Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 25 of 25

Thread: Calgary make a move at the draft?

  1. #16
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Rep Power
    40

    Dobber Sports Immortal

    Default Re: Calgary make a move at the draft?

    Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    Why do I get the feeling that they will trade Dougie Hamilton and Sam Bennett to Ottawa for Erik Karlsson?
    Calgary wants draft picks so any deal around Dmen will include those, one has to assume.


    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

    25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

    Stamkos, Tavares, JaBenn, Couture, Wheeler, Lee, Turris, Letang, Kucherov, Byfuglien, Burns, Zuccarello, Hoffman, JSchwartz, KPalmieri, KConnor, Athanasiou, Bjorkstrand, Point, KHayes, Konecny, Vrana, NSchmaltz

    G- Vasilevskiy, Bobrovsky


    "Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

  2. #17
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Monster

    Default Re: Calgary make a move at the draft?

    Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Calgary wants draft picks so any deal around Dmen will include those, one has to assume.
    I think that's a pretty overblown theory. They'd like draft picks, but improving the team for next season is more important than a second round pick.

  3. #18
    agentzero's Avatar
    agentzero is online now
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    6,165
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Wizard

    Default Re: Calgary make a move at the draft?

    Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Calgary wants draft picks so any deal around Dmen will include those, one has to assume.
    Fair, but I just get the feeling like if they want to move a player like Hamilton, that EK has to be on their radar... Add in a stalling prospect like Bennett...and a desperate Ottawa.... Lots to like there.
    Blades of Steel
    10 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

    Crosby, Backstrom, Wheeler, Bergeron, Dadonov, Voracek, Connor, DeBrincat, Hoffman, Pastrnak
    Karlsson, Yandle, Pulock, Theodore, Montour
    Hellebuyck, Talbot
    Oshie, Zuccarello, Mantha, Toffoli, Nyqvist, Fabbri, E.Lindholm, S.Girard, Saros, C.Hutton

  4. #19
    Location
    Comox, BC
    Rep Power
    4

    Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

    Default Re: Calgary make a move at the draft?

    Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I think that's a pretty overblown theory. They'd like draft picks, but improving the team for next season is more important than a second round pick.
    Conroy seemed more interested in a hockey trade than trading for picks so you're assessment seems accurate.
    12 team lifetime pool. 18 skaters - No positional requirements / 3 goalies (2 count for points)
    Taxi Squad - players have 5 year protection then must be called up or dropped.
    Goals and Assists count for points. Goalies get 1.5 for a win / 4.5 pts for a SO and points for G/A.

    Skaters:
    Kapanen, Bjork, Athanasiou, A. Johnsson, Cirelli, Sheary, Foegele, Compher, Bratt, Ho Sang, Kaprizov, Shattenkirk, Jankowski, Jokiharju, Terry, Bertuzzi, Zykov, Hinostroza


    Goalies:
    Varlamov, Demko, Husso

    Taxi:
    Borgstrom, Sprong, Kyrou, Liljegren, Kravtsov, Bokk


    - I'm no expert but I try really hard

  5. #20
    Location
    Calgary
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Genius

    Default Re: Calgary make a move at the draft?

    The Flames are like Ottawa a couple years ago and Toronto a few years before that...

    i.e. Thinking you are better than you actually are is dangerous and you convince yourself to make bad short-term decisions that will take years to overcome.
    Only they don't seem "bad" at the time.
    So you trade for guys like Smith and Hamonic, and sign character like Brouwer.

    I think the Flames need to accept reality (they are a non-playoff team, after all) and think about contending in 6 to 8 years from now.
    That means, as always, build patiently through the draft.
    A guy like Gaudreau, for example, is a quality player, but he's not a core piece - he's a complimentary one.
    That was why Kessel going to Pittsburgh was such a shrewd move by the Pens... they knew he was an excellent player who was miscast in Toronto.

