Thread: Craig Button final list draft 2018

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Craig Button final list draft 2018

Dobber Sports Legend

Default Re: Craig Button final list draft 2018

Wow, Boqvist at 12?

Dobber Sports Pro

He was very critical of Boqvist's compete level at the U18s...hence the drop.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Wow, Boqvist at 12?
    Yeah crazy him and Hughes swapped spots from last ranking

Kupari and Groulx both Took nose dives too from his last ranking too.

Dobber Sports Legend

Now it appears Zadina is the combine whipping boy according to some "experts" (not Button however). If players like Zadina and Boqvist drop, there are going to be some very happy teams and boneheaded looking GM's questioning their sanity in a few years.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Now it appears Zadina is the combine whipping boy according to some "experts" (not Button however). If players like Zadina and Boqvist drop, there are going to be some very happy teams and boneheaded looking GM's questioning their sanity in a few years.
    How many pull-ups did he do?

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    How many pull-ups did he do?
    Probably a few more than Mittelstadt last year.

I never understood the fascination with the combine and placing significant emphasis on physical / strength testing, etc.. It always seemed to me like it's an excuse for "hockey people" to justify their existence and pretend they're the smartest people in the room.

In high school I played for one of the top schools in my state, even one of the better ones in the country at the time, and I'll never forget something our coach said.
    Sophomore year tryouts, a new kid came in and was flying all over the place... man could this kid scoot. We all looked at him and were floored, like, "he's taking someone's spot." The coach heard a bunch of us "oohing and ahhing" and I was near the boards when I heard him say to the assistant coach, "great skater, but let's see what he does with the stick... that's what counts." Turns out, the kid couldn't score for squat and ended up just making JV and fizzling out after a year.

A very interesting story about Mario Lemieux in his biography...

When he showed up to Penguins training camp his rookie season, he took his turn at the weight bench. Mario was 6-3, 180 at the time, give or take, and they put 125 on the bar. The other players were pressing this 20 times, some without even breaking a sweat. Mario laid down, tried to press it once, and couldn't. He took a deep breath, tried again, and couldn't get it up. 125 plus bar... couldn't bench it once... couldn't come close to pressing his own weight. He got up, didn't say a word, and walked away.

One of the bigger, stronger veterans on the team (I believe it was Warren Young if memory serves me correctly) turned to the other guys, pointed at Lemieux (who was walking away quietly) and says, "this guy is our franchise?!" An hour later, they took to the ice, and after 30 mins of watching Mario dismantle the entire team in a scrimmage, Young said to his same teammates, "yep, he's our franchise."

All anyone needs to do is look at Wayne Gretzky and Rod Brind'Amour side by side and realize most of this combine stuff is hocus pocus.

It’s not surprising that Boqvist would drop among scouts. He’s very risky. He’s not good defensively at this time and is small. A player like him is not usually pick in the top 10. Hughes is better in all areas

Dobber Sports Sage

Did Kaut get dinged due to his heart issue? Veleno at 28, Bokk at 30 and Miller 31 are all a lot lower than most.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Button's lists are usually among my least favourite of the top tier media scouts.
    Interesting to see Hayton at 7... that's MUCH higher than everybody else.
    Offering up the Bergeron comparison is pretty bold - as Bergeron was a high-level scorer in just his 2nd NHL year.
    I want to root for Hayton, but I think he'll take more of the longer Couturier path, if he levels up to a very solid two way C1.

Most of the rest of Button's top 10 looks in line. His 11-on list does stray a lot from other lists.

Dobber Sports Pro

I always look forward to Button's lists. He lets his freak flag fly and calls 'em as he sees 'em. Pronman has written extensively this year about how fans would be astounded at how much draft lists vary from team to team. Most of the criticisms of one list or another focus on how much it differs from consensus, but the consensus doesn't get it completely right every year - they miss players who become stars and they overrate players who bust or become middling contributors.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Button's lists are usually among my least favourite of the top tier media scouts.
    Interesting to see Hayton at 7... that's MUCH higher than everybody else.
    Offering up the Bergeron comparison is pretty bold - as Bergeron was a high-level scorer in just his 2nd NHL year.
    I want to root for Hayton, but I think he'll take more of the longer Couturier path, if he levels up to a very solid two way C1.

Most of the rest of Button's top 10 looks in line. His 11-on list does stray a lot from other lists.
    He also had Barzal at 7 - much higher than most others. He nails some prospects so well, but misses others just as much.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Shift Disturber View Post
    I always look forward to Button's lists. He lets his freak flag fly and calls 'em as he sees 'em. Pronman has written extensively this year about how fans would be astounded at how much draft lists vary from team to team. Most of the criticisms of one list or another focus on how much it differs from consensus, but the consensus doesn't get it completely right every year - they miss players who become stars and they overrate players who bust or become middling contributors.
    This. Exactly.

I try not to take any ranking as gospel, just kind of take it all in and take note of the guys that are super low and super high on bold rankers.

Like for example Kotkaniemi being 4/5 on both Pronman and Buttons list really interests me, but maybe he's just a late riser.

Dobber Sports Monster

All I can say is after 9 or 10, this first round is probably going to be all over the place anyways.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry