Thread: Draft advice - end of first round

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Draft advice - end of first round

Hey guys, I won my league but thanks to a trade will pick pick second last instead of last. Due to talking with other GM's I have a primary list of prospects that I want to target. I wanted to take Wahlstrom due to his goal scoring upside but lately kotkaniemi is making headlines due to Montreal wanting to take him. What is the book on him? Could he be a #1 center for MTL? Other players I can go for are Dobson, Bouchard and most prospects outside the usual top 10 in mock drafts. What say you??
    12 team 35 player dynasty Keep all players - 2017-18 Leaque champ -
    Goals: 3 Assists: 2 Def pts: 0.5 PPG:2 SHG:2 Shots: 0.4 GA:-1 SV: 0.2 Wins: 5 Shutout: 3

F: Barkov, Scheifele, Dubois, Hall, Keller, Kreider, Drouin, Monahan, Dadonov, Shwartz, Terravainen, Wilson, Tatar, Schmaltz , Bratt Minors: Necas, Chytil, Borgstrom, Kravtsov, R.Thomas, Donato,

D: Jones, Butcher, Klingberg, Hamilton, S. Theodore, Minors: Chowlowski, Jokiharju, Brannstrom, K. Miller

G: Bobrovsky, Varlamov, IR: Crawford, Raanta Minors:Hill

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Draft advice - end of first round

I would expect those 4 to be gone by 10, if they do I would take them at 11. Would be looking at Farabee, Hayton, Bokk, Denisenko, Kravstov

The Great One

If you are picking 11th, I don't see Wahlstrom or Kotkaniemi being available at your pick (assuming this is for your dynasty league, and only 2018 draftees are eligible).

Yes - Kotkaniemi has the potential to be a 1C, IMO. Montreal would not be considering him at 3rd if they didn't see 1C upside.

Dobson could be a top 10 pick too. As could Bouchard.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I can confirm that those guys will likely be there due to talking with other GM's. It is a dynasty draft but all free agents are available. Aka people are pretty high on taking players like Kovalchuk and Robert Thomas is still out there

The Great One

yeah, that changes everything. without knowing who is in your draft, it's pretty hard to give meaningful advice.

i like kok over whalstrom, if that helps.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

yep, toss in FAs and prospects from other draft years and this is a different question..

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter9 View Post
    yep, toss in FAs and prospects from other draft years and this is a different question..
    Who might be some other FA players and other years draft prospects to consider? Been looking to target some of those type players.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Wahlstrom > Thomas in my opinion.

Others will agree in a year from now. If he's there - he's the one to take. Montreal if they take Kontkaniemi is drafting for position, not BPA. period. Fantasy hockey prospect drafts - BPA all day every day.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Demi-God

In most point-heavy leagues: Dahlin,Svech,Zadina,Kotkaniemi,Wahlstrom probably top five. Quinn Hughes will be a great scoring D, I think.
    Tkachuk will be solid if there are peripherals. People have speculated on Dobson, Bouchard - but both will be drafted a bit more as two-way D-men, and that may not pan out in fantasy.

IMO, Robert Thomas should be considered right there with Svech & Zadina for points.
    He's absolutely the real thing and I believe his hockey IQ is extremely high. He reads play very well.
    Nothing about his shot or style of play is eye-popping, so that lack of "highlights" keep people from giving him enough upside.

But... STL has been one of the better/keener drafting teams last 5 years.
    Many believe they got great value by drafting Klim Kostin at 31st last year... and Thomas was a steal too, IMO.

This team found Schwartz & Tarasenko at 14/16 in 2010, Fabbri at 21st in 2014.

Thomas is a solid player, if he's there at your pick, I'd take him.
    (I've been following him very closely for last 2 years. Guys in the 24-team WHL will confirm I traded a 2018-1st round pick to move up in our prospect draft last year to take him.)
    I personally would take him over Kotkaniemi & Wahlstrom.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    In most point-heavy leagues: Dahlin,Svech,Zadina,Kotkaniemi,Wahlstrom probably top five. Quinn Hughes will be a great scoring D, I think.
    Tkachuk will be solid if there are peripherals. People have speculated on Dobson, Bouchard - but both will be drafted a bit more as two-way D-men, and that may not pan out in fantasy.

IMO, Robert Thomas should be considered right there with Svech & Zadina for points.
    He's absolutely the real thing and I believe his hockey IQ is extremely high. He reads play very well.
    Nothing about his shot or style of play is eye-popping, so that lack of "highlights" keep people from giving him enough upside.

But... STL has been one of the better/keener drafting teams last 5 years.
    Many believe they got great value by drafting Klim Kostin at 31st last year... and Thomas was a steal too, IMO.

This team found Schwartz & Tarasenko at 14/16 in 2010, Fabbri at 21st in 2014.

Thomas is a solid player, if he's there at your pick, I'd take him.
    (I've been following him very closely for last 2 years. Guys in the 24-team WHL will confirm I traded a 2018-1st round pick to move up in our prospect draft last year to take him.)
    I personally would take him over Kotkaniemi & Wahlstrom.
    just hope JP doesn't read that.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4