Thread: Philly's net

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Philly's net

Just trying to figure out next seasons situation. I can't help but think it will be Elliot's net to lose... Looks like neuvirth will need time to rehab for a while and then need ahl tuning. Mrazek looked good and then terrible.... May be in different colours next season im thinking. Alex Lyon could be the dark horse? 94 saves on 95 shots for the phantoms in the playoffs for a league record quintuple overtime win. Maybe if he gets a shot he can run with it, who knows. Anyone have any other insight?
    Fwds: Benn, Hertl, Backstrom, Coleman, W.Karlsson, Marchand, Mcdavid, Bergeron, A.svechnikov, Malkin, W.Nylander, toffoli.

Dfnse: Deangelo, Fox, Hronek, Ristolainen, Giordano, Letang

Goalie: Samsonov, Binnington

Rsrvs: Radulov, bjorkstrand, buchnevich, krebs, sanford, Grzelcyk, Suter, M.Lehtonen, Severson, Spurgeon, K'andre Miller, Allen, Mrazek, Prosvetov, Vanecek

12-team Keeper. Rotisserie.
    G,A,+/-,Hits,Blks,Pim,Sog,PPP,HT,SHPTS,W,Spct,Gaa,SO,Svs

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Philly's net

Amazingly, you haven't covered all the in-house options. In 2016-17 Anthony Stolarz was a solid AHL goalie, who saw some NHL time, and played very well in the NHL.

Here's my take on the options:

1. Mrazek. He will not be a Flyer next year. He's talented, but has been very poor lately. He needs to get into camp with a team and get back to where he was a few years ago. I was hopeful that he would play well with the Flyers, but it didn't happen.

2. Elliott. Excluding his time with the Blues, he has put up as many above average seasons in net as I have, and to be clear that is zero. He's a stopgap who was not the right stopgap to get when they got him last year, but they needed somebody. One more year under contract, and then he's no longer a Flyer, if he's still on the roster to start the year. This also could be his last year in the league. He is quite capable of losing the net due to injury or subpar play.

3. Neuvirth. More talented than Elliott, but sketchier health record. He's a solid backup or even a 1B tandem goalie, but can't count on his health.
    Very likely to be the backup. One more year on his contract, like Elliott.

4. Lyon/Stolarz. These are the next 2 guys on the organizational depth chart right now. One of these guys should be in Philly next year, but will they be? Lyon is a RFA, so if he moves on, then Stolarz is the default winner of this battle. Stolarz was hurt all year, though. I really think one of these guys is in Philly for a significant amount of time, dues to their being nobody with a contract past 2018-19 ahead of them. Which one is a coin flip right now.

Also, with Carter Hart & Felix Sandstrom likely to be playing in the AHL with the Phantoms, both of these guys need to move up or out. I could see Hart at the ECHL level for a bit, but that doesn't seem like it would last long.

In short, it's a muddled mess.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Ace

I pretty much agree with gamer on this. The one thing id add/change is Elliott. I think he's a bit better than gamer gave him credit for. His issue imo is he's a tweener. He's not quite good enough to be a clear cut starter/stud and he's too good (and expensive) to be a clear cut back up. I think he plays well enough (in general) to allow a team to win, but he's not the guy that will win the game for you. He's, in himself, a muddled mess in a sense.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    Amazingly, you haven't covered all the in-house options. In 2016-17 Anthony Stolarz was a solid AHL goalie, who saw some NHL time, and played very well in the NHL.

Here's my take on the options:

1. Mrazek. He will not be a Flyer next year. He's talented, but has been very poor lately. He needs to get into camp with a team and get back to where he was a few years ago. I was hopeful that he would play well with the Flyers, but it didn't happen.

2. Elliott. Excluding his time with the Blues, he has put up as many above average seasons in net as I have, and to be clear that is zero. He's a stopgap who was not the right stopgap to get when they got him last year, but they needed somebody. One more year under contract, and then he's no longer a Flyer, if he's still on the roster to start the year. This also could be his last year in the league. He is quite capable of losing the net due to injury or subpar play.

3. Neuvirth. More talented than Elliott, but sketchier health record. He's a solid backup or even a 1B tandem goalie, but can't count on his health.
    Very likely to be the backup. One more year on his contract, like Elliott.

4. Lyon/Stolarz. These are the next 2 guys on the organizational depth chart right now. One of these guys should be in Philly next year, but will they be? Lyon is a RFA, so if he moves on, then Stolarz is the default winner of this battle. Stolarz was hurt all year, though. I really think one of these guys is in Philly for a significant amount of time, dues to their being nobody with a contract past 2018-19 ahead of them. Which one is a coin flip right now.

