Thread: Tiering propsects available in my draft that are from prior draft classes

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Tiering propsects available in my draft that are from prior draft classes

I'm trying to get a jump on this early, so that I can fix my thinking that a prospect not in the NHL is a waste of a roster spot. Last year I drafted Elias Pettersson in the first round, but cut him post draft. Since he was ineligble to be picked up due to not playing in the NHL, he's in this years draft again. Some GMs held on to their drafted prospects like Mittelstadt. I've gone through the top prospects ranking, and added in some younger guys from the top skaters list as well that are available in my league.

Prospects are alphabetical within tiers. Do these look like reasonable tiers for points-only?

Tier 1
    Henrik Borgstrom
    Elias Pettersson
    Jack Roslovic
    Eeli Tolvanen

Tier 2
    Jake Debrusk
    Mark Jankowski
    Kasperi Kapanen
    Martin Necas
    Kailer Yamamoto

Tier 3
    Lias Andersson
    Andreas Athanasiou
    Logan Brown
    Anthony Cirelli
    J.T. Compher
    Ryan Donato
    Christian Fischer
    Morgan Frost
    Jordan Greenway
    Kirill Kaprizov
    Luke Kunin
    Sam Steel
    Troy Terry
    Robert Thomas
    Colin White

Thanks in advance for feedback, will rep where I can.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Re: Tiering propsects available in my draft that are from prior draft classes

I personally like your break down for the most part. I would, however expand tier 2 from tier 3 slightly to give a little extra credit to some prospects that have impressed me.

Tier 1
    Henrik Borgstrom
    Elias Pettersson
    Jack Roslovic
    Eeli Tolvanen

Kailer Yamamoto (Tier 1b)

Tier 2
    Jake Debrusk
    Mark Jankowski
    Kasperi Kapanen
    Martin Necas
    Sam Steel
    Ryan Donato
    Robert Thomas
    Anthony Cirelli (Great opportunity in Tampa)

Kirill Kaprizov (Tier 2b Just because I’m not confident in his NHL date but if he does he climbs this list)

Tier 3
    Lias Andersson
    Andreas Athanasiou
    Logan Brown
    J.T. Compher
    Christian Fischer
    Morgan Frost
    Jordan Greenway
    Luke Kunin
    Troy Terry
    Colin White

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Tiering propsects available in my draft that are from prior draft classes

I'm assuming your looking at like an ultimate upside ranking and not a mixture of upside and likely hood of hitting it/timeline to the NHL etc.

I'd go
    Tier 1
    Pettersson
    Necas
    Kaprisov

Tier 2
    Robert Thomas
    Ryan donato
    Debrusk
    Yama
    Tolvanen
    Borgstrom
    Steel

Tier 3
    Andersson
    Fischer
    Frost
    Roslo

The rest tier 4 etc

Obviously there would be some tweeners here too but I think this is a rough outline of how I'd rank them

Dobber Sports Jedi

What time frame of return are you looking for? As that significantly impacts the value of a player like Kaprizov
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Stud

By looking at your team and especially your bench players it seems you have a really good team and a deep one at that. For that reason I wouldn't worry about a prospect's impact in the next 2 years. Swing for the home run and be prepared to have them on your roster for 1-2 years without any pay-off. Seems you can afford it. My top 6:

Pettersen (highest upside and arriving soon)
    Tolvanen (high upside and arriving soon)
    Kaprizov (high upside but not arriving for a while)
    Necas (high upside and arriving soon)
    Borgstrom (reasonably high upside and arriving soon)
    DeBrusk (decent upside and has already arrived)

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I'd go:

Tier 1

Kirill Kaprizov
    Elias Pettersson
    Eeli Tolvanen

Tier 2
    Henrik Borgstrom
    Jake Debrusk
    Robert Thomas
    Martin Necas
    Kailer Yamamoto

Tier 3
    Logan Brown
    Jack Roslovic
    Ryan Donato
    Morgan Frost
    Luke Kunin
    Sam Steel
    Troy Terry
    Colin White
    Lias Andersson

Tier 4

Andreas Athanasiou
    Anthony Cirelli
    J.T. Compher
    Christian Fischer
    Mark Jankowski
    Kasperi Kapanen
    Jordan Greenway

8 team keeper league, scoring cats F/D: G, A, PPG, PPP, SHG, SHP, GWG, HT, SOG, Hit, Blk, FW/FL. G: GS, W, GA, SV, SHO

Pittsburgh Top Cats
    F: Malkin, Crosby, Eichel, McDavid, MacKinnon, Rantanen, Robertson, A. Svechnikov, Zibanejad, Kaprizov, Fiala, Keller, Thompson, Bedard, Cozens, Cooley
    D: Letang, Dobson, Hamilton, Makar, D. Toews, Sanderson, Burns
    G: Shesterkin, Andersen, Kuemper

Farm:
    F: ​Quinn, Nazar, Firkus, Fantilli, Benson, Donato, Dumais, Guenther, Lardis, Nichushkin, J. Perron, C. Ritchie, Yager, Ziemmer, But
    D: L. Hughes, Addison, Jiricek, Mateychuk, Nikishin, S. Morrow, Nelson, Brzustewicz
    G: Raanta, Hofer, Korpisalo

The Great One

I quite like the list posted by Mr. Pittsburgh; rep given

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Where would you guys put Vilardi in there? He's got good potential idealy he spend a year in AHL or minor his he still illedgible. The king's got nothing coming up the pipeline I'm sure he will get a good look at.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nolip View Post
    Where would you guys put Vilardi in there? He's got good potential idealy he spend a year in AHL or minor his he still illedgible. The king's got nothing coming up the pipeline I'm sure he will get a good look at.
    Vilardi is gone in my league, but he's probably Tier 3 in my original post. I'm realizing I may need to further separate the tiers, though, so that may change.

As further feedback to everyone, I do have a good team, and have not shown enough patience with drafted prospects (looks at Petterssen and groans) and have drafted poorly at times as well. I make up for it by being excellent on the wire. My desired goal is a 60+ point forward within 3 years, I guess. Ideally more upside, but there's a lot of luck in my league.

I'm figuring Nyquist & somebody will be my drops for whomever I draft.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    I quite like the list posted by Mr. Pittsburgh; rep given
    Thank you sir