Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2018 FIFA World Cup ? Time to Pick My Team

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default 2018 FIFA World Cup ? Time to Pick My Team

So here's the deal: I know virtually nothing about soccer, I do not follow any of the professional leagues and do not care for or about the sport much. That being said it is time for the World Cup and coverage will dominate SportsCentre for the next several months and I need a team to support.

The Factors
    I?m Canadian- apparently we did not qualify for approximately the billionth straight time.
    I have no strong family or cultural allegiances to any of the teams that advanced.
    I?d like a team that is not a heavy favourite (no Brazil) but has a solid chance to advance to the elimination round.

So, make your case for the team I should cheer for. Tell me about their star player, their amazing run to the World Cup, the inspirational child who supports them etc.

And go.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup ? Time to Pick My Team

I know about as much as you... but cheering for Russia should be an option. Underdogs, but has a host nation ever NOT advanced to the knock out stage? Besides, it'll put you on an island with NA soccer fans - creating heightened excitement fending off hecklers
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Padawan

You seem like a France type of guy

Big Daddy

Here are eight choices, one from each group.

Group A: Uruguay
    Two time World Cup champions (1930, 1950). They have two stars but haven't been in a final since (3 fourth place finishes in that time). At one time they were a South American power house, those days have long passed but they are still right up there in behind Brazil and Argentina. You'd probably be surprised to know that they have the most Copa Amercia (South American championship) titles with 15. Argentina are second with 14 and Brazil third with 8. They are coming into the tournament as heavy favourites to win their group but not the entire tournament. They are my dark horse team to surprise and go on a deep run but their knock-out round path will not be easy. They also have a deadly goal scoring duo in Luis Suarez and Edison Cavani. They would likely be my top choice for you aside from Argentina (bias) who I will get to.

Group B: No One
    Spain is too heavy of a power house/favourite for your criteria and I couldn't bring myself to suggest Portugal. Hugely over-rated, much like England every tournament. They are a one man show in a very arrogant Ronaldo. Puke. Morocco and Iran aren't nearly strong enough to invest rooting interest.

Group C: Peru
    Most people don't have them making it out of a group with France, Denmark and Australia. I personally have them squeaking through in second place. This is Peru's first World Cup appearance since 1982 and it will only be their fourth appearance in the tournament all together. They are the minnows of South America (only two Copa America titles - 1939 & 1975). Their captain Paolo Guerrero just had his ban lifted by FIFA this morning and will be eligible to play. He was suspended by the federation for "doping" after they found traces of cocoa in his system. He wasn't doing cocaine though, it was in a tea he drank and that is legit. He was absolutely devastated by the suspension. The team captains of France, Denmark and Australia all signed a petition to have him reinstated for the tournament. I'm sure he is destined to make the most of his opportunity. Here is your feel good story to root for.

Group D: Argentina
    Now hear me out. They actually aren't a heavy favourite as they usually are heading into the finals. They struggled mightily in South American qualification and relied on a Leo Messi hat-trick in the final game of qualification to book their ticket to Russia. They also burned through several coaches in the process and the man they settled on isn't exactly the people of Argentina's first choice. He also plans to deploy tactics that are very unconventional and really unheard of but I won't get into that since you said you aren't a soccer guy. This will also be Leo Messi's last chance to win the biggest trophy in the world. Wouldn't you want to see the best player of all-time win the biggest prize in sport?

Group E: Costa Rica
    This one is a long shot (I don't even have them advancing out of the group) but what a story it would be if they could duplicate their 2014 tournament success. Believe it or not, but they topped their group by beating both Uruguay and Italy and drawing England. Absolutely incredible. They went on to defeat Greece in penalty kicks to advance to the quarter-finals until losing on penalties to eventual 3rd place finishers Holland. Story book run for them. I highly doubt we this this kind of result from Costa Rica again but wouldn't that be something?

Group F: Mexico
    I think it is safe to label Mexico as an underachieved nation at the FIFA World Cup. Their best finish is getting to the quarter-finals twice (1970 &1986) and have been a staple in the World Cup for a Round of 16 exit, being eliminated in the first knock-out phase the last SIX tournaments in a row! It would be great to finally see them advance to the final four and while you can't discount any outcome in this tournament, I don't think this is the year they get the monkey off their back. I have Mexico losing to Brazil in the Round of 16. It should be noted that Mexico and Brazil were in the same group last World Cup, drawing 0-0 but Mexico were the better team that day.

