Thread: Slava Voynov

Administrator

Default Re: Slava Voynov

Players won't want to rock the boat so they'll turn a blind eye

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Monster

To be clear, Ray Rice didn't get another job because he wasn't a useful contributor anymore. His domestic violence incident was the reason, but a team would have signed him if they thought he would be a useful player. He wasn't anymore.

Dobber Sports Icon

Someones going to get all twisted up about my next comment- but in this day and age it really needs to be said:

The other thing here is that there is so much stigma attached to domestic violence that people want to throw out the formalities and just get their pitch forks out. With Ray it was "clear cut" agression and violence. There is a whole shit ton of grey area in the realm of domestic incidents and we arent privvy to all the details here. YES domestic violence is abhorrent but their are different levels of abhorrence. I had a friend get charged because she dumped a glass of wine on her ex-husbands head. I also had a male friend charegd (by the police- NOT his gf and YES they can do that in Canada)- for pushing his girlfriend off of him after being punched in the face repeatedly- and there were several wtnesses. The police didnt like him and he said something stupid- bada boom, badda bing- domestic charge. Im not advocating domestic violence (at all) but not every incident is Ray Rice. Only Voynov and his wife no the whole story here and excommunicating him from the league based on speculative knowledge of the incident seems overzealous...
    14 team cap league (30 mil above nhl)
    Daily Changes- 3c 3rw 3lw 3 forward flex 5d 2g 8bn ir+
    Weekly hth - g a p ppp shp pim sog +/- gwg - w sv% so gaa saves
    27 man farm team - no cap - junior team can hold prospects to up till 3 years
    C Kadri Ziba Gallagher
    Rw P Kane Tarasenko Neal
    Lw Forberg Hall Skinner
    Flex E Kane Perron Buchnevich
    D Hamilton Eckholm C Miller Sergachev Klef-Bomb
    G Andersen Quick
    BN Tuch Vanek Maroon Hartman Camel Toe Rutta Smith Saros
    IR- J Anderson- w/ enough capsapce to sub in (barely)
    Notable prospects and farm- Tippett Eriksson-Ek Heed Hayden
    Cap 104.4 out of 105

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by iscooter204 View Post
    Ray Rice's wife did as well. Pretty sure their bank accounts have a bit more to do with it, let alone all of the psychological aspects that all domestic abuse victims go through. It's terrible that Voynov will get another contract, but it's gonna happen. The interesting thing will be how his new teammates will treat him, it could fracture a locker room or the boys can turn a blind eye who knows. People totally do have a right to earn a living, but at the upper echelon? Generally, rehabilitated criminals have a hard time getting a job let alone a contract that will set them up for life. Morals should be something the owners apply here, but they won't, winning trumps all unless there's a video tape.

I'm not so sure fans will stay quiet about this, if it happens, and that may force GMs to reconsider. I could easily see a loud minority of fans voicing their displeasure (with the majority leaning more towards apathy, I assume) and that might be good for everybody involved... except Voynov, of course. But no one is stopping him from going home and playing. I'm sure he's making decent money over there.
    In that sense, maybe the NHL should just step back and see what the fans want.

I don't think "all domestic abuse victims go through psychological aspects." This one, in particular, gets very little sympathy from me as I believe (based on speculation only, no proof forthcoming) that she's staying for the money. For me, that makes her almost as despicable as him.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Emu View Post
    Someones going to get all twisted up about my next comment- but in this day and age it really needs to be said:

The other thing here is that there is so much stigma attached to domestic violence that people want to throw out the formalities and just get their pitch forks out. With Ray it was "clear cut" agression and violence. There is a whole shit ton of grey area in the realm of domestic incidents and we arent privvy to all the details here. YES domestic violence is abhorrent but their are different levels of abhorrence. I had a friend get charged because she dumped a glass of wine on her ex-husbands head. I also had a male friend charegd (by the police- NOT his gf and YES they can do that in Canada)- for pushing his girlfriend off of him after being punched in the face repeatedly- and there were several wtnesses. The police didnt like him and he said something stupid- bada boom, badda bing- domestic charge. Im not advocating domestic violence (at all) but not every incident is Ray Rice. Only Voynov and his wife no the whole story here and excommunicating him from the league based on speculative knowledge of the incident seems overzealous...
    Well said, kudos.

Dobber Sports Immortal

I dont think he will have an issue finding an NHL job at all. There will be plenty of teams lining up for his services.

10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, JaBenn, Couture, Wheeler, Lee, Turris, Letang, Kucherov, Byfuglien, Burns, Zuccarello, Hoffman, JSchwartz, KPalmieri, KConnor, Athanasiou, Bjorkstrand, Point, KHayes, Konecny, Vrana, NSchmaltz

G- Vasilevskiy, Bobrovsky

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

Just like everyone has their own opinion, NHL teams will have their opinion as well. I'm sure many of them will avoid him.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Emu View Post

I understand what you're saying about not every situation being the same, but this isn't some hush hush speculative situation. The guy plead down from a number of felony charges to a misdemeanor that landed him in jail for 90 days, got 3 years probation, and his lawyers decided it wasn't even worth fighting the immigration case. So in this case it's not speculation, he admitted guilt, and was punished for it. So at least there isn't a grey area around this specific case. Although again, totally understand what you're saying, since even this and the Rice situation were considerably different.

The only debate I really see here is whether any team is willing to test the backlash in the court of public opinion for hiring someone with his past in the current social climate.

Dobber Sports Padawan

The only difference is film vs no film, here’s her statement she may have been the aggressor to start with but he finished it. He’s a professional athlete and she’s 1/2 his size. Give me a break:

Voynov’s wife, Marta Varlamova, told police in October 2014 that her husband punched her left jaw outside of a Halloween party. The dispute continued at the couple’s Redondo Beach home, according to the police report, where Voynov choked her with both hands three times, repeatedly pushed her to the ground, kicked her five to six times on the ground and eventually shoved her into the corner of a flat-screen television mounted on a wall.

“My blood, all over bedroom and bathroom,” Varlamova told police in a recorded interview. “And it’s not the first time.”

16 Team H2H Dynasty
    G A Pt +/- PIM SoG PPP H+B FOW
    W Svs GAA Sv% SO

C Kuzy Wenneberg Dvorak Eller
    LW Domi Aho Ritchie Sobotka
    RW Tarasenko J Williams Laine Sheary
    D Klefbom M Rielly Spurgeon Provorov Lindell MacAvoy
    R Sheahan Cogliano Kase Schmaltz Ellis Anston-Reese Tolvanen

G Rinne MAF
    R Kuemper

M White Bjork Klostin Raddysh Senyshyn Soderstorm DeSmith Gilles

10 Team Salary H2H Dynasty
    FOW G A SOG 2G+A STP H+B
    W L Svs GAA Sv% SO

C Giroux MacKinnon Zibby Kuzy
    LW Laine Huberdeau Guentzel
    RW Draisaitl Marner Buchnevich
    D Josi Faulk OEL McAvoy Dumba
    R Koency Okposo Tolvanen McAvoy Miller

G Bishop Raanta
    R Schneider

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Bazz View Post
    The only difference is film vs no film, here?s her statement she may have been the aggressor to start with but he finished it. He?s a professional athlete and she?s 1/2 his size. Give me a break:

Voynov?s wife, Marta Varlamova, told police in October 2014 that her husband punched her left jaw outside of a Halloween party. The dispute continued at the couple?s Redondo Beach home, according to the police report, where Voynov choked her with both hands three times, repeatedly pushed her to the ground, kicked her five to six times on the ground and eventually shoved her into the corner of a flat-screen television mounted on a wall.

?My blood, all over bedroom and bathroom,? Varlamova told police in a recorded interview. ?And it?s not the first time.?

I read that much of this "statement" may have been lost in translation. The police couldn't understand her and (for some reason) did not get an interpreter.
    He obviously behaved like a criminal and deserved to go to jail, don't get me wrong, but there's much more to this story than we know about. Only those 2 people know exactly what happened.

Oh, and as for... "Not the first time" - ok, well... how about not getting back together with him?! Otherwise, there will never be a last time young lady. Find some big sunglasses and good concealer.

Dobber Sports Icon

This topic can be pretty polarizing so Im going to bow out. I wasnt privy to those details but I actually still stand by the spirit of my post. In my experience on this planet this damsel in distress narrative is the aberration not the norm. There are almost always factors, quirks, dynamics under the surface operating that we dont know about. Ive seen domestic violence happen and its horrifying- maybe Im world weary but it just seems like so often its a two person enterprise with both being active participants. Anyways I hope shes ok and in theory hes paid his dues- maybe hes reformed? Ive just lost my passion for armchair sentencing in these cases- lol! I dont have an issue if he plays (and if he scores 25+ from the blueline I might even draft him)- but if he doesnt Im not going to shed any tears...
    14 team cap league (30 mil above nhl)
    Daily Changes- 3c 3rw 3lw 3 forward flex 5d 2g 8bn ir+
    Weekly hth - g a p ppp shp pim sog +/- gwg - w sv% so gaa saves
    27 man farm team - no cap - junior team can hold prospects to up till 3 years
    C Kadri Ziba Gallagher
    Rw P Kane Tarasenko Neal
    Lw Forberg Hall Skinner
    Flex E Kane Perron Buchnevich
    D Hamilton Eckholm C Miller Sergachev Klef-Bomb
    G Andersen Quick
    BN Tuch Vanek Maroon Hartman Camel Toe Rutta Smith Saros
    IR- J Anderson- w/ enough capsapce to sub in (barely)
    Notable prospects and farm- Tippett Eriksson-Ek Heed Hayden
    Cap 104.4 out of 105