Thread: Barzal/Matthews

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Barzal/Matthews

Which side do you prefer for points only dynasty?

Matthews
    Dermott
    Gaudette

or

Barzal
    Chabot
    Borgstrom

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Barzal/Matthews

Barzal side. the secondary pieces are significantly better on that side of the deal. Add in that Barzal has basically demonstrated already he'll go point for point with Matthews and I take that deal every time
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Veteran

Another for the Barzal side, I think you're getting the 1st and 3rd best players in this deal.
    16 Team - Keep 5 - H2H Points
    Start: 2C/2LW/2RW/4D/2G - 4Bench
    G/A(1.25) STP(1.5) GWG(3) SOG(0.25) H(0.2) Blks(0.25) +/-(0.25) PIM(0.1) FOW(0.1)

C: Malkin, Kopitar, Hartman, Johansen
    LW: Ovechkin, Pacioretty, Barbashev (C)
    RW: Rust, Mangiapane (LW), Rodrigues (LW)
    D: DeAngelo, Karlsson, Faulk, Morrisey, Myers
    G: A. Forsberg, Price, Reimer, Holtby

Dobber Sports Genius

Dynasty league: I want Matthews over Barzal and don't care enough about the fringe pieces to let them cloud the decision.

I want the guy that is putting up both goals and assists. I think there is a better chance that a goal scoring centre will regularly out-point a pass first centre. Add to this the 'name' factor of having the Leafs star player. This will keep Matthews value up in future years.
    Last edited by Moses; June 14, 2018 at 4:35 PM. Reason: more time to add thoughts...
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I take Barzal side as well. That is the kind of trade you win based on name value.

Only thing is Matthews name is so big, make sure to shop him to other poolers to know if you could get even more for him.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Dynasty league: I want Matthews over Barzal and don't care enough about the fringe pieces to let them cloud the decision.

I want the guy that is putting up both goals and assists. I think there is a better chance that a goal scoring centre will regularly out-point a pass first centre. Add to this the 'name' factor of having the Leafs star player. This will keep Matthews value up in future years.
    Interesting you're so clearly decided on Matthews who was on an 80/81pt pace & Barzal put up 85.

Personally, I think they're going to both be annual 85+pt players. Offensively, in a points only pool, they're pretty equal and I don't see much separation coming in the next few years.

So then, if it's a coin flip - the 'fringe' pieces (Borgstrom #2 ranking, Chabot #4 - Dobber June Rankings for D & F; Gaudette #37, Dermott #23) become the swing portion of the deal. Borgstrom's got 65+pt upside, Chabot 50+pt upside Gaudette 50+, Dermott 40+ They become difference makers in a deal when the main pieces are basically a wash.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I mean, historically, assist first players almost always outpoint goal first players.

I would prefer the Barzal side for the ancillary pieces. I can't even be confident Matthews is better 1v1 to Barzal.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Interesting you're so clearly decided on Matthews who was on an 80/81pt pace & Barzal put up 85.

Personally, I think they're going to both be annual 85+pt players. Offensively, in a points only pool, they're pretty equal and I don't see much separation coming in the next few years.

So then, if it's a coin flip - the 'fringe' pieces (Borgstrom #2 ranking, Chabot #4 - Dobber June Rankings for D & F; Gaudette #37, Dermott #23) become the swing portion of the deal. Borgstrom's got 65+pt upside, Chabot 50+pt upside Gaudette 50+, Dermott 40+ They become difference makers in a deal when the main pieces are basically a wash.

I like the future potential of players who score goals at close to the same rate they dish out assists. Looking players who ended up as reliable, constant NHL scorers I think I see a trend where guys that put up high rates of both goals and assists as they were coming up the junior ranks do extremely well as point producers in the NHL. Matthews ticks this box. I think he is the guy, of the two, that has a more productive career, points wise.

I'm not going to argue that Barzal isn't an exceptional player. He sure looks like one. I think (and I am the furthest thing from a Leafs fan or homer) Matthews is the guy that I, like personally me, would want in this deal. That being said, in this instance, I then don't care about the 'fringe' and their potential. In a dynasty league I want 20 year old Austin Matthews over a 4 moths older Matt Barzal.

Dobber Sports Jedi

I like the future potential of players who score goals at close to the same rate they dish out assists. Looking players who ended up as reliable, constant NHL scorers I think I see a trend where guys that put up high rates of both goals and assists as they were coming up the junior ranks do extremely well as point producers in the NHL. Matthews ticks this box. I think he is the guy, of the two, that has a more productive career, points wise.

I'm not going to argue that Barzal isn't an exceptional player. He sure looks like one. I think (and I am the furthest thing from a Leafs fan or homer) Matthews is the guy that I, like personally me, would want in this deal. That being said, in this instance, I then don't care about the 'fringe' and their potential. In a dynasty league I want 20 year old Austin Matthews over a 4 moths older Matt Barzal.
    fair points & I can't argue with the general strategy of g's vs. a's

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I mean, historically, assist first players almost always outpoint goal first players.

The argument I am attempting to make is that guys that came up as players who scored both G and A as teenagers seem to have lasting power as point producers in the NHL. They may develop into pass-first assist players, but coming up they put up totals in both.