Group G: Belgium
    A team on the rise for sure. Belgium has zero international trophies but their day could be coming. They have been on the rise for the past 6 years or so. They suffered quarter-final exits in their last two major tournaments (2014 World Cup vs. Argentina & Euro 2016 vs. Wales). Many believe if a country were to win the World Cup that has never won one before, Belgium will be that team.

Group H: Poland
    I'll give it to Poland here for similar reasons as Belgium, just not as likely to make noise in the tournament. They haven't qualified for a World Cup since 2006 but has had 2 bronze medals in 1974 & 1982 but this will only be their 8th appearance overall. Their European championship record is even worse having only qualified a surprising 3 times. Lost in the quarter-finals to Portugal on penalties in 2016 and couldn't make it out of the group stage in their previous two appearances. They also has a complete finisher in Robert Lewandowski.

So my final rankings for what you are looking for:
    1. Argentina
    2. Uruguay
    3. Belgium
    4. Mexico
    5. Peru
    6. Costa Rica
    7. Poland
    8. None of the above
    PAT QUINN MEMORIAL CUP
    Clouds of Blood
    12 Team Head-to-Head
    G-A-PPP-SOG-FW-HIT-BLK / W-GAA-SV%-SV
    24 Man Roster
    Keep: 6 Forwards, 4 Defencemen, 1 Goaltender & 1 Prospect
    Keepers:
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Aho
    LW - Panarin
    RW - Pastrnak
    D - Hedman, Hamilton, Doughty, Burns
    G - Markström
    P - Cayden Primeau

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by DusterDave View Post

...and I couldn't bring myself to suggest Portugal. Hugely over-rated, much like England every tournament.
    To be fair, the difference between England and Portugal arguably being fancied to high is historical context.

Just since the turn of this millennium, there have been 9 international tournaments available to both. Portugal has made the semi final at least 5 out of those 9 including two finals and a championship. England in the same time frame has never once bem past a quarter final, and even failed to qualify for one of those tournaments outright.

When taking into consideration the population of both countries, the resources they invest and strength of domestic league, they should not be in a conversation comparing expectations vs results in the slightest.

Saying that, I was going to suggest that if the OP wants to invite hate, Portugal is the team to as they are annoying af under Ronaldo?s reign.

Dobber Sports Expert

Cheer for Iceland. They'll appreciate your support.

Big Daddy

Now hear me out. They actually aren't a heavy favourite as they usually are heading into the finals. They struggled mightily in South American qualification and relied on a Leo Messi hat-trick in the final game of qualification to book their ticket to Russia. They also burned through several coaches in the process and the man they settled on isn't exactly the people of Argentina's first choice. He also plans to deploy tactics that are very unconventional and really unheard of but I won't get into that since you said you aren't a soccer guy. This will also be Leo Messi's last chance to win the biggest trophy in the world. Wouldn't you want to see the best player of all-time win the biggest prize in sport?
    Should have also mentioned Argentina is going into the tournament without their starting Goalkeeper. Sergio Romero was cut from the final list of 23 players after the team's first practice due to a knee injury. This is a massive loss for Argentina considering he has been the team's regular GK since 2009, earning 94 caps. He has also been the only GK used by Argentina at a World Cup since 2010 with 12 appearances in the tournament. Now the coach will turn to 3 goalkeepers with zero World Cup experience and only a combined total of 9 international matches between them. It is even rumoured that the likely favourite to start the tournament for the team will be Franco Armani who has zero international matches under his belt, this includes the youth ranks as well. This puts the team at a huge disadvantage.