Also, with Carter Hart & Felix Sandstrom likely to be playing in the AHL with the Phantoms, both of these guys need to move up or out. I could see Hart at the ECHL level for a bit, but that doesn't seem like it would last long.

In short, it's a muddled mess.
    Great post!! It is a very crowded situation... with no standout option at all. Stolarz and Lyon are both RFA this summer... and Elliot and Neuvirty are both being paid around 2.5M for one more season. Then the two young guns... they need somewhere to play and and improve there game...

And don't forget that Bryzgalov is getting paid for the next 15 years.

I saw in another thread that Philly needs to get a starting goalie and not waste the window while Giroux, Simmonds and Voracek can keep up.... but with the goalie mess it would be very hard to do and there are very limited options this summer. Not to mention it would probable cost Hart or Sandstrom to do it.

It probably wouldn't hurt to send Neuvirth and Elliot off to Brygalov Island if there is a way. haha

Dobber Sports Jedi

There's not a lot of starting options that are available... Dell ? costly, Grubaurer - Wsh isn't trading him within the division. Lehner may be the best option out there, an RFA, but Buf seems to want a change - a G for G+ swap? Lehner's numbers, everything considered (shitty Buffalo team) has bee decent

Best option would be to move one of their 2 G's - Elliott (maybe retain some salary so he becomes a palatable back up to a competing team? Or Chi.) bring in Lehner or Dell on a shorter deal possibly move one of their G's out with an add.

Hutton
    Bernier
    Khudobin
    Ward
    Halak
    Lehtonen

are your best UFAs
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Great post!! It is a very crowded situation... with no standout option at all. Stolarz and Lyon are both RFA this summer... and Elliot and Neuvirty are both being paid around 2.5M for one more season. Then the two young guns... they need somewhere to play and and improve there game...

And don't forget that Bryzgalov is getting paid for the next 15 years.

I saw in another thread that Philly needs to get a starting goalie and not waste the window while Giroux, Simmonds and Voracek can keep up.... but with the goalie mess it would be very hard to do and there are very limited options this summer. Not to mention it would probable cost Hart or Sandstrom to do it.

It probably wouldn't hurt to send Neuvirth and Elliot off to Brygalov Island if there is a way. haha
    Neither of those guys needs to get bought out. It's a 1 year deal, quite easy to eat, however one will be on the roster, barring something amazing.

I think Elliott will be (and has been) generally a bit below average, barring a defensive mastermind running that side of the team. He'd be a good tandem guy or backup for a team coached by a Hitchcock type. I think they could trade him for something, if choose to go that route.

I think Neuvirth has less value compared to Elliott, although he's been good in different systems, he's never been a solid starter.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    There's not a lot of starting options that are available... Dell ? costly, Grubaurer - Wsh isn't trading him within the division. Lehner may be the best option out there, an RFA, but Buf seems to want a change - a G for G+ swap? Lehner's numbers, everything considered (shitty Buffalo team) has bee decent

Best option would be to move one of their 2 G's - Elliott (maybe retain some salary so he becomes a palatable back up to a competing team? Or Chi.) bring in Lehner or Dell on a shorter deal possibly move one of their G's out with an add.

Hutton
    Bernier
    Khudobin
    Ward
    Halak
    Lehtonen

are your best UFAs
    They need to move one out to get another vet, I feel.

The UFA's are uninspiring, other than Khudobin. I want no part of Lehner, he seems to be a head case, and this is a stopgap situation, hopefully. I'd rather bring Mrazek back cheaply than Lehner, and hope a training camp gets him on the same page. I'm also sure I don't want to that, as excited as I was when the Flyers got him, he disappointed badly.

Dobber Sports Legend

The Flyers have coveted Bernier for many years. Wouldn't be surprised to see them offer him a 2 year deal and platoon with Elliott.

Dobber Sports Master

ouch , 4+ m to qualify mrazek . I suppose they can make a side deal that allows him to hit free agency with the intent on resigning a cheaper ''prove myself'' type deal in the 2 mil range .

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post

Hutton
    Bernier
    Khudobin
    Ward
    Halak
    Lehtonen

are your best UFAs
    Dell signed 2 year extension in SJ, i doubt they signed him to trade him....
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post
    Dell signed 2 year extension in SJ, i doubt they signed him to trade him....
    didn't see that - thx.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4