Thread: 5th overall?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default 5th overall?

For the league in my signature (note : SHOG means shootout goals and not shots on goal)

Got the 5th overall pick in next fall's draft.

I know it's still early and a lot can change after the actual draft, but for now I'm wondering who I should pick.

I'm pretty sure Svechnikov, Zadina and Dahlin will be gone (if not, I'm jumping onto whoever is left in that list!) and rumor has it that Tkachuk should be gone in the top 4 as well (in our league anyways).

So basically, I think I'm looking at choosing between Hughes, Boquist and Wahlstrom (if I forgot an obvious choice, please let me know).

Any advice on who I should target? Thanks!
    On a fantasy hockey break.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: 5th overall?

Wahlstrom
    16 Team H2H Dynasty
    G A Pt PIM SoG PPP H+B FOW DZS
    W Svs GAA Sv%

C Scheifele Tavares Dvorack Eller
    LW Domi Aho Ritchie Vrana
    RW Tarasenko J Williams Laine Sheary
    D Klefbom M Rielly Spurgeon Provorov Ellis Dahlin
    R White Kase Schmaltz Thomas Anston-Reese Lindell Theodore

G McEhlinney C Anderson
    R Kuemper

M Bjork Raddysh Kravtsov Ylonen Soderstorm Gilles Gustavsson Point Khakonen Delia Hill

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Bazz View Post
    Wahlstrom
    !!!
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Wizard

Since your league doesn't use SOG, Wahlstrom loses some of his shine. Looks like there some bonus for defensemen points and there's no hits either, so Quinn Hughes becomes very valuable. They're all very good options but I'd probably lean towards him. If defensemen are not worth as much as I think based on your signature, then Wahlstrom gains ground.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    Looks like there some bonus for defensemen points and there's no hits either, so Quinn Hughes becomes very valuable.
    Thanks!

The only bonus for defensemen is that a goal by a d-man gives you 1 extra point. You're right in that there are no hits.

Also, I don't remember if it was like that in the earlier years, but last year, it seems as thought good offensive defensemen were harder to come by than an "equivalent" forward, even thought they usually cost less at the auction. (I didn't start the year with the def in my signature, I had to trade A LOT to get that strong of a defensemen core. I actually started off with Goligoski, Zaitsev and Vlasic... Yikes!)

So yeah, if this year was any indication, good defensemen have a lot of value.

I seem to remember that Boquist had quite a shot, is it because of the fact that he hasn't translated that to the pro game yet (so less NHL certainty) that you put him after Hughes?

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Potatoeman View Post
    Thanks!

The only bonus for defensemen is that a goal by a d-man gives you 1 extra point. You're right in that there are no hits.

Also, I don't remember if it was like that in the earlier years, but last year, it seems as thought good offensive defensemen were harder to come by than an "equivalent" forward, even thought they usually cost less at the auction. (I didn't start the year with the def in my signature, I had to trade A LOT to get that strong of a defensemen core. I actually started off with Goligoski, Zaitsev and Vlasic... Yikes!)

So yeah, if this year was any indication, good defensemen have a lot of value.

I seem to remember that Boquist had quite a shot, is it because of the fact that he hasn't translated that to the pro game yet (so less NHL certainty) that you put him after Hughes?
    Yeah, I think Boqvist's upside is higher than Hughes's in your league because of that bonus for goals. But he needs more development time and he's riskier because of that and also because his defensive game isn't anywhere near as good as Hughes's.

This is what I wrote about Boqvist in the latest SHL Report that was just published today:
    Adam Boqvist's offensive upside is actually pretty close to Dahlin's but there's significantly more risk with him because his defensive game still needs improvements and he hasn't managed to do much at the pro level. I don't see dropping out of the top 10 and I wouldn't be surprised to see him go in the top 5. If you want to swing for high upside, I recommend targeting him very early in your fantasy hockey draft. If it wasn't for Dahlin in this draft, we'd be talking a lot more about Boqvist - sort of similar to what happened last year with Cale Makar.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Piggybacking on this as I also own the #5 pick in one of my leagues. We use H2H categories that include G/A/P/PPP/Shots/Hits/Blocks and a few others so multicat.

I also own the 3 pick (Zadina) and know Tkachuk will go #4, so at 5 I'm between the same 3 guys Wahlstrom, Hughes, Boqvist and think it really boils down to Wahlstrom vs Hughes for me.

I'm able to trade the pick for Liljegren and either Max Gildon or Morgan Frost.

Our draft starts tomorrow so won't know landing spots.

So basically which side would you rather:
    Wahlstrom/Hughes or Liljegren + Frost/Gildon?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Now that the draft is done and we know who went where in what order, I'll ask again : considering that shots ARE NOT a stat in our league, who should I grab at #5 overall? I guess I'm pretty much still looking at Wahlstrom, Hughes or Boquist, but I'm very much open to suggestion.

Dobber Sports Stud

I'd narrow it down to Hughes and Boqvist. Then it's up to you how much risk you want to take.

Hughes: safer bet but defintely a high end fantasy d man. I love his spot on Vancouver and he will put up a ton of points with EP and BB up front. Then with Demko in net... I'm liking what Vancouver is going to look like in the future.

Boqvist: more risk but this guy will get you more goals. I got excited when Chicago picked him. That told me that Boqvist is legitimate and the risk is probably not significant enough if a team (like Chicago) is going to spend an 8th overall on him. Especially when that team doesn't come across top ten picks very often.

Can't miss with either of these guys. I'd do some homework, then take one of them.
    20tm UFA/RFA dynasty

Cats: G, A, SOG, STpts, +/-, hits/bs, GAA, Sv%, W+SO

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Hughes for me.
    Keep in mind that most NHL teams are running a 4F:1D PP1 unit these days.
    So if PPP (and points) are heavily-weighted, you want a D that can run that PP.

VAN, going forward (IMO) is in much better shape than CHI.
    With Horvat, Pettersson, and Boeser... Hughes is going to have some electricity on that PP1 unit.

Who knows what Chicago will look like in 3+ years when Boqvist supplants Keith...
    But it could be a really sad team. Their PP has already started to struggle a bit. (4th worst in NHL last year).

Quinn Hughes for me.