Thread: Gaudreau vs. Hall - who ya got?

The Great One

Default Gaudreau vs. Hall - who ya got?

You might get a sense of deja vu in reading this week's cage match between Johnny Gaudreau and Taylor Hall (https://dobberhockey.com/hockey-home...taylor-hall-2/), as it was a little over two years that they previously did battle. But I figured it was time to have them meet again, what with Hall on a new team and Gaudreau's NHL experience having doubled in the interim.

Give the column a read and voice your views. Can Hall come close to a 100 point scoring pace again, especially after we see how crazy high - both in general and especially for him - his PP scoring pace was? Or is he merely the same 88 point scoring pace player he was for a couple of seasons in Edmonton, who caught fire last season? Is he this good because he has to do so much on his own, ala Patrick Kane these days in Chicago, or might he get better as the team around him continues to improve? And what of Gaudreau? That data seems to suggest his scoring from last year not only was legit but might even have realistic room for improvement. Can he get better, especially if Monahan is healthy all year? Or might he be at risk of seeing his SOG total drop back a bit and take his points down a few notches with it?

Let's liven up the forums with some spirited discussion on these two.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Re: Gaudreau vs. Hall - who ya got?

What concerns me about Hall is that he always follows up a spectacular season with a down year. After registering 80 points in 13/14, he backed that up with 38 points in 53 games the following season. In 2016/17 Hall registered 53 points and Gaudreau's floor seems to be at 60 points if he played a full season.

I would still choose Taylor Hall because he appears to have the higher ceiling since he just hit 93 points in 76 games this past year. A bit nit picky though, can't go wrong with either guy and I wouldn't be surprised if Gaudreau became a top 5 scorer in this league.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I just liked when you said that now may be the time to use Hall to see if you can leverage Karlsson or McDavid away from their owners. While I see no chance of acquiring McDavid, I currently own Karlsson. So may as well keep Hall and look to try and win my 4th title in the past 5 years.

Never thought I would like Hall better in NJ than Edmonton, but that's turning out to be the case.

I think both Hall and Johnny Hockey are money and have no issues calling the cage match a tie.

But I'll keep my asset in Hall as I see him touching on a few more of my scoring categories... and if I miss... then it won't be much more for the Johnny Hockey owner.

This is truly a great cage match!

Well done rizzee.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I think you get a slightly higher upside with Hall, but he seems to always miss a dozen games or so. Gun to my head I'm taking Gaudreau because of consistency.

Great read nonetheless.
    16 Team - Keep 5 - H2H Points
    Start: 2C/2LW/2RW/4D/2G - 4Bench
    G/A(1.25) STP(1.5) GWG(3) SOG(0.25) H(0.2) Blks(0.25) +/-(0.25) PIM(0.1) FOW(0.1)

C: Malkin, Kopitar, Hartman, Johansen
    LW: Ovechkin, Pacioretty, Barbashev (C)
    RW: Rust, Mangiapane (LW), Rodrigues (LW)
    D: DeAngelo, Karlsson, Faulk, Morrisey, Myers
    G: A. Forsberg, Price, Reimer, Holtby

Dobber Sports Rookie

I would probably take Hall, just based on the fact I believe his supporting cast will get better. When Hischier starts coming into his own, I think Hall's ceiling might be higher.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Great article as always Rizzee! Thank you for the amazing breakdown!

I had the opportunity to receive Gaudreau or Hall in a keeper pts only league last summer and choose Johnny. I am still positive I made the right call. I still think Hall is one of the top wingers in the leaguw but when you add up the factors that Gaudreau had going against him:

1) 25th or something PP in the league last year. Gulutzan kept Gaudreau on his weak side and never put him in the right side on PP1. I was reading the Athletic and it mentioned this was one of the reasons the Flames PP suffered last year. Peters has been a successful special teams coach and his new assistant has been as well, i expect them top 15 if not top 10 next year. They have the tools.
    2) suppprting cast, I believe the Flames top PP (when loaded properly) is a big improvement on NJs. Brodie was used for alot of the year and he didn't help PP1, should Hamilton be locked in PP1 with the right coaching I can see a drastic improvement. Also I have a feelong Tkachuk will be a mainstay on PP1 with Gaudreau and Monahan next year which will help too.
    3) Monahan was injured since late 2017 and they both still posted amazing numbers, with a winger not named Ferland I think they both could add on a good amount of pts next season.

Hall definitely impressed me this year and while I do believe he has the potential to improve that takes him avoiding a serious injury next season and though he played alot more than his career average asking 2 years consecutively is alot for him. Tack on the 2 year difference and it pushes it further to Johnny Hockeys side even further!
    - Keeper League / 10 Keepers / 1 PT per G or A / 2 PT per W - 2 PT per SO -

F: Rantanen, Monahan, Barkov, Aho, Wheeler, Keller, Nylander J. Hughes, Reinhart. W. Karlsson, Konecny, Rust, E. Staal, Killorn, Getzlaf,
    D: Krug, Gustafsson, Provorov, Morrissey, DeAngelo
    G: Andersen, Jarry, Rittich, Murray

Dobber Sports Novice

Outstanding article. Gaudreau may be consistent but Hall is better because of his potential and his improvement over the years.

The Great One

Thanks for all the praise - it sounds like this was a good match for me to redo and one where, as some have mentioned, there's no real loser due to both being poised for continued success. What it really boils down to is whether they'll end up being equals, Hall will stay more producitive, or Gaudreau will creep upward enough to pass Hall. Any other thoughts?
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Monster

After reading your article over again I find myself questioning my pick of Hall over Gaudreau lol.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Um, both?

Really it's a no-lose situation as many have said.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.