Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: TSN Draft Ranking

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: TSN Draft Ranking

Quote Originally Posted by Pit Bulls View Post
    Kotkaniemi at 3rd doesn't seem like such a stretch anymore in light of the Galchenyuk deal. MTL's biggest need is a C and I don't see them as a contending team for JT
    In that The Full 60 podcast I mentioned above, Corey Pronman said that based on the information he's heard, he believes Kotkaniemi is the most likely target for Montreal at #3. I think he said it's like 55% Kotkaniemi and 45% someone else (and that includes multiple players).

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    In that The Full 60 podcast I mentioned above, Corey Pronman said that based on the information he's heard, he believes Kotkaniemi is the most likely target for Montreal at #3. I think he said it's like 55% Kotkaniemi and 45% someone else (and that includes multiple players).
    If Kotkaniemi does go 3rd, do you think Ottawa backs off this Tkachuk talk and goes for Zadina? With everything going on in Ottawa, they really need to go BPA. And Tkachuk....I've never thought he was anywhere close to BPA at the 4 spot...

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    If Kotkaniemi does go 3rd, do you think Ottawa backs off this Tkachuk talk and goes for Zadina? With everything going on in Ottawa, they really need to go BPA. And Tkachuk....I've never thought he was anywhere close to BPA at the 4 spot...
    Tkachuk wouldn't be top 5 on my list either but I wouldn't be shocked to see Zadina slipping to #5 (and Arizona will say 'thank you very much').

EDIT: I also wouldn't be shocked to see Zadina slipping to #6 if Arizona decides they need a player like Dobson more than him. I think it's very unlikely Zadina would slip to Detroit but I think the odds of that happening are more than 0%.

The Great One

Tkachuk wouldn't be top 5 on my list either but I wouldn't be shocked to see Zadina slipping to #5 (and Arizona will say 'thank you very much').

EDIT: I also wouldn't be shocked to see Zadina slipping to #6 if Arizona decides they need a player like Dobson more than him. I think it's very unlikely Zadina would slip to Detroit but I think the odds of that happening are more than 0%.
    Thanks for your insight. I would be shocked if Ottawa passed on Zadina if he's available. I mean, if you are losing your first round pick next year AND clearly facing a rebuild (I don't expect Hoffman or Karlsson back, and I don't expect Duchene to be re-signed)....then you HAVE to draft a player with the most offensive upside...and not some player with 2nd line skills and intangibles.

The Great One

That interview is very interesting, but also all over the map. He lists Kotkaniemi as 55% going to Montreal (as part of his mock draft). But later, he has puts Zadina in that sport for Montreal. And assuming Zadina goes 3rd, he has Tkachuk or Hughes at 4th, with a strong preference for Hughes.

Dobber Sports Wizard

That interview is very interesting, but also all over the map. He lists Kotkaniemi as 55% going to Montreal (as part of his mock draft). But later, he has puts Zadina in that sport for Montreal. And assuming Zadina goes 3rd, he has Tkachuk or Hughes at 4th, with a strong preference for Hughes.
    They really were all over the map. They jumped between what Corey would do if he was running scouting departments and what he thinks will happen at the draft. Eventually, they just started talking about what Corey would do because he'll publish his own mock draft soon, so they didn't want to go through that stuff on the podcast. But yeah, there was a ton of confusion there.

So eventually, I believe he said he would take Zadina at #3 but believes Montreal goes with Kotkaniemi. I'm sure he would take Hughes over Tkachuk because he's not very high on Tkachuk but I don't remember him thinking Ottawa would do that. So that was probably when they started talking about what would happen if Corey was running the draft for them.

The Great One

While I haven't seen this written anywhere, and it's total speculation on my part, I'm wondering if Montreal and Arizona might have another deal in the works involving picks 3 and 5. It wouldn't shock me if Arizona was willing to give up a decent asset to move into 3rd spot to take Zadina. And I think there is a decent chance Ottawa doesn't touch Kotkaniemi. And even if Ottawa does, Wahlstrom and a good 2nd asset wouldn't be a bad haul for Montreal. I know some places list Wahlstrom as C/RW, but I haven't seen much to suggest what potential that kid might have at centre...

Dobber Sports Wizard

While I haven't seen this written anywhere, and it's total speculation on my part, I'm wondering if Montreal and Arizona might have another deal in the works involving picks 3 and 5. It wouldn't shock me if Arizona was willing to give up a decent asset to move into 3rd spot to take Zadina. And I think there is a decent chance Ottawa doesn't touch Kotkaniemi. And even if Ottawa does, Wahlstrom and a good 2nd asset wouldn't be a bad haul for Montreal. I know some places list Wahlstrom as C/RW, but I haven't seen much to suggest what potential that kid might have at centre...
    It's definitely possible but I doubt Arizona would be willing to pay all that much to move up. I know I wouldn't pay more than a 3rd round pick to move up from #5 to #3 this year.

Wahlstrom is a winger. He's played center in the past like most top prospects but he's a goal-scorer and a volume-shooter, and those guys pretty much always play wing.

I also think Wahlstrom at #5 would be a reach. If Zadina and Kotkaniemi are gone, it should be between Hughes and Dobson at that point (but Tkackhuk is also there because of reasons). Wahlstrom appears to be in that next tier (from #7 to #10) by all accounts.

Dobber Sports Stud

I know some places list Wahlstrom as C/RW, but I haven't seen much to suggest what potential that kid might have at centre...
    Craig Button made it clear a few days ago on TSN Radio that anyone that lists either Wahlstrom or Tkachuk as a center doesn't know what they're talking about. Tkachuk is a LW, Wahlstrom is a RW, and they are both absolutely not centers. He isn't saying that they are bad centers, won't be NHL centers, etc. He's saying that they don't play center!!!

GET WELL SOON, DOBBER.

The Great One

It's definitely possible but I doubt Arizona would be willing to pay all that much to move up. I know I wouldn't pay more than a 3rd round pick to move up from #5 to #3 this year.

Wahlstrom is a winger. He's played center in the past like most top prospects but he's a goal-scorer and a volume-shooter, and those guys pretty much always play wing.

I also think Wahlstrom at #5 would be a reach. If Zadina and Kotkaniemi are gone, it should be between Hughes and Dobson at that point (but Tkackhuk is also there because of reasons). Wahlstrom appears to be in that next tier (from #7 to #10) by all accounts.
    Could be so. I fully admit I undervalue D at the draft; always have. Still wouldn't surprise me to see Arizona move up to 3; I'd much rather Zadina than Hughes (and I just can't see Dobson top 5). If I'm Arizona's GM, I'm feeling the heat to start showing some results. And I think one gets results a heck of a lot faster by plugging Zadina into that line up as opposed to waiting on Hughes.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by forsbergfan View Post
    Craig Button made it clear a few days ago on TSN Radio that anyone that lists either Wahlstrom or Tkachuk as a center doesn't know what they're talking about. Tkachuk is a LW, Wahlstrom is a RW, and they are both absolutely not centers. He isn't saying that they are bad centers, won't be NHL centers, etc. He's saying that they don't play center!!!
    Well, both Tkachuk and Wahlstrom have played center but not recently. But yeah, I don't see either one playing center in the NHL.

EDIT: But as said, most top prospects have played center growing up, so it doesn't mean much. That's the case with both of them as well.

Could be so. I fully admit I undervalue D at the draft; always have. Still wouldn't surprise me to see Arizona move up to 3; I'd much rather Zadina than Hughes (and I just can't see Dobson top 5). If I'm Arizona's GM, I'm feeling the heat to start showing some results. And I think one gets results a heck of a lot faster by plugging Zadina into that line up as opposed to waiting on Hughes.
    I actually think Hughes could possibly jump straight to the NHL. Dobson is also close. Maybe one year. These are elite 'D' prospects, you don't see guys like them in the draft every year. Think Heiskanen from last year - he's expected to play a big role for Dallas next season.

The Coyotes just don't have much on defense right now if you're thinking long-term. They have OEL and Chychrun, and that's it. They have a couple of decent 'D' prospects but they don't have top-pair upside. Both Hughes and Dobson have that in my opinion. But Hughes is a left-handed shot like OEL and Chychrun, so that's why Dobson might make more sense.

The Great One

Well, both Tkachuk and Wahlstrom have played center but not recently. But yeah, I don't see either one playing center in the NHL.

EDIT: But as said, most top prospects have played center growing up, so it doesn't mean much. That's the case with both of them as well.

I actually think Hughes could possibly jump straight to the NHL. Dobson is also close. Maybe one year. These are elite 'D' prospects, you don't see guys like them in the draft every year. Think Heiskanen from last year - he's expected to play a big role for Dallas next season.

The Coyotes just don't have much on defense right now if you're thinking long-term. They have OEL and Chychrun, and that's it. They have a couple of decent 'D' prospects but they don't have top-pair upside. Both Hughes and Dobson have that in my opinion. But Hughes is a left-handed shot like OEL and Chychrun, so that's why Dobson might make more sense.
    This makes me think Zadina is miles better than any D option. OEL is signed for 8 years and I expect Chychrun to be there for the long-haul too. Do they really need another left-handed puck moving D-man? A top line winger just seems way more valuable at this stage.

Dobber Sports Wizard

This makes me think Zadina is miles better than any D option. OEL is signed for 8 years and I expect Chychrun to be there for the long-haul too. Do they really need another left-handed puck moving D-man? A top line winger just seems way more valuable at this stage.
    I do have Zadina slightly ahead personally but they're in the same tier, and there's isn't much of a difference. Wingers just have the least amount of impact on the game, so that's why I usually favor centers and defensemen over them. But in this case, yes, I have Zadina slightly ahead but it's close enough that I can see teams passing on him to select a player who plays a more impactful position.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Dobson is the coveted RHD which I’d prefer over a winger. Dobson and OEL top pairing could be gross.
    16 Team H2H Dynasty
    G A Pt PIM SoG PPP H+B FOW DZS
    W Svs GAA Sv%

C Scheifele Tavares Dvorack Eller
    LW Domi Aho Ritchie Vrana
    RW Tarasenko J Williams Laine Sheary
    D Klefbom M Rielly Spurgeon Provorov Ellis Dahlin
    R White Kase Schmaltz Thomas Anston-Reese Lindell Theodore

G McEhlinney C Anderson
    R Kuemper

M Bjork Raddysh Kravtsov Ylonen Soderstorm Gilles Gustavsson Point Khakonen Delia Hill

The Great One

Pronman on Dobson: "I don’t know if the high level of points and shots on goal he’s shown this season translates to the NHL at the same level, but he could be a power play guy as a pro, while taking tough defensive matchups in a team’s top four." And ranked 20th. I don't know, I'd still move up to take Zadina if I were running the Yotes!