Finally, and probably most important for you in regards to choosing a team to watch, Argentina will be a super fun team to watch. As I already mentioned, the coach is taking an unconventional approach when it comes to tactics and formation. I won't attempt to explain it myself, rather I will share a very interesting article explaining it all: https://golazoargentino.com/2018/05/27/why-jorge-sampaolis-critics-have-argentinas-potential-2-3-3-2-all-wrong/

Without knowing much about the sport, you will be able to pick up just how outside of the box his tactics and especially his formation will be from the article. And if that wasn't enough, his Right Back is likely to be Eduardo Salvio. This raises a lot of eye brows considering Salvio has never played D before and is normally an attacking winger in the midfield/forward position. This will make for some exciting matches to watch when Argentina plays.
    PAT QUINN MEMORIAL CUP
    Clouds of Blood
    12 Team Head-to-Head
    24 Man Roster
    Keepers:
    LW - Panarin
    RW - Pastrnak
    G - Markström
    P - Cayden Primeau

Dobber Sports Ace

Willy Cabellero in goal will def add excitement elements to Argentina games as well.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...r-12587427.amp

Or watching if Hernan Crespo’s allusions to backroom issues hood any merit.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/icard...u1ddfemkklbre1

Big Daddy

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Funke View Post
    Willy Cabellero in goal will def add excitement elements to Argentina games as well.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...r-12587427.amp

Or watching if Hernan Crespo’s allusions to backroom issues hood any merit.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/icard...u1ddfemkklbre1
    Argentina's GK is definitely between Willy Caballero and Franco Armani, with Nahuel Guzman being the odd man out. Caballero started Tuesday's friendly vs. Haiti and Armani is expected to start in Argentina's final match before the tournament next Saturday vs. Israel. If I were a betting man, I'd put my money on Armani. He is the regular starter for River Plate and is coming off a terrific season while Caballero didn't see much time this season as the backup for Man City.

As for Crespo's comments, I wouldn't put too much into them. I don't think the coach's decision of who to call up and who to exclude should ever be influenced by the team's star player but of course there is some exception, this being one of them. You literally have the world's greatest player at your disposal, you have to surround him with guys he is comfortable with. He also has a very strong bond with the likes of Javier Mascherno and Sergio Aguero, who are big pieces in the starting eleven while the youngsters on the team have been singing his praises since training camp has opened. The issue was the exclusion of Mauro Icardi who led the Italian Serie A with 29 goals. I'm not sure if you are familiar with the Icardi/Maxi Lopez story but if you aren't, it is something worth googling. Icardi has been known to have a bad attitude in the dressing room and hasn't produced in the limited action he was given with Argentina. While I'd much rather prefer Icardi to Higuain, he would definitely create some tension in the Argentina dressing room.
    PAT QUINN MEMORIAL CUP
    Clouds of Blood
    12 Team Head-to-Head
    24 Man Roster
    Keepers:
    LW - Panarin
    RW - Pastrnak
    G - Markström
    P - Cayden Primeau

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I honestly don't know much about the teams... but I know a little about Sweden in general... and their fans... thats who I would cheer for

Dobber Sports Ace

That’s why opposing fans sing chants like these toward the Swedish fans.

https://youtu.be/7Znw7Da1n6c

https://youtu.be/FTRgdtQGd5M

Dobber Sports Superstar

Here are eight choices, one from each group.

Group A: Uruguay
    Two time World Cup champions (1930, 1950). They have two stars but haven't been in a final since (3 fourth place finishes in that time). At one time they were a South American power house, those days have long passed but they are still right up there in behind Brazil and Argentina. You'd probably be surprised to know that they have the most Copa Amercia (South American championship) titles with 15. Argentina are second with 14 and Brazil third with 8. They are coming into the tournament as heavy favourites to win their group but not the entire tournament. They are my dark horse team to surprise and go on a deep run but their knock-out round path will not be easy. They also have a deadly goal scoring duo in Luis Suarez and Edison Cavani. They would likely be my top choice for you aside from Argentina (bias) who I will get to.

Spain is too heavy of a power house/favourite for your criteria and I couldn't bring myself to suggest Portugal. Hugely over-rated, much like England every tournament. They are a one man show in a very arrogant Ronaldo. Puke. Morocco and Iran aren't nearly strong enough to invest rooting interest.

Group C: Peru
    Most people don't have them making it out of a group with France, Denmark and Australia. I personally have them squeaking through in second place. This is Peru's first World Cup appearance since 1982 and it will only be their fourth appearance in the tournament all together. They are the minnows of South America (only two Copa America titles - 1939 & 1975). Their captain Paolo Guerrero just had his ban lifted by FIFA this morning and will be eligible to play. He was suspended by the federation for "doping" after they found traces of cocoa in his system. He wasn't doing cocaine though, it was in a tea he drank and that is legit. He was absolutely devastated by the suspension. The team captains of France, Denmark and Australia all signed a petition to have him reinstated for the tournament. I'm sure he is destined to make the most of his opportunity. Here is your feel good story to root for.

Group E: Costa Rica
    This one is a long shot (I don't even have them advancing out of the group) but what a story it would be if they could duplicate their 2014 tournament success. Believe it or not, but they topped their group by beating both Uruguay and Italy and drawing England. Absolutely incredible. They went on to defeat Greece in penalty kicks to advance to the quarter-finals until losing on penalties to eventual 3rd place finishers Holland. Story book run for them. I highly doubt we this this kind of result from Costa Rica again but wouldn't that be something?

Group F: Mexico
    I think it is safe to label Mexico as an underachieved nation at the FIFA World Cup. Their best finish is getting to the quarter-finals twice (1970 &1986) and have been a staple in the World Cup for a Round of 16 exit, being eliminated in the first knock-out phase the last SIX tournaments in a row! It would be great to finally see them advance to the final four and while you can't discount any outcome in this tournament, I don't think this is the year they get the monkey off their back. I have Mexico losing to Brazil in the Round of 16. It should be noted that Mexico and Brazil were in the same group last World Cup, drawing 0-0 but Mexico were the better team that day.

Group G: Belgium
    A team on the rise for sure. Belgium has zero international trophies but their day could be coming. They have been on the rise for the past 6 years or so. They suffered quarter-final exits in their last two major tournaments (2014 World Cup vs. Argentina & Euro 2016 vs. Wales). Many believe if a country were to win the World Cup that has never won one before, Belgium will be that team.

Group H: Poland
    I'll give it to Poland here for similar reasons as Belgium, just not as likely to make noise in the tournament. They haven't qualified for a World Cup since 2006 but has had 2 bronze medals in 1974 & 1982 but this will only be their 8th appearance overall. Their European championship record is even worse having only qualified a surprising 3 times. Lost in the quarter-finals to Portugal on penalties in 2016 and couldn't make it out of the group stage in their previous two appearances. They also has a complete finisher in Robert Lewandowski.

So my final rankings for what you are looking for:
    1. Argentina
    2. Uruguay
    3. Belgium
    4. Mexico
    5. Peru
    6. Costa Rica
    7. Poland
    8. None of the above
    Thanks for that amazing write-up! I've decided the 3 finalists are: Uruguay, Peru and Belgium. Tough call, when does the tourney start?
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    NO IR

Big Daddy

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    Thanks for that amazing write-up! I've decided the 3 finalists are: Uruguay, Peru and Belgium. Tough call, when does the tourney start?
    Here is the full broadcast schedule for Canada: https://www.tsn.ca/fifa-world-cup-on...dule-1.1095011

If you want to enjoy some knock-out rounds matches and experience some excitement after a big win I would discount Peru and decide between Uruguay or Belgium. Curious to know how you plan on deciding?
    PAT QUINN MEMORIAL CUP
    Clouds of Blood
    12 Team Head-to-Head
    24 Man Roster
    Keepers:
    LW - Panarin
    RW - Pastrnak
    G - Markström
    P - Cayden Primeau

Dobber Sports Stud

Belgium has a really talented squad that could do some serious damage.
    Iceland is just a really fun team to root for.
    France, even if it as to be considered among the favorites, has young and very exciting players.
    Points-only keeper league. 12 teams. Keep any 12 players. Dress 12F - 6D - 2G.

Dobber Sports Superstar

**BREAKING NEWS**

Using Beer and Chocolate as a tiebreaker LawMan has officially decided to throw his full support behind the Belgian Squad in this year's FIFA World Cup!!

The Belgians were reportedly excited and motivated by the news.

Next question: Which Belgian player's jersey should I purchase?
    NO IR