Thread: My top 20 prospects-defense

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default My top 20 prospects-defense

Hi there,
    I took the advice of some of you and put together my own rankings to prep for my upcoming draft.
    H2H, points, 12 team, dynasty/cap league, unlimited prospect roster, G/A heavy (>70% of total points).
    Prospect eligibility, anyone who has been drafted and played under 82 games.
    Below is my list...do you see anything that really seems off? This is my first shot at this so I would imagine it's going to need some tweeks.

Thank you as always.
    1 Rasmus Dahlin
    2 Charlie McAvoy
    3 Cale Makar
    4 Thomas Chabott
    5 Samuel Girard
    6 Miro Heiskanen
    7 Timothy Liljegren
    8 Juuso Valimaki
    9 Julius Honka
    10 Erik Brannstrom
    11 Henri Jokiharju
    12 Anthony DeAngelo
    13 Quinn Hughes
    14 Adam Boqvist
    15 Evan Bouchard
    16 Travis Sanheim
    16 Noah Dobson
    17 Conor Timmins
    18 Dante Fabbro
    19 Kale Clague
    20 Brendan Guhle

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: My top 20 prospects-defense

It's so tough to say this early but generally it seems like you have a good sense of the projected values.
    I will say that I think the DeAngelo ship has sailed (at least as far as the upside of most of the rest of these guys). My other thought is whether guys like Phillip Myers or other prospects are available. Wondering who you might have missed.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Great One

I'm not that keen on DeAngelo either; how many teams has he been on?

Adam Fox or Rasmus Andersson and Phillipe Myers are worth considering at the end of that list.

I like Honka, but personally, I'd rank him a bit lower. I believe he is a RHD and I don't see him knocking Klingberg off the top spot. And Heiskanen, I think, it a LHD...so I just have a hard time seeing Honka as a top pairing guy.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Dobson needs moved up
    16 Team H2H Dynasty
    G A Pt PIM SoG PPP H+B FOW DZS
    W Svs GAA Sv%

C Scheifele Tavares Dvorack Eller
    LW Domi Aho Ritchie Vrana
    RW Tarasenko J Williams Laine Sheary
    D Klefbom M Rielly Spurgeon Provorov Ellis Dahlin
    R White Kase Schmaltz Thomas Anston-Reese Lindell Theodore

G McEhlinney C Anderson
    R Kuemper

M Bjork Raddysh Kravtsov Ylonen Soderstorm Gilles Gustavsson Point Khakonen Delia Hill

Dobber Sports Wizard

Looks mostly OK. I think you have Valimaki way too high, and the final 4 names on that list are more two-way than offensive, so I think you can probably find others with higher upside. But they are safe prospects, so if you like that, then they're fine where they are.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Great, thank you all so much. I have about 50 d-men on my list but was trying to put together some sort of ranking so your input helps a lot.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Updated list....any glaring omissions or ranking issues? And once again, thank you.

1 Rasmus Dahlin
    2 Charlie McAvoy
    3 Cale Makar
    4 Thomas Chabot
    5 Samuel Girard
    6 Miro Heiskanen
    7 Timothy Liljegren
    8 Erik Brannstrom
    9 Henri Jokiharju
    10 Noah Dobson
    11 Quinn Hughes
    12 Adam Boqvist
    13 Evan Bouchard
    14 Travis Sanheim
    15 Juuso Valimaki
    16 Rasmus Andersson
    17 Julius Honka
    18 Adam Fox
    19 Olli Juolevi
    20 Philippe Myers

The Great One

I like this list better. I'd probably take Fabbro over Juolevi; I know the latter was a really high draft pick but his development thus far worries me a bit. It's just too bad Fabbro is Nashville property...

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    I like this list better. I'd probably take Fabbro over Juolevi; I know the latter was a really high draft pick but his development thus far worries me a bit. It's just too bad Fabbro is Nashville property...
    I can be a little patient so probably makes sense to take Fabbro for the future upside then...thanks.