  6. #21
    roenick27's Avatar
    roenick27 is online now
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,335
    Location
    NY
    Rep Power
    24

    Dobber Sports Ace

    Default Re: Calgary make a move at the draft?

    Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    The Flames are like Ottawa a couple years ago and Toronto a few years before that...

    i.e. Thinking you are better than you actually are is dangerous and you convince yourself to make bad short-term decisions that will take years to overcome.
    Only they don't seem "bad" at the time.
    So you trade for guys like Smith and Hamonic, and sign character like Brouwer.

    I think the Flames need to accept reality (they are a non-playoff team, after all) and think about contending in 6 to 8 years from now.
    That means, as always, build patiently through the draft.
    A guy like Gaudreau, for example, is a quality player, but he's not a core piece - he's a complimentary one.
    That was why Kessel going to Pittsburgh was such a shrewd move by the Pens... they knew he was an excellent player who was miscast in Toronto.
    How is gaudreau not a core piece though? I'm not saying he can't be dealt or a perfect return, but I'd think he has to be part of the flames core, and probably would be to any NHL team, no?

  7. #22
    bluck's Avatar
    bluck is online now
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    729
    Rep Power
    11

    Dobber Sports Apprentice

    Default Re: Calgary make a move at the draft?

    Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    The Flames are like Ottawa a couple years ago and Toronto a few years before that...

    i.e. Thinking you are better than you actually are is dangerous and you convince yourself to make bad short-term decisions that will take years to overcome.
    Only they don't seem "bad" at the time.
    So you trade for guys like Smith and Hamonic, and sign character like Brouwer.

    I think the Flames need to accept reality (they are a non-playoff team, after all) and think about contending in 6 to 8 years from now.
    That means, as always, build patiently through the draft.
    A guy like Gaudreau, for example, is a quality player, but he's not a core piece - he's a complimentary one.
    That was why Kessel going to Pittsburgh was such a shrewd move by the Pens... they knew he was an excellent player who was miscast in Toronto.
    LOL just terrible analysis all around

  8. #23
    Location
    Ottawa
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Master

    Default Re: Calgary make a move at the draft?

    Quote Originally Posted by bluck View Post
    LOL just terrible analysis all around
    And what is your analysis?

  9. #24
    Location
    Calgary
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Genius

    Default Re: Calgary make a move at the draft?

    Quote Originally Posted by bluck View Post
    LOL just terrible analysis all around
    Feel free to offer your own analysis, but my "terrible" opinion is kind of supported by the evidence in this case, no? They did miss the playoffs, after all.

    I don't know what else to say... I watch almost all of the Flames games (they are my girl's #1 team and my #2 team)... and that's how I see it.
    Gaudreau is a very talented player, for sure. But he's also a turnover machine who cheats on offence and constantly does fly bys in his own zone... if and when he backchecks.
    I don't believe he is a true core piece for any contending team, the same way I don't believe Kessel is a true core piece. He won his cups being a supportive player, not a primary one.

  10. #25
    roenick27's Avatar
    roenick27 is online now
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,335
    Location
    NY
    Rep Power
    24

    Dobber Sports Ace

    Default Re: Calgary make a move at the draft?

    Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    Feel free to offer your own analysis, but my "terrible" opinion is kind of supported by the evidence in this case, no? They did miss the playoffs, after all.

    I don't know what else to say... I watch almost all of the Flames games (they are my girl's #1 team and my #2 team)... and that's how I see it.
    Gaudreau is a very talented player, for sure. But he's also a turnover machine who cheats on offence and constantly does fly bys in his own zone... if and when he backchecks.
    I don't believe he is a true core piece for any contending team, the same way I don't believe Kessel is a true core piece. He won his cups being a supportive player, not a primary one.
    Eye,

    I see your point about Johnny if you wouldn't consider Kessel a core piece. I just disagree with you I guess on how to define a core piece. But youre not wrong about Johnny being all offense
    Last edited by roenick27; June 25, 2018 at 4:41 PM. Reason: Posted like 5 times

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •