Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Slava Voynov

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Slava Voynov

To be clear, Ray Rice didn't get another job because he wasn't a useful contributor anymore. His domestic violence incident was the reason, but a team would have signed him if they thought he would be a useful player. He wasn't anymore.

The Great One

Someones going to get all twisted up about my next comment- but in this day and age it really needs to be said:

The other thing here is that there is so much stigma attached to domestic violence that people want to throw out the formalities and just get their pitch forks out. With Ray it was "clear cut" agression and violence. There is a whole shit ton of grey area in the realm of domestic incidents and we arent privvy to all the details here. YES domestic violence is abhorrent but their are different levels of abhorrence. I had a friend get charged because she dumped a glass of wine on her ex-husbands head. I also had a male friend charegd (by the police- NOT his gf and YES they can do that in Canada)- for pushing his girlfriend off of him after being punched in the face repeatedly- and there were several wtnesses. The police didnt like him and he said something stupid- bada boom, badda bing- domestic charge. Im not advocating domestic violence (at all) but not every incident is Ray Rice. Only Voynov and his wife no the whole story here and excommunicating him from the league based on speculative knowledge of the incident seems overzealous...

Dobber Sports Deity

I dont think he will have an issue finding an NHL job at all. There will be plenty of teams lining up for his services.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

Just like everyone has their own opinion, NHL teams will have their opinion as well. I'm sure many of them will avoid him.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Emu View Post
    Someones going to get all twisted up about my next comment- but in this day and age it really needs to be said:

The other thing here is that there is so much stigma attached to domestic violence that people want to throw out the formalities and just get their pitch forks out. With Ray it was "clear cut" agression and violence. There is a whole shit ton of grey area in the realm of domestic incidents and we arent privvy to all the details here. YES domestic violence is abhorrent but their are different levels of abhorrence. I had a friend get charged because she dumped a glass of wine on her ex-husbands head. I also had a male friend charegd (by the police- NOT his gf and YES they can do that in Canada)- for pushing his girlfriend off of him after being punched in the face repeatedly- and there were several wtnesses. The police didnt like him and he said something stupid- bada boom, badda bing- domestic charge. Im not advocating domestic violence (at all) but not every incident is Ray Rice. Only Voynov and his wife no the whole story here and excommunicating him from the league based on speculative knowledge of the incident seems overzealous...
    I understand what you're saying about not every situation being the same, but this isn't some hush hush speculative situation. The guy plead down from a number of felony charges to a misdemeanor that landed him in jail for 90 days, got 3 years probation, and his lawyers decided it wasn't even worth fighting the immigration case. So in this case it's not speculation, he admitted guilt, and was punished for it. So at least there isn't a grey area around this specific case. Although again, totally understand what you're saying, since even this and the Rice situation were considerably different.

The only debate I really see here is whether any team is willing to test the backlash in the court of public opinion for hiring someone with his past in the current social climate.

Dobber Sports Padawan

The only difference is film vs no film, here’s her statement she may have been the aggressor to start with but he finished it. He’s a professional athlete and she’s 1/2 his size. Give me a break:

Voynov’s wife, Marta Varlamova, told police in October 2014 that her husband punched her left jaw outside of a Halloween party. The dispute continued at the couple’s Redondo Beach home, according to the police report, where Voynov choked her with both hands three times, repeatedly pushed her to the ground, kicked her five to six times on the ground and eventually shoved her into the corner of a flat-screen television mounted on a wall.

“My blood, all over bedroom and bathroom,” Varlamova told police in a recorded interview. “And it’s not the first time.”

16 Team H2H Dynasty
    G A Pt PIM SoG PPP H+B FOW DZS
    W Svs GAA Sv%

C Scheifele Tavares Dvorack Eller
    LW Domi Aho Ritchie Vrana
    RW Tarasenko J Williams Laine Sheary
    D Klefbom M Rielly Spurgeon Provorov Ellis Dahlin
    R White Kase Schmaltz Thomas Anston-Reese Lindell Theodore

G McEhlinney C Anderson
    R Kuemper

M Bjork Raddysh Kravtsov Ylonen Soderstorm Gilles Gustavsson Point Khakonen Delia Hill

The Great One

This topic can be pretty polarizing so Im going to bow out. I wasnt privy to those details but I actually still stand by the spirit of my post. In my experience on this planet this damsel in distress narrative is the aberration not the norm. There are almost always factors, quirks, dynamics under the surface operating that we dont know about. Ive seen domestic violence happen and its horrifying- maybe Im world weary but it just seems like so often its a two person enterprise with both being active participants. Anyways I hope shes ok and in theory hes paid his dues- maybe hes reformed? Ive just lost my passion for armchair sentencing in these cases- lol! I dont have an issue if he plays (and if he scores 25+ from the blueline I might even draft him)- but if he doesnt Im not going to shed any tears...

Dobber Sports Deity

The NHL's take on Voynov's potential return to the league.

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=2...523247534294-4

The NHL offered some clarity on Slava Voynov's potential reinstatement. The defenseman, whose rights are held by the Los Angeles Kings on the voluntary retirement list, pleaded no contest to a reduced misdemeanor charge for domestic violence in 2015 and moved to Russia. He's made it clear he wants to return to North America and the NHL. After Voynov gets his immigration and legal matters sorted out, the next step is a meeting with Commissioner Gary Bettman. "At the time when it happened, he was dealing with legal issues and immigration issues. He really was not in a position where he could allow [the NHL] to investigate in any meaningful way. And then he went back to the KHL. In a lot of respects, we're starting at ground zero with him," said deputy commissioner Bill Daly. "What happened and what happened since ... all of that would go into any ultimate decision by Gary on his eligibility to play." As for whether the NHL should even consider reinstating a player who did jail time for domestic violence, Daly said: "I'm not in a position to opine on that. Without understanding all the facts, I don't think anyone is in a position to opine on that."
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

My only takeaway from that statement: opine. That is all.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

If Dany Heatly was allowed to resume his career after what he did, I would think the NHL will allow Slava Voynov to be re-instated.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Elpidio1975 View Post
    If Dany Heatly was allowed to resume his career after what he did, I would think the NHL will allow Slava Voynov to be re-instated.
    I don't think Heatley intended to crash and kill his best friend. Voynov, well... did he accidentally beat the crap out of his wife? Guess we'll never know..

apples/oranges... Voynov should call Ray Rice, not Heatley

Side note on D.H. -- He's still very close with Dan Snyder's parents.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Wizard

when you commit crime that does not put you in jail for rest of your life, you should be allowed to work once you are out. This should not be any different. Not everyone will be a role model for kids nor should we expect every single athlete to be one. I always say that if you lucky you get bad apple one way or the other for every 10 people you work with or know..if you unlucky its 50/50. You cant hang people when they make mistakes...we all make some...
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Emu View Post

It is not speculative knowledge ... based on the victim’s own statements she has been terrorized by Voynov on several occasions and in this particularly violent attack her head was literally smashed through a television set to culiminate a violent incident that neighbors confirm lasted at least ~ 30 minutes. This is stuff that has gone on for years, based on the victim’s own statements given freely at the hospital during the aftermath of nearly being beaten to death.

There was another poster who said something like “oh staying with him after this attack makes her just as despicable as him.” No, actually you are despicable for thinking this, let alone typing it into a public forum. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

Anyone who supports this guy is a BAD PERSON. Full stop. He fled the country instead of actually facing any punishment for his absolutely heinous and disgusting criminal activity repeatedly directed at the woman who loves him so much. He is not a “rehabilitated criminal,” he is a scumbag who gamed the system to continue making millions of dollars in the KHL without facing any real consequences for his vile behavior.

I guess if Fantasy hockey is more important to you than having principles, go ahead and sign him.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Fair enough..she is still married to SV and they had a child together as well after the incident. I'm sure DH didn't intend to kill his teammate but what he did was inexcusable as well. A family lost a son because of what he did. Anyways should be interesting. I'm not defending Slava but I think he paid his dues and deserves a second chance.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Elpidio1975 View Post
    Fair enough..she is still married to SV and they had a child together as well after the incident. I'm sure DH didn't intend to kill his teammate but what he did was inexcusable as well. A family lost a son because of what he did. Anyways should be interesting. I'm not defending Slava but I think he paid his dues and deserves a second chance.
    Except neither guy faced any consequences for their behavior. Voynov didn’t “pay his dues.” He escaped back to Russia instead of perhaps going to prison in the US, and proceeded to make millions of dollars in the KHL. This isn’t a redemption story, folks.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin