Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Zadina vs Tkachuk

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Zadina vs Tkachuk

Hey guys, first post here...
    I have the #3 pick in the draft, and my plan for the past couple months was to take Zadina. However I love the Tkachuk's... Loved his dad as a big Blues fan. Really wanted to draft his brother, and Brady sounds like he is supposed to be better, bigger and meaner. Our league is standard scoring + hits/blocks/PIM/shots. Obviously Tkachuk is the better peripherals guy, but is Zadina too good to pass up? Now I'm reading about scouts having him outside the top 5 and has me second guessing. I guess my question is, in a bubble, is it crazy to pass on Zadina? Would anyone take Tkachuk at #3?

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Zadina vs Tkachuk

Welcome to the forums.

Do you draft before or after the actual NHL draft?

If it's after, I'd wait on deciding anything until I see where these kids get drafted.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Rookie

Thanks Axe,
    iv read a lot of your responses, so I appreciate the feedback. We draft the same time as the NHL draft, but we get up to 24 hrs for each pick (though usually no one takes that long). So I could def wait and see how things shake out before choosing.

The Great One

Ditto to above. There is a lot of speculation that Ottawa could take BT in the 4th spot, and I'm not sure that would help his fantasy outlook (especially scoring - which are the most important stats). And if Montreal goes for a C at 3rd overall, and Zadina falls to Arizona....well, I don't know how I'd take BT in Ottawa over Zadina in Phoenix.

If you have to decide before the draft, I'd still personally go with Zadina....since hits and PIMs are (relatively) easy stats to find. And I'm much more confident in Zadina's scoring upside than BT's....

Welcome to the forums, by the way. Hope you enjoy this place.

Dobber Sports Titan

Welcome!
    I'll echo the above statements that waiting makes sense, and I would probably take Zadina too.

My addition to the thought train, is that it could be worth at least inquiring with the 4th overall owner (and 5th overall maybe) to see if he is targeting someone and would pay to move up. If someone grabs a D or Kokatniemi, you could drop down to 4 or 5 and still have one of the two plus another asset.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Pro

Welcome! For me it's Zadina hands down. As Al noted, scoring cats are harder to find than peripherals, and I'm not buying into the hype that Tkachuk is a budding multi-cat beast. He has never shown elite offensive production and, if his brother's peripheral stats are a guide, he won't produce elite hits either. Passing on a potential high end offensive producer for unrealized offense, albeit with solid PIMs, is a bad idea.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Awesome, good stuff guys! I will def wait and see how the top of the draft shakes out. I also sent the owner with #4 a message just to gauge the interest.

Dobber Sports Monster

With prospects I tend not to try to project multicat abilities too much; it can be a tiebreaker but it's better to look at offence first. As with established NHL players, you want to get the points first and world about the peripherals later. That is not to say that Tkachuck doesn't have offensive upside - I think he does and it would be wrong to look at his agitator game and think that means he's either overrated by dinosaur NHL GMs or that his edge would take away from his scoring game. That said, with Zadina you have maybe the top goal scorer in the draft if not top 2 or 3. That's a pretty good starting point. To me these two are not that dissimilar in terms of points upside, but maybe give Zadina the edge for being able to score goals - that might mean more NHL points in a league that is usually starved for snipers.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Deity

There's a good chance Tkachuk goes 4th and Zadina could very well slip to Arizona at 5 but even if this happens, I also still prefer Zadina over Tkachuk. It will just be interesting to see how this actually plays out come this weekend.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I’m with Ax and Al’s revenge. Zadina In Zona would be a great outcome. Need to wait and see.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Zadina gives you more goals, points and shots, and I think those stats are more important than hits and PIM. I think Zadina can score 30+ goals and 60-70 points whereas Tkachuk will be more like 20 goals and 50-60 points. They both have upside for a bit more than that but I tried to give a realistic projection.

Dobber Sports Pro

good thread, I have the same pick - after real draft.
    NA Hockey League 16 team H2H league multicat
    2010/2011 2014/2015 Champs

Saad, Kesler, Monahan, Ladd, T. Johnson, Hoffman, Neiderrieter, D. Sedin, O'Reilly, Hudler

Wideman, Barrie, Stralman, Muzzin, Enstrom, Vatanen

Miller, Lack, Elliot

Dobber Sports Rookie

Well I went with Zadina. What are your guys thoughts on him landing in DET? Almost seems like a gift not to land in MTL or OTT

Dobber Sports Deity

I have no issues with him in Detroit. They needs scoring as badly as any team out there and they should get that with Zadina. Usually DET takes their time with their prospects, and I can see that with Veleno, but I can see Zadina challenging for an NHL job next year.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Dumb question but I can't get Wahlstrom out of my head. How stupid would it be of me to take him 2nd overall if Svechnikov is gone with the 1st overall? I like Zadina but the possibility of Wahlstrom playing with Barzal seems very intriguing. Obviously Dahlin is a mega prospect but I'm looking for a forward that's going to put up big numbers fast.
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Goalies: Gustavsson,Schmid,Vejmekla
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov