to encourage elite-level athletes who are extremely well equipped to take liberties on regular people whenever the "opportunity" presents itself. There has to be a better way to deal with this than taking a shot with a football helmet. I think there are lessons here for all parties involved.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    If you want precedence look no further than pro wrestling. It probably happens at least once per event.

My only issue here is it's not a good idea to encourage elite-level athletes who are extremely well equipped to take liberties on regular people whenever the "opportunity" presents itself. There has to be a better way to deal with this than taking a shot with a football helmet. I think there are lessons here for all parties involved.
    Which is exactly why I think this one will settle, because it was so obvious the player could avoid it but didn't and then had a good laugh with his teammates afterwards.

If you ask me, I love this deterrent. Stay in your seats you morons. This is probably the once place where I don't mind the law of the jungle, since the rule of law seems to not deter anything (fines, ejections, bans, public shaming etc.). There's always one idiot despite so many clear rules and consequences. Some people only get "it" when the use of force is involved. This is one of those instances. I say clock the bastards, like happened here.
    Blades of Steel

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Titan

it's not worth the police to charge him - he kept his underwear on, so avoided any indecent exposure charges. Police have bigger fish to fry than doing paperwork on someone for being a stupid dumbass. But the Lions can ban him from BC Place regardless.
    He can be charged though, and other stuff could have happened. I was outlining how lucky he got off. He wasn't even held in the stadium jail, he got off so lucky.

But lets be honest, we all love seeing players deck fans on the field. And this one was a nice pop.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Master

But lets be honest, we all love seeing players deck fans on the field. And this one was a nice pop.
    A. Men.

What a goof. Got the minimum of what he deserved.
    Blades of Steel

Saros, Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Ninja

He can be charged though, and other stuff could have happened. I was outlining how lucky he got off. He wasn't even held in the stadium jail, he got off so lucky.
    I suspect that the streaker could still be charged. That might not help his case. I hope this doesn't get settled and gets thrown out, but this is Canada, so even money on settling and if it goes to court, the idiot will win. No one is allowed to be hurt while breaking the law, it's Canada.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket