Thread: Trading up to #3

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Trading up to #3

I hold picks 2, 8, 12, 15, 23, 24, 26 in our upcoming rookie draft. We can keep up to 35 rookies <100gp and there are 11 teams, so we have over 300 owned already, so the picks really only apply to this years draft (Dahlin, Svech, etc).

The hold of pick 3 is willing to trade down for multiple rookie or main draft picks.

Would you move 8,12,15,23,24,26 for the #3 to get likely both Svech and Zadina? Or Dahlin + 1 of the two. Lots of good players were available last year at 8+ and even 12+ (Necas, Suzuki, Thomas, Tolvanen all went picks 16+ and I landed Suzuki and Tolvanen out of them).

That being said, given there are less top forwards this year, and I'll emphasize that D are criminally undervalued in my pool (we keep 10, 1 having to be a D, and almost all teams only keep 1D). It is points only. Given their value, I wonder if it is better to go for the near sure-fire pick in Zadina.

Thoughts?

The Great One

Default Re: Trading up to #3

Depends on what your minors looks like. If you can keep 35 minors and you have a great minors already, then yes - I'd trade a whack of picks to move up to third. Alternatively, if you have a lot of empty spots or crappy players in those spots, then 6 first round NHL picks seems more appealing that 3rd overall. Context matters.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I would say I have one of the better groups. I'm sitting around 30 prospects (I traded a bunch of low quality rookies for a pick upgrade).

Main names..

Strome
    Mittelstadt
    Tolvanen
    Borgstrom
    Vilardi
    Heponiemi
    Kyrou
    Gusev
    Kostin
    Batherson
    Saros
    Gillies
    Theodore

Dobber Sports Wizard

That's too many picks to give up. With ~350 prospects owned, all those picks should be keepers in your league. Just take your time and get to know the draft class, and you'll find great value with those picks (similar to what seems to have happened to you last year).

The Great One

Based on Wheeler's list, you'd be trading Zadina for Tkachuk, Dobson, Kravtsov, Kupari, Hayton and Hallender.

With 35 spots, I go with JP here. Very hard to do unless you main roster is small and you absolutely need home runs....

Dobber Sports Prodigy

OK, well what would be a fair offer of my picks for #3 be?

The Magnificent One

I would offer 8 and 15 and see what he says. Otherwise give 8 and 23 and 26. Still really good players at that level.

Don't give all those picks
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

The Great One

I would also offer pick 8, and one other pick...as a starting point. Then let him counter. With 35 spots, you have miles of room for holding prospects.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I've been contemplating moving up to 3. It'll cost 10ovr in 18' a 19' 1st (8-20 range) and two 18' 4th rounders (60-80 range). I think a zadina, Tkachuck, whalstrom is worth that. That's the cost in my league and I'm guessing that's about right in Ops league. Ops situation is different though with such a deep prospect pool and I'm with the others in thinking he's better off not moving up and going quantity. Still lots of quality in those spots. Who doesn't like quantity and quality?
    5.5X Champs
    20 Team Dynasty (Unique Cap) H2H 23 Man roster - 20 Minor
    G,A,SOG,PIM,HIT,BLK,FO%,2G+A,D-pts,STG,GWG+SHP+ShootoutG
    W,SV%,GAA,SO Start 4 C,LW,RW/6D/2G Min 3 start/ 3Bench/6IR

C-Hischier,W.Nylander,
    Benn
    LW-Guentzel,B.Tkachuk
    ,Marchand,Gaudreau
    RW-A.Svechnikov,M.Tkachuk,Duclair,Mantha
    D-Provorov,McAvoy,Gudas,Doughty,Dunn,McDonagh
    G-Hart,Vanecek
    B-
    Brannstrom,Crouse
    Prospects
    Rossi,Berggren,Sillinger,Giv.Smith,Perreault,Kaspe r,Gauthier,Miroshnichenko,R.Johnson
    Perunovich,Salo,Capobianco,Mackey,Woo,Benning,A.Jo hansson,Thrun
    Skinner,Martin,Ingram,Fedotov
    ​Entry Draft 5 Rds [<60gp] '23 2,3,3,5
    Cap 77.82M/82.5M

Twitter @MatsonHockey