Thread: Myers vs. Ekholm - who ya got?

The Magnificent One

Default Myers vs. Ekholm - who ya got?

It can be a challenge writing cage match every week, since marquee match-ups are harder to come by than readers think. But guess what - I'm not unhappy about that, because the means I get to write (and, in turn, you get to read) columns that feature players who are just as important to dissect even though they're not in the top echelon for their position. This provides insight on how to value the medium to lower range players who are important pieces in filling out your roster in order to field a winning team.

With all that in mind, this week's match is Tyler Myers vs. Mattias Ekholm: https://dobberhockey.com/hockey-home...attias-ekholm/

I encourage you to read it even if you don't own either player or aren't immediately drawn to it. Why? Because, as noted above, it will help you value players like these and better complete your fantasy rosters. As for the match, do you think that Myers will stay at the 35+ point level, whether due to his talent or the team around him, not to mention his upcoming UFA status? As for Ekholm, is there room in the kitchen for four Nashville blueliners who can all score 35+ points? As noted in the column there is precedent for that occurring, although arguably not along these same lines. Or is it that Ekholm finds himself on the outside looking in with Josi, Subban, and Ellis all healthy?

Give it a read, and let's hear your thoughts.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: Myers vs. Ekholm - who ya got?

Interesting read.

I would prefer neither of them for the upcoming season. I think they are both going to be drafted much too high for what they are going to bring as I don't expect either of them to get more than 27 points.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I liked what I saw of Myers during the playoff, I think he would be me my choice
    League 1: 10 teams Points only (Best 9F, 4D and 1G count for the season and best 8 for the playoff). Drop 4 players before a 4 round draft before season. Mini draft during all star week-end (drop one pick one available).

F: MacKinnon, Pettersson, Eichel, Barkov, Stone, Ehlers, Necas, Huberdeau, Zacha, Boldy, , Lafreniere, Cozens, Vilardi
    D: Dobson, Ekblad, DeAngelo, Seider, Bouchard, Matheson, Clarke
    G: Vasilievski, Sorokin

League 2: 14 teams, same setting.

F: Rantanen, Kyrou, Barkov, Raymond, Perfetti, Jarvis, Lundell, Lafreniere, Byfield, Holtz, Norris, Reichel, Rossi
    D: Dahlin, McAvoy, Addison, Krug, Lundkvist, Clarke
    G: Sorokin, Demko

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Great analysis. I prefer Myers even in my cap league.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Love these cage matches, there are factors considered that wouldn't have crossed my mind as an average fan/poolie.

Any chance of a Rantanen matchup sometime? Curious to know what the numbers say about him after his massive breakout year.
    10 Team Fantrax Weekly H2H
    19-Man Roster, 8 Keepers, 12 Minors (<150 NHL Games Kept Free)
    Pos: 3xC / 3xLW / 3xRW / 3xD / 3xG / 1xUtil / 3xBench / 5xIR
    Scoring: (G=1) (A=1) (W=2) (SO=1) (SV=0.05)

2020-21 League Champion 🏆

Re-tooling Season. Keepers moving forward:

C: N.MacKinnon, E.Pettersson, T.Zegras
    LW: A.DeBrincat, A.Svechnikov
    RW: W.Nylander
    D: C.Makar, R.Dahlin

Notable Minors Eligible/Prospects: C.Sillinger, S.Pinto, P.Krebs, F.Lysell, M.Coronato, S.Perunovich, F.Nazar, S.Durzi, S.Skinner

The Magnificent One

Thanks for the kind words about the column - I'm glad it was a good read and shed some new light on these players.

@FrozenInferno - I covered Rantanen in the early winter of last season, so it's a bit too soon for me to tee him up again. But I have him on my radar for the second half of this season, so stay tuned.
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    Thanks for the kind words about the column - I'm glad it was a good read and shed some new light on these players.

@FrozenInferno - I covered Rantanen in the early winter of last season, so it's a bit too soon for me to tee him up again. But I have him on my radar for the second half of this season, so stay tuned.
    Stash this one for next summer, but I'd love to see a Keller - Boeser matchup at the conclusion of year 2.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

The Magnificent One

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Stash this one for next summer, but I'd love to see a Keller - Boeser matchup at the conclusion of year 2.
    You might see it even sooner than that, but definitely no later

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Real NHL, give me Ekholm!! He is so underrated..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..