Thread: Rinne vs Flowers going forward

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Rinne vs Flowers going forward

I have a chance to grab one of them in a trade with same value. I also have both of the handcuffs ( Subban & Saros ). Which one do you think will be better investment long term?
    Yahoo Full keeper Dynasty League |20 Teams, 23 Roster spots 4C 4LW 4RW 6D 2G 3BN
    Categories: G A +- PPP PIM FOW SOG HITS BLK | W SV GAA SV% SHO
    C - Crosby | Trocheck | Backstrom | Danault | Aho
    LW - Marchessault | Hertl
    | Fiala | Jost
    RW - Rantanen | Palmieri
    | Meier | Pavelski | Puljujarvi
    D - Ristolainen | Zadorov | C. Murphy
    | | Trouba | Edmundson | Giordano
    G -
    Fleury | Saros | Markström
    IR: Zucker
    Farm
    C - Borgstrom |
    Heponiemi | Hawryluk
    LW -
    RW - Tolvanen
    D - Juolevi
    G - Sorokin, Vehviläinen

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Rinne vs Flowers going forward

I think I would go with MAF. I think Saros is much more likely to take over in NSH.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter9 View Post
    I think I would go with MAF. I think Saros is much more likely to take over in NSH.
    he has Saros so that doesn't really matter a whole lot. more or less, I think I agree - MAF will get more starts himself vs. Rinne next year, which gives him more individual value IMO.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Administrator

Who is Flowers?

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I disagree, I think it does matter. All things considered, I would prefer the starter that is less likely to be replaced.

He does have both handcuffs, but if we believe Saros is more likely to replace Rinne (than Subban replace MAF) that means that Rinne's value is more likely to fall sooner than MAFs. Further, if we think Saros is more likely to replace Rinne, wouldn't you want the most likely shot at two starters?

Dobber Sports Jedi

I disagree, I think it does matter. All things considered, I would prefer the starter that is less likely to be replaced.

He does have both handcuffs, but if we believe Saros is more likely to replace Rinne (than Subban replace MAF) that means that Rinne's value is more likely to fall sooner than MAFs. Further, if we think Saros is more likely to replace Rinne, wouldn't you want the most likely shot at two starters?
    and take MAF (flowers) - so you'd have Fleury & Saros - 2 starters?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Exactly. Correct me if I am wrong, but you said since he has both handcuffs, it doesn't really matter. I am saying it does matter, identifying which goalie is more likely to be replaced by their handcuff is very important in the decision.

I was saying, since I think Saros is more likely to take over in NSH (compared to Subban in VGK), that makes Rinne the easier drop relative to Fleury.

Dobber Sports Jedi

I'll mostly correct you. I said this, emphasis bolded
    Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    he has Saros so that doesn't really matter a whole lot. more or less, I think I agree - MAF will get more starts himself vs. Rinne next year, which gives him more individual value IMO.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    You also said this said this, which is what I was replying to. But it looks like we both agree on who he should keep.

Dobber Sports Jedi

You also said this said this, which is what I was replying to. But it looks like we both agree on who he should keep.
    we do. I said it doesn't matter 'a whole lot' but the edge in option I gave to MAF - for the same reason.

The Great One

Exactly. Correct me if I am wrong, but you said since he has both handcuffs, it doesn't really matter. I am saying it does matter, identifying which goalie is more likely to be replaced by their handcuff is very important in the decision.

I was saying, since I think Saros is more likely to take over in NSH (compared to Subban in VGK), that makes Rinne the easier drop relative to Fleury.
    I agree with your choice (MAF), but not with your logic. Both MAF and Rinne are signed for one more year. I can definitely see MAF re-signing in Vegas and being in a good situation; I'm not very high on Subban's outlook. I could also see Saro's taking over after next year, BUT...Rinne very likely would still land a starting gig somewhere else.

I like MAF for two reasons: (1) he's two years younger, so I expect him to be around longer; and (2) I expect he'll stay in Vegas, which should mean he puts up great numbers. I wouldn't be surprised if Rinne moves away from Nashville after this year, and let's face it - anywhere he goes will be a less desirable place than what he had.

Edit: keep in mind, he doens't have to drop one of Rinne or MAF. He has the chance to trade for either guy, at the same price.
    I think the handcuff's are irrelevant to whether one trades for MAF or Rinne. Trade for the goalie that will give you the best stats. I think that's MAF.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

This is tough. I want neither long-term, so I'd be looking short-term only. Only 1 year left on both contracts, and I think both will get contracts after this, if they want to keep playing.

Fleury has been good for wins his whole career, but unreliable in rate stats, sometimes wildly unreliable. This has been his best season by far. I'm not sure if due to a better defensive system in Vegas, high level of motivation, luck, or a combination of those and other things. The playoffs have elevated his value, as well. Subban is no threat to his job. Very likely to re-sign in Vegas.

Rinne has also been good for wins most of his career, but also has had some great years for rate stats as well. He's gotten deserved Vezina consideration in some years, which is more than Fleury has ever done. However, he's older, and has Saros, who I view as couple tiers above Subban talent-wise. Saros is more "the plan for the future", rather than a threat. Unlikely to re-sign in Nashville.

If you just want somebody for this year, I'd lean Rinne, since I trust him more. However, you seem to want to look longer-term, and I'd lean towards Fleury for that. I'd be looking to move him for a better or younger goalie, when and if the opportunity presents itself.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Flower I think Rinne is done after this year, I think MAF signs a 3-4 year extension after the 18-19 season with Vegas.
    16 Team H2H Dynasty
    G A Pt PIM SoG PPP H+B FOW DZS
    W Svs GAA Sv%

C Scheifele Tavares Dvorack Eller
    LW Domi Aho Ritchie Vrana
    RW Tarasenko J Williams Laine Sheary
    D Klefbom M Rielly Spurgeon Provorov Ellis Dahlin
    R White Kase Schmaltz Thomas Anston-Reese Lindell Theodore

G McEhlinney C Anderson
    R Kuemper

M Bjork Raddysh Kravtsov Ylonen Soderstorm Gilles Gustavsson Point Khakonen Delia Hill