Thread: Marian Hossa - fantasy related not life related

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Marian Hossa - fantasy related not life related

I would just like to take the time to thank Mr. Hossa for all his contributions to my salary cap team throughout the years. Drafted as an original member of my team in 2010, he contributed to the championship in that first year. His contract at the time was a deal for a guy who once got a 100 points. He never reached those heights on my team but put up a respectable 60ish fan points. He was a semi-contributing member of back to back championships in 2015 and 2016. 2015 he was great, but declined in 2016.

It was about this time that I truly started to feel the ramifications of his long, long, long contract. He was unmovable in every single attempt I made. No GM would touch that contract with a 100ft pole. Even a trade offer of Hellebuyck and Hossa for a late pick was not enough to sway a GM 2 years ago (THANK GOD). He spent a year or two buried in the minors as a way to save half of his cap hit and free up a roster spot. Then a prayer was answered last year. A skin disorder you say? Yes that actually happened and he was placed on LTIR to my infinite relief.

Fast forward to the news not too long ago and it sounds like his playing days are done. He will remain on LTIR, I will be free of his horrible contract and I can think back to how I signed him those years ago and got lucky as shit.

Now the only question I have is this: when is Luongo going to have some sort of permanent health problem or retire? Yes I have his contract too. 1 for 2 isn't so bad.

Thanks Marian!
    Salary Cap League - 13 Teams
    Cap: 83.5 Million
    Roster: 2 LW, 2 RW, 2 C, 2 Wing, 1 Forward, 4 D, 1 G, 5 Bench, 7 Farm
    Cats: PTS 1, PIMS 0.1, Blocked Shots 0.1, hits 0.1; Wins, Goals Against(-), SO, Saves

C: Crosby, Pavelski
    F: Mercer
    LW: Guentzel, Kaprizov
    RW: Kucherov, Marchessault
    W: E. Kane, Perron
    D: Q Hughes, Bouchard, Addison, Sandin
    G: Shesterkin
    Bench: Raanta, Rossi, Guhle, Garland

Farm: Soderstrom

Free Agents: Maccelli, Newhook, Gudas, Carrier, Kyrou, Gustafsson

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Re: RIP Marian Hossa

Bad taste in thread title. What are you trying to accomplish by doing that?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: RIP Marian Hossa - fantasy related not life related

Well I am fairly sure that everyone knows that Hossa is in fact alive and presumably enjoying his life... It's not like I posted this on twitter to try and get people to think the guy is dead. But in terms of his fantasy hockey playing days he is done so I am giving him a metaphorical eulogy to thank him for his contributions through the years. Didn't think it was such a sensitive subject. This is fantasy hockey we are talking about here, isn't it supposed to be fun?
    Cats: PTS 1, PIMS 0.1, Blocked Shots 0.1, hits 0.1; Wins, Goals Against(-), SO, Saves

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: RIP Marian Hossa

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    Bad taste in thread title. What are you trying to accomplish by doing that?
    That is what I was gonna say.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by horseflyhab View Post
    Well I am fairly sure that everyone knows that Hossa is in fact alive and presumably enjoying his life... It's not like I posted this on twitter to try and get people to think the guy is dead. But in terms of his fantasy hockey playing days he is done so I am giving him a metaphorical eulogy to thank him for his contributions through the years. Didn't think it was such a sensitive subject. This is fantasy hockey we are talking about here, isn't it supposed to be fun?
    I check in on here periodically and sudden events can result in death. How the heck am I suppose to know he's alive? It's not like I'm hanging out with him. I go here for all my hockey information. As for the bolded statement, yes it is suppose to be fun but I don't find making posts about players who are alive and starting the thread with "RIP" as funny ... it might just be me but to each his own.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thank you to whoever changed my title, I really didn't think people would actually think that the guy is dead, nor think it was in such bad taste. Glad we can all not believe that I am giving you a scoop on the news of the day, but instead am just rattling on about a fantasy hockey team.

I...am your father.

News gets announced in here pretty quickly, including deaths, so it is pretty startling, though I get the context you meant.

I remember really wanted Hossa on my team back when he was 18. Took me a year to get him, and then I hung onto him for close to a decade!
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Administrator

Default Re: Marian Hossa - fantasy related not life related

Thread title changed. Please choose words appropriately in the future.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

The Great One

A big thank you to Mr. Hossa from me as well. It was a sad day for me when he was traded away by Ottawa. Hoping he is enjoying life to the fullest.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Thread title changed. Please choose words appropriately in the future.
    I understand how some people did not think the old title was appropriate and I am being asked nicely to choose appropriate words in in the future, I just wonder who decides what is appropriate? I obviously didn't think using RIP to describe the loss of Hossa to my fantasy team was inappropriate or I wouldn't have used it. A quick read of my post would have made it easily apparent that it is nothing serious at all, but like Dobber said it can be startling to see at first. Point taken, it won't happen again. Having read the infraction policy it is pretty much left open, understandable as it is impossible to list everything.

So to my point, how is appropriateness decided, by whom? Two examples: 1. Moses posted in this thread and he makes a joke about a tablet being heavy in his signature. Is this not inappropriate if I was a religious person or had a belief in God? I don't think this way, I think it is funny but others may not.
    2. Axeman is a regular contributor and always has very good fantasy insight, but in his avatar he has a joke about staring at cleavage and how it is ok if you have sunglasses. Isn't this sexist and perhaps off putting to read each time you view one of his posts? I don't really see the humour in it, as a father of a daughter, as I don't think condoning leering at women is a good thing.

Are either of these examples any worse, not as bad as mine? If so, are you going to ask them to edit their signatures or do it for them? Or am I missing the boat on this one entirely.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by horseflyhab View Post
    Or am I missing the boat on this one entirely.
    You missed the boat only because nothing bad comes from this. The title was changed, big deal. You didn't get an infraction or anything like that. Also, the rest of your life is unaffected.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust