Thread: 1st pick overall for a PPG player

Dobber Sports Stud

Default 1st pick overall for a PPG player

I own the first pick overall at the draft and this GM with a loaded team has approached me and has thrown a few names around.
    There is no formal offer yet but it could very well be a one for one type of deal since he has too many keepers.

From that list, what would you consider for trading the first overall? Should I hold on to it?

- Tavares
    - PKane
    - Malkin
    - Kessel
    - Marchand
    - Barkov

It was a transition year for me as I tried to get younger, but I feel that I can be competitive since I own excellent draft picks this fall.
    League in signature.
    Thanks for the input boys.
    Points-only keeper league. 12 teams. Keep any 12 players. Dress 12F - 6D - 2G.

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Re: 1st pick overall for a PPG player

Quote Originally Posted by rufio.85 View Post
    I own the first pick overall at the draft and this GM with a loaded team has approached me and has thrown a few names around.
    There is no formal offer yet but it could very well be a one for one type of deal since he has too many keepers.

From that list, what would you consider for trading the first overall? Should I hold on to it?

- Tavares
    - PKane
    - Malkin
    - Kessel
    - Marchand
    - Barkov

It was a transition year for me as I tried to get younger, but I feel that I can be competitive since I own excellent draft picks this fall.
    League in signature.
    It's a partial keeper so assuming you have your pick of any prospect or player not kept. I assume in a keep 12 there won't be much elite NHL talent available, and the guy wants the pick to select Dahlin or Svechnikov. I would move the pick for Tavares and that's it. But I might be a bit biased and you should ask others too haha.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Padawan

I'm no expert but the only name there that I would trade that pick for is JT. All excellent players but he seems the most appealing. Hope things work out.
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Goalies: Gustavsson,Schmid,Vejmekla
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

Dobber Sports Titan

JT, Malkin, PKane. No one else.

Malkin and PKane I'm even looking for his 1st round pick back if he's that desperate.

Malkin/PKane + (Some high round draft pick) for 1st overall.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Initiate

This is a perfect example of how good teams stay at the top. Whatever you do, make sure he gives you back his best draft selection as well, hopefully that would be a 1st as well. If he has to drop the player you are getting from him anyway, you are basically giving him Dahlin for nothing if you don’t ask for another asset in return.

Dobber Sports Ace

- Tavares
    - PKane
    - Malkin
    - Kessel
    - Marchand
    - Barkov

League in signature.
    I'd move it for Kane, JT, or Marchand. I'd put Malkin on the list as well if he weren't so injury prone. I see the separation between those guys and a replacement level player as bigger than the difference between Dahlin's potential (especially over the next 3 years) and a replacement level d-man. If you can get a pick thrown in, that'd be gravy; but I think you'd still be getting full value if it was just one of those superstars coming back.

Dobber Sports Expert

What type of players would be available with your no.1 pick? Would anyone on the list absolutely beat them? If not, or if it's a wash, then get another pick thrown in.
    13 team Keeper, top 8F, 4D and 2G count. 1pt G/A, 2pt W/SO.
    Protect up to 500 points in a full season
    (K) denotes keeper

Keepers:

F: Draisaitl, Thompson, Thomas, Zuccarello, Konecny, Marchessault Ehlers, O'Reilly, Tarasenko, Perron, Coronato, Seguin, Atkinson, Rossi, Michkov
    D: Q Fox, Sergachev, Dobson, York, Hutson
    G: Vasilevsky, Jarry, Levi

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow View Post
    It's a partial keeper so assuming you have your pick of any prospect or player not kept. I assume in a keep 12 there won't be much elite NHL talent available, and the guy wants the pick to select Dahlin or Svechnikov. I would move the pick for Tavares and that's it. But I might be a bit biased and you should ask others too haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seeds of Grapes View Post
    What type of players would be available with your no.1 pick? Would anyone on the list absolutely beat them? If not, or if it's a wash, then get another pick thrown in.
    Exactly, we're talking about non-protected players and rookies that have been drafted in June. I'm hesitating between Dahlin and Svechnikov as of now, there isn't much leftovers otherwise.
    Indeed I would have to receive a pick as well to balance out our draft (everyone has 8 picks to make), but he doesn't have a pick until the fourth round...

The other factor here is that receiving a Tavares-type of player would mean that I have to drop a lesser player, but still a top-12 worthy keeper from my squad.
    Think Theodore, Toews or Pacioretty. Whereas picking first overall gives me an extra full year to round-up my keepers.
    Still worth acquiring JT in your opinion?

Dobber Sports Ace

Even with needing to drop someone like Toews to make this deal work, I'd still move that pick for Tavares. In a 12 team points only league, Toews isn't that big a step up from waiver fodder; but Tavares is a huge upgrade. Since you're very much in a win-now window, I definitely value a PPG+ player like Tavares over a youngster who'll take a couple years to get near the same level. Whatever pick comes back to you to balance the deal I don't think really changes the deal for me at all though. With ~150 forwards taken in your league, that puts guys in the 45-50pt range as the bottom tier forwards, so you could still be grabbing someone matching Toews' output in the later rounds. Clearly get the best pick possible, but for me it would be a good deal if all you got was an 8th back with Tavares.

Dobber Sports Stud

I'm surprised that there is no more love for Barkov.
    Anybody else thinks it's a good / bad idea to trade that 1st pick overall, given the circumstances?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Exactly, we're talking about non-protected players and rookies that have been drafted in June. I'm hesitating between Dahlin and Svechnikov as of now, there isn't much leftovers otherwise.
    Indeed I would have to receive a pick as well to balance out our draft (everyone has 8 picks to make), but he doesn't have a pick until the fourth round...

The other factor here is that receiving a Tavares-type of player would mean that I have to drop a lesser player, but still a top-12 worthy keeper from my squad.
    Think Theodore, Toews or Pacioretty. Whereas picking first overall gives me an extra full year to round-up my keepers.
    Still worth acquiring JT in your opinion?
    For sure. You don't need an "extra year to round-up" your keepers when you can do it right now. Tavares is multiple tiers above these guys. Get another pick back, maybe try to upgrade something a year off, but not take his first, if that's allowed, and then do the deal. I'd drop Toews, probably.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

The Great One

I would also move (the rights to Dahlin/Svech) in order to upgrade from Toews to Tavares. I'd probably also ask for a pick upgrade, for next year, presumably he has better picks available. He's getting a free 12th keeper, so you really have to ride him in this negotiation...

Who do you speculate are his top 13 or 14 keepers? (I know it's a keep 12)

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    I would also move (the rights to Dahlin/Svech) in order to upgrade from Toews to Tavares. I'd probably also ask for a pick upgrade, for next year, presumably he has better picks available. He's getting a free 12th keeper, so you really have to ride him in this negotiation...

Who do you speculate are his top 13 or 14 keepers? (I know it's a keep 12)
    I agree. And even if Tavares is a serious upgrade on my squad, I still have to consider that I'm losing a top-12 asset.
    In my view, that would be his top-14-ish.

Malkin
    PKane
    Tavares
    Marchand
    Kessel
    Barkov
    Bergeron
    JT Miller
    Landeskog
    PL Dubois
    Carlson
    Doughty
    Rieilly
    Quick