Dobber Sports Master

I think your second list is excellent. We could debate all year as to who could be ahead of one another in terms of 3 vs 4, 9 vs 10 etc. but within 3 slots of each ranking, I would agree with exactly how you've got them here. The younger the defencemen are, the harder it is to project their value. They can (and generally do) take a lot of time to develop. Like 4-5 years before they are making a significant impact in the NHL, even if they are top talents. By way of example, a generational talent like Karlsson was taken in 2008 but it wasn't until 2010-11 when he made a big impact.... and he is a generational talent. A good talent would be a much longer wait. By comparison, Gostisbehere exploded onto the scene in 2015, but was drafted in 2012 and no one, and I mean no one, expected him to make an impact that fast. Gardiner was regarded as an excellent prospect and it took him the better part of 8 years to hit valuable numbers. 8 years!! It took an elite talent like Kris Letang 7 years..

So, yeah, if the guy is 18 right now... I would say it's a minimum 3 year wait, with an average of 4.5-5.

- - - Updated - - -

I think your second list is excellent. We could debate all year as to who could be ahead of one another in terms of 3 vs 4, 9 vs 10 etc. but within 3 slots of each ranking, I would agree with exactly how you've got them here. The younger the defencemen are, the harder it is to project their value. They can (and generally do) take a lot of time to develop. Like 4-5 years before they are making a significant impact in the NHL, even if they are top talents. By way of example, a generational talent like Karlsson was taken in 2008 but it wasn't until 2010-11 when he made a big impact.... and he is a generational talent. A good talent would be a much longer wait. By comparison, Gostisbehere exploded onto the scene in 2015, but was drafted in 2012 and no one, and I mean no one, expected him to make an impact that fast. Gardiner was regarded as an excellent prospect and it took him the better part of 8 years to hit valuable numbers. 8 years!! It took an elite talent like Kris Letang 7 years..

So, yeah, if the guy is 18 right now... I would say it's a minimum 3 year wait, with an average of 4.5-5.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Sophomore

@agentzero, thanks for the feedback, especially the developmental time frame. I knew it could take some time but I don't think I realized how much lol

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I think your second list is very good. +/- 3 spots I agree with your choices for the most part. The biggest difference I can see between your list and where I have these prospects is I'd move up the 2018 kids. I'd have Hughes, Boqvist, Bouchard ahead of Liljegren personally. Probably Dobson too. But that is very subjective at this point and I'm sure there are people that would disagree with me! I'd also probably move Fox and Juolevi up a tad. I'm higher on Fox than most I think. Ty Smith also probably sneaks onto this list for me.

Overall very good list! Pity Sergachev missed the cutoff by 2 games, I had to double check that one to make sure.
    16 team H2H Dynasty | 22 main roster | 20 prospects
    G,GWG,OG,ShG,A,PPP,SHP,HT,FOW,Hit,Blk,PIM,+/-,SOG | W,SHO,SV,GA,OL,ShL (2.5x for defenseman points)

Main Roster
    F:Jost/DeBrusk/Bjork/Labanc/Beauvillier/Kempe/Palat/Dzingel/Kreider/Faksa/Killorn/Pearson/Tatar/Wood

D:Maatta/Edmundson/Forbort/Orlov/Dotchin
    G:Elliot/Halak

Prospect Roster
    F​: Necas/Kyrou/Chlapik/Compher/Aston-Reese/Poehling/Bracco/Greenway/Hudon/Lodnia/Senshyn
    D: Lauzon/Dineen/Forsling/Meloche
    G: Sorokin/Soderstrom/Nedelijkovic/Booth/Helvig/Sandstrom/Woll/Petruzzelli

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by BJMit View Post
    I think your second list is very good. +/- 3 spots I agree with your choices for the most part. The biggest difference I can see between your list and where I have these prospects is I'd move up the 2018 kids. I'd have Hughes, Boqvist, Bouchard ahead of Liljegren personally. Probably Dobson too. But that is very subjective at this point and I'm sure there are people that would disagree with me! I'd also probably move Fox and Juolevi up a tad. I'm higher on Fox than most I think.

Overall very good list! Pity Sergachev missed the cutoff by 2 games, I had to double check that one to make sure.
    I'm actually glad you mentioned the current year's prospects because I was thinking I'd probably take one of them sooner than I had listed.
    And we did lose some really good ones based on the <82 game restriction but that became known as the Pierre-Luc Dubois rule lol since he was at exactly 82 games it became about whether or not we wanted to see him go for a league minimum contract for a few years as a prospect or get drafted with a legit contract. But no matter what, there was always going to be someone squeaking through so we just went